It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the winters are getting colder and longer.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Correlation does not impy causation.
The "Little Ice Age" (which seems to have been a northern hemispheric phenomenon, European in particular) began well before the Maunder Minimum. There is scant evidence that the Minimum had much to do with it.

While the MM occurred within the much longer LIA period, the timing of the features are not suggestive of causation and should not, in isolation, be used as evidence of significant solar forcing of climate. Climate model simulations suggest multiple factors, particularly volcanic activity, were crucial for causing the cooler temperatures in the northern hemisphere during the LIA. A reduction in total solar irradiance likely contributed to the LIA at a level comparable to changing land use.
www.research.ed.ac.uk...

Indeed, solar activity has been on the decline for 60 years and yet, the planet is warming.

edit on 11/10/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You always talk about these subjects like there is some sort of agreed upon science by the entire scientific community and you know that's not true.

swsc-journal.org

While the MM occurred within the much longer LIA period, the timing of the features are not suggestive of causation and should not, in isolation, be used as evidence of significant solar forcing of climate. Climate model simulations suggest multiple factors, particularly volcanic activity, were crucial for causing the cooler temperatures in the northern hemisphere during the LIA.

looks like there isn't a straight forward conclusion that can be drawn from the studies however we are currently entering into these conditions now so it will be obvious when what happens continues to happen.

PNAS

We have determined that the climate signals in all three records strongly correlate with changes in the polarity of solar dipole magnetic field, suggesting a causal link to galactic cosmic rays (GCRs). These findings are further supported by a comparison between the interannual patterns of tree-ring δ18O record and the GCR flux reconstructed by an ice-core 10Be record. Therefore, the variation of GCR flux associated with the multidecadal cycles of solar magnetic field seem to be causally related to the significant and widespread climate changes at least during the Maunder Minimum.

Is PNAS respected scientific journal? I know it goes against your narrative but I highly suggest taking a more neutral position on this topic as we will know over the next few years the truth one way or another.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

There is no doubt that the Maunder Minimum occurred. There is a good amount of evidence that reduced solar activity results in increased cosmic ray flux. This is readily observable.

The paper you cite is quite old and it does seem to claim that correlation implies causation. It does not explain why the Little Ice Age began long before the Maunder Minimum. The bit about solar polarity is interesting but I can't seem to find much to support the notion that any particular solar polarity would influence how cosmic radiation would affect the Northern Hemisphere more than the Southern Hemisphere.

Solar activity has been declining for 60 years. Global temperatures have been rising. The impact of cosmic ray flux on climate is highly questionable.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I would also like to throw this in there for anyone watching this topic.

NASA

There are unique space weather effects that get stronger during solar minimum. For example, the number of galactic cosmic rays that reach Earth’s upper atmosphere increases during solar minimum. Galactic cosmic rays are high energy particles accelerated toward the solar system by distant supernova explosions and other violent events in the galaxy.

ARXIV

The discussion here here seems to point to conclusion that cosmic rays play much more prominent role that is currently believed; specifically: 1) cosmic ray intensity seems to correlate with seismic activity on Earth much better than solar activity;

Volcanic eruptions

On a global scale, in any week in 2017, there were at least between 14 and 27 volcanoes erupting.

IOPscience

IOPscience

Key explanation on effect of Fundamental Law of Momentum Conservation is given on the basis of Cosmo-Physical processes, which can be connected with all kinds of recently known geo-effective phenomena. Many works have been devoted to searches of extraterrestrial sources of generation of earthquake initiation preconditions. There is a direct indication on the fact in these works that all kinds of geo-active fluxes of plasma, which goes ahead of strong geomagnetic storms, concomitant to the earthquakes, may be served as favourable conditions for earthquake appearance.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

The impact of cosmic ray flux on climate is highly questionable.

So we can at least agree on the fact that this isn't exactly settled science and in the next few years we are without a doubt going to know more?

They can only play with the numbers so much before they have to admit that the sun has the greatest impact on our climate and anyone with more than 1 brain cell in their head should know that.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

For example, the number of galactic cosmic rays that reach Earth’s upper atmosphere increases during solar minimum.

No doubt about it.

1) cosmic ray intensity seems to correlate with seismic activity on Earth much better than solar activity;
Correlation does not imply causation and we are talking about climate.

On a global scale, in any week in 2017, there were at least between 14 and 27 volcanoes erupting.
Ok.

