It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can property owners on US/Mex border place a fence on their border property?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
If a person owns property that is on the US/Mexico border, can they legally place a fence on the border? Would there be any restrictions to this type of fencing? What are the legalities of doing such a thing?
edit on 11 8 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

There is a servitude so no. No different than a home owner, Most homes have a servitude for water, drainage, phone poles. Can't build on it. With countries there is normally an agreement on the width of it.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   
To answer your question - yes.
There is a boundary along borders , waterways , roads , railways , etc. that one cannot own. It belongs to the US Federal/State govt.
So , any land that is owned would be outside that boundary , and would full well be the owner's property.

In fact , the government cannot build a "wall" on said land unless purchased lawfully from the owner or declaring eminent domain over said property in a Court of Law.

edit on 11/8/18 by Gothmog because: clarify

edit on 11/8/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

There is a servitude so no. No different than a home owner, Most homes have a servitude for water, drainage, phone poles. Can't build on it. With countries there is normally an agreement on the width of it.

?

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This one guy on the news showed his property border, which is the US/mexico border as well, and it has a 4ft high barb wire fence on it (I don't think he put it there). His property is 15 miles long along the border and complains that his property is full of illegals trapesing through, leaving trash, carrying drugs, etc.

So can this guy put a fence where the barbed wire fence is?

Could it be lined with razor wire if he wanted? A couple rows of barbed wire if he wanted? All on his property of course, not on any federal property or Mexican land.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I watched a show about it. The hundreds of miles of US border fencing already there is on US soil. The actual border is not built upon. There is a gap (servitude) between the two countries.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
This one guy on the news showed his property border, which is the US/mexico border as well, and it has a 4ft high barb wire fence on it (I don't think he put it there). His property is 15 miles long along the border and complains that his property is full of illegals trapesing through, leaving trash, carrying drugs, etc.

So can this guy put a fence where the barbed wire fence is?

Could it be lined with razor wire if he wanted? A couple rows of barbed wire if he wanted? All on his property of course, not on any federal property or Mexican land.

Ok, I think I understand. So can someone put barbed wire and large walls around their own personal property near the border? Depends on state laws but I imagine they could. Most businesses do this already in the US if they feel the need to do so. There probably are no home owner associations close to the border so that would not be an issue.

It sounds like his property line butts up against the actual federal wall/razor wire. I don't see why he could not put up another barrier. The property lines though, there would still have to be room for the likely Federal wall to be serviced. Maybe 30ft or something. It would be outline on the property deed normally with horizontal lines or X's.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 04:37 AM
link   

When 90% of them are probably on cartel payroll, why would they?

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Not sure anyone can own the government easement...it's the few ft between actual boarder line and a person's property.

Example? The sidewalk in front of my home...and the tree and grass...from sidewalk to street is the cities property, not mine.

Yet, it's on my/part of my, taxed as mine...but that belongs to the city.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

taxed as mine...but that belongs to the city.

Don't you love that, you have to pay taxes but for practical purposes it is not yours to use as you please.

Sames happens with flood control districts.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

taxed as mine...but that belongs to the city.

Don't you love that, you have to pay taxes but for practical purposes it is not yours to use as you please.

Sames happens with flood control districts.

Yeah...and I'd like my tree removed, roots pushing up driveway....but the city says no-way. Its healthy and on your city easement, so...NO.

OXYMORONIC response if I ever heard one. "It's on YOUR (my) CITY easement". WTF?

Eta: Having a dbl large yard, 2 property width..I let dogs crap on the far end easement. I called the city to come clean up their part. Truck arrived in hrs and cleaned it all up.

Next day's mail brought a bill for $55.*

*To make things worse...I work for the damn city...sigh...
edit on 8-11-2018 by mysterioustranger because: Cause

new topics

top topics

join