It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thumb prints at banks when cashing checks - do you still get asked for this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I remember around early 2000's I started seeing these little containers of black wax at the bank tellers and when I would cash or deposit a check they would ask for a thumb print on the back of the check. This wax would easily rub off (my finger) after doing the print but IDK how permanent it was on the checks. Then after a few years this seemed to just disappear and I've never been asked again and never seen it since.

I think this is really odd that it came out of no-where and maybe it had something to do with 9/11 and the Patriot Act. After a number of years, maybe they had collected everyone's prints and no longer needed to do this or something. I know there was no difference in my ID until just last year with the issuing of "Real ID", so I don't think this was stopped b/c people suddenly got better ID's that couldn't be counter fitted.

Do any of you remember going through this for a time? Do you remember why they started doing it and why they stopped? Do any of you still have to give a print to cash a check or deposit it?

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Good one, man

I forgot about that hassle, what an invasion that was

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
I remember around early 2000's I started seeing these little containers of black wax at the bank tellers and when I would cash or deposit a check they would ask for a thumb print on the back of the check. This wax would easily rub off (my finger) after doing the print but IDK how permanent it was on the checks. Then after a few years this seemed to just disappear and I've never been asked again and never seen it since.

I think this is really odd that it came out of no-where and maybe it had something to do with 9/11 and the Patriot Act. After a number of years, maybe they had collected everyone's prints and no longer needed to do this or something. I know there was no difference in my ID until just last year with the issuing of "Real ID", so I don't think this was stopped b/c people suddenly got better ID's that couldn't be counter fitted.

Do any of you remember going through this for a time? Do you remember why they started doing it and why they stopped? Do any of you still have to give a print to cash a check or deposit it?

Nope. Neither bank, nor credit union....as long as you have an acct., credit, debit or store bought $$ card.

Now, payroll advance and check cashing places... probably.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

It still happens, it all depends on if you have an account with that particular bank or not. Let's say you have a check written off of ABC Bank that you take to them to cash but you do not have a bank account with them. Many banks will require a non-customer to not only show ID, but to also give either their thumb or right index finger. I don't know of any bank that would require that if you have an account with them, though.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Never!

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Well I'm glad I'm not the only person who remembers this or went through it. I know two large banks and a number or regional ones had this policy, Wachovia, Citizens, First Union and many smaller ones. They didn't ask only when you didn't have an account with them, I had to do it even when depositing in my account which is why I found it so odd and when I asked I was told it was a new law which IIRC was pretty close to after 9-11.

I've been cashing checks at banks that I don't have an account with since at least 2010 w/o a print, I had to show my license but that was it. I don't even see the little container of wax sitting at the teller's anymore either.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Every now and then I go to the Bank of the bullion dealer to cash a check for some gold or silver I just sold. I have bot required to submit a fingerprint.

my payroll goes onto a prepaid debit card which I withdraw as cash asap. I don't do bank accounts anymore. I like my cash/gold & silver life. Barter too!

You know electronic debits is how the empire finances eternal war. So if you are anti-war, I would suggest stop financing it with your electronic debit fees.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   

If someone writes you a personal check and you take it at their bank to cash it, unless you have an account there you will need to put a finger print on the check.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Never been asked for one because I've never cashed a cheque. It's 2018

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Are you serious? You think a government has to rely on / has anything to do with bank fees? Try taxes...

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

Never been asked for one because I've never cashed a cheque. It's 2018

The fingerprint thing is surprising - especially when these days we just take a pic of the cheque with the banking app, or if it’s from employment, it’s been direct deposit for over a decade from most employers

American people’s fingerprints are just on file somewhere?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero
thats what bank fees are. They are hidden taxes...
you have to learn to start reading between the lines to see what is going on in the real world.
Official taxes alone could never fund the volume of warfare that now exists in the modern age.

Every day, unfathomable amounts of money move around the world. How much are we talking about? According to the US Treasury Department, the SWIFT international payment network handles more than $1.25 quadrillion dollars per annum, CHIPS transfers $400 trillion dollars, while Fedwire moves $900 trillion. Once you add smaller payment networks into the mix, and more than $2.5 quadrillion dollars flow across borders every year.

I did the math. Even overestimating the fee schedule of a third of a percent, that generates 7,500,000,000,000 trillion dollars from the fees. Where do you think that money is going?? How many nations can generate that volume of tax every year ....

they have been in space for decades, and have taken their wars there as well. How else can you explain where this money goes, or why the Empire never actually is in danger of failing financially?
Lets just lowball it and say only half a trillion dollars is generated form electronic fees which include not just your daily payments, but the interbank payments for import exports between nations as well.

Anyone who uses electronic funds transfer, whether they want to believe it or not, is directly financing and responsible for the global and orbital warfare between the powers of the world. We are just ants though, so the best thing you can do for peace of mind is to simpyk say "hey, at least it is not my money they are generating fees from. I have no deposits in banks and I only pay in cash when possible, except for when I use their system to accumulate their money (gold and silver)"

Its ok though, humans are born to be hypocrites.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I was already a landed immigrant in Canada when 9/11 happened, and there was never any such policy in place up here, so I didn't even know about this. Wow. Checks were nearly non-existant up here as they'd been pretty much replaced by debit cards.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

Yep, Canada went the debit card route long before the US. I remember being on a business trip there years ago, and it was odd to me at the time.

top topics

join