There is a direct indication on the fact in these works that all kinds of geo-active fluxes of plasma, which goes ahead of strong geomagnetic storms, concomitant to the earthquakes, may be served as favourable conditions for earthquake appearance.
I disagree and we are talking about climate. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

NCBI

This suggests that there are combined effects of solar, cosmic rays, geophysical and human activity on climate change patterns. It should be noted that more detailed investigations of such complex interactions are necessary.

NCBI

It can be concluded that a sudden l drop in Kp, Electron flux, Proton flux and X-ray flux is an indication of atmospheric disturbance (Figure 2). This incidence may be followed by anomalous behavior of Indian monsoon, which ultimately leads to erratic rainfall pattern. Due to low Electron flux the local drop in temperature in the upper part of atmosphere leads to condense the clouds on the affected part of the earth. Contrary to this the rise in Kp indices, E-flux and Proton flux, as well as X-ray flux, leads to the occurrence of earthquakes.

weather.com

A persistent wet pattern has been in place over the East for much of this year, which has resulted in record-breaking rainfall in some areas.

Rounds of heavy rainfall led to historic flooding this summer, especially in parts of the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

Due to the recent rainfall, several cities in the East are experiencing their wettest year-to-date through Aug. 15, based on data from the Southeast Regional Climate Center.

Like I said, it's already happening and you won't be able to ignore it for much longer.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadlink

Electrical currents flow across the Oceans, water is Paramagnetic. So I guess it figures that any change I the magnetic fields of the Sun and Earth could effect the flow of water around the planet, and the heat distribution. Therefore the climate as well.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

could the change in magnetic fields of the sun be related to the electric universe theory, is that what you are implying?

electric universe

“In August 1972 Ralph Juergens introduced the concept of the electrically powered Sun.(1a)[1] He was inspired by Immanuel Velikovsky’s contention that electromagnetic forces played a crucial role in sculpting the surfaces and shaping the orbits of the bodies of the solar system; (1b)[3] by Melvin Cook’s attempts to unify the electromagnetic and gravitational fields; (1c)[4] and by the voluminous literature of Charles Bruce intimating that the phenomena observed in stellar atmospheres could be described adequately by an electrical discharge model .(1d)[5]

spare me the Velikovsky stuff I've read it

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

So. You have no idea, so you just post the results of some keyword searches.

Good on ya.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

that's not much of a way to refute analysis

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I see no analysis on your part.
Gish galloping , perhaps.

Earthquakes and cosmic rays and solar activity and climate. Oh my.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

yeah it doesn't work with your narrative, it sucks having to think that the greatest impact on our climate is directly linked to the sun

imagine that, the sun being the main driver behind the earth's climate. it's almost unbelievable

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

imagine that, the sun being the main driver behind the earth's climate.

Who has said otherwise?

Cosmic rays, on the other hand...

Meanwhile, solar activity has been declining for 60 years while global temperatures have been rising and the Sun isn't getting hotter.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I don't have to argue the maunder minimum is happening as we speak so it's not like we will never know or this is some abstract thing we can't test

it's currently turning to winter where I live, last year there was 10 foot high glaciers forming on the river banks because it got cold during the winter that the entire river froze and caused a massive build up all around the bridges leaving literal glaciers all along the river that didn't melt until july

it's suppose to get even colder this winter

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I don't have to argue the maunder minimum is happening as we speak so it's not like we will never know or this is some abstract thing we can't test

The Maunder Minimum happened 300 years ago. It was a thing. Named after a fellow named Maunder.

it's suppose to get even colder this winter
Do you think that global warming means it will never be cold anywhere?

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

ok well you play silly games and parrot narratives and I'll closely observe what's happening in real time, who cares

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

ok well you play silly games

Sometimes. But only when someone is being silly.

I'll closely observe what's happening in real time
Keep that narrow view. You'll do fine. Probly.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
accuweather

We got snow again today in State College, PA. The irony is that flowers bloomed a month earlier in 2012 so I had trouble taking that flowers-with-snow photo this year (this photo was taken next to AccuWeather's warm building where flowers have started to bloom).

yawn, global warming, yawn... but this isn't exactly an accurate prediction for what happens globally though is it? I'm guessing there's going to be more massive downpours like we had literally all summer where it rained every single days for 2 months straight with no breaks

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join