It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cherokee Nation Issues Statement Regarding Sen. Warren

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
We have heard from the right, we have heard from the left. We have heard from the political pundits and we have heard from everyday citizens. However, we had not heard from the one group who's opinion REALLY matters....until now.

The Cherokee Nation has issued a statement to clarify their position with regards to Senator Elizabeth Warren's newly released DNA results.

amp.kjrh.com...

"A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship. Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person's ancestors were indigenous to North or South America. Sovereign tribal nations set their own legal requirements for citizenship, and while DNA tests can be used to determine lineage, such as paternity to an individual, it is not evidence for tribal affiliation. Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong. It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, who ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is prove. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage."

- Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin, Jr.

This statement is a good reminder, not just to any specific individual, but to all of us Americans that our family's oral history is ultimately just a story. Many of us have stories about the Apache Warrior or Cherokee Princess from several generations ago that we are related to. Without proper paperwork and due diligence, they are nothing more than just "feel good" stories for our families.

The indigenous people of this nation are the only group of people that nobody seems to get in an uproar about and run to protect. It's still acceptable to look down upon this group of people. It's still ok to hold on to preconceived stereotypes that would be considered incredibly racist if it were any other group. The only time that either political party thinks about them is when they can be used as cheap fodder to help advance their agenda.

The native people of this country truly seem to be wiser than the rest of us. They have always known and understood that neither of the political parties care about us regular folks...well, until we can be used by them.

+20 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Tanga36

Meanwhile the front page of stupid MSN news is "Senator Warren says Trump's comments on her DNA test are 'Creepy' ",

lol pathetic MSM, reaching.

I hope THIS official message from The Cherokee Nation does get some traction and makes it to the news

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tanga36
We have heard from the right, we have heard from the left. We have heard from the political pundits and we have heard from everyday citizens. However, we had not heard from the one group who's opinion REALLY matters....until now.

The Cherokee Nation has issued a statement to clarify their position with regards to Senator Elizabeth Warren's newly released DNA results.

amp.kjrh.com...

"A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship. Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person's ancestors were indigenous to North or South America. Sovereign tribal nations set their own legal requirements for citizenship, and while DNA tests can be used to determine lineage, such as paternity to an individual, it is not evidence for tribal affiliation. Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong. It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, who ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is prove. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage."

- Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin, Jr.

This statement is a good reminder, not just to any specific individual, but to all of us Americans that our family's oral history is ultimately just a story. Many of us have stories about the Apache Warrior or Cherokee Princess from several generations ago that we are related to. Without proper paperwork and due diligence, they are nothing more than just "feel good" stories for our families.

The indigenous people of this nation are the only group of people that nobody seems to get in an uproar about and run to protect. It's still acceptable to look down upon this group of people. It's still ok to hold on to preconceived stereotypes that would be considered incredibly racist if it were any other group. The only time that either political party thinks about them is when they can be used as cheap fodder to help advance their agenda.

The native people of this country truly seem to be wiser than the rest of us. They have always known and understood that neither of the political parties care about us regular folks...well, until we can be used by them.

Additionally? On many census from the 1800's...a indian related white person could be listed "C" for colored....and they had no designation for native American.
edit on 16-10-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
IMHO we need to re-evaluate our current views on the word and meaning of indigenous....we now have substantial volumes of evidence showing that there were peoples other than Native Americans IN AMERICA before the current tribes of Natives arrived....so the Red People are not indigenous to NA they TRAVELLED to NA...…

The corporate control is fabricated....the agreements signed are meaningless....the Treaties are meaningless...for the Indians were never indigenous....the wrongs committed against them cannot be quantified and excused using the word indigenous.....the Treaties were knowingly and fraudulently enacted....

The word indigenous was CREATED to cripple races...to undermine humanitys unity....and to MANIPULATE peoples.

There was a race war...atrocities were committed....millions and millions of people were killed and displaced....then illegal meaningless Treaties were signed.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Sen. Orrin Hatch now claims he's 1/1024 T-Rex and the rest other Dinosaurs.....

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I heard they didn't do any comparison to any Native American DNA, they use Hispanic/South American matches to qualify as possible NA heritage.

american dna samples to test against instead used columbian, mexican, peruvian dna to compare...
It's also not even a positive match, it's more suggestive. Strong evidence there may have been an ancestor of NA heritage? What is that exactly? It's either there or not there.
edit on 16-10-2018 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

+38 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Liberals simply dont care what real Native Indians think.
They use them, just like they do every race. Divide, set against each other and use. That is their modus operandi.

I doubt any liberal here on ats or elsewhere will take a step back, admit Warren is not a Native Indian and condemn her for her what she did and is doing. Not when they have their anti Trump agenda to push.
edit on 16/10/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Meanwhile the front page of stupid MSN news is "Senator Warren says Trump's comments on her DNA test are 'Creepy' ",

lol pathetic MSM, reaching.

I hope THIS official message from The Cherokee Nation does get some traction and makes it to the news

The different tribes of American Indians always seem to put things back into perspective and they do it by taking the "high road" instead of getting involved in the mud-slinging. I'm just as guilty as anyone else when it comes to "forgetting" about these people. Where I live, several tribes used to call it home until they were forced West. My town is named after a chief of one of the tribes but I still forget about them. Even though they are often forgotten, I still have the utmost respect for them and I'm reminded why that is whenever something like this happens.

One can only hope that this story gains some traction with the MSM but I won't be holding my breath. This doesn't cause divide or an uproar with the masses.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

And that is a travesty, in my opinion. So much evidence was lost because of that. I only have the familial stories about my dad's grandmother to go by and very little trail to help me sniff out her heritage. I've only been able to make calculated guesses regarding where she came from and what her story is.

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The left has Warren.

The Right has Chuck Norris ( real native ancestry).

#stillwinning.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
It seems even some of the dems at MSNBC aren't real happy with EW.
"The results are in"
At about 2:40 Mark has the Cherokee Nation statement aired on CNN. Then at about 4 min MSNBC is not very pleased with EW, figuring it doesn't reflect highly on dem election efforts.

edit on 10 16 2018 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

There are so many great points in your post that I'm still trying to absorb them all. I agree, there is more than enough evidence to say that they traveled here and were not "indigenous" as we understand the word to mean. The info has yet to reach the masses, though. Those in control, control the story. Only what they want to come out, comes out.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Warren got jobs at Harvard and Penn State using her "Proud Indian Heritage" to give her a leg up.

Shame Shame!

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

While that's certainly true, I think the specific point being made in their statement is that DNA tests cannot prove specific tribal affiliations.

Side note, I remember reading an article a while back about how a lot of black folks who had grown up hearing family stories about having native ancestors were taking DNA tests and finding out their supposed native ancestry was actually European.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tanga36
a reply to: mysterioustranger

And that is a travesty, in my opinion. So much evidence was lost because of that. I only have the familial stories about my dad's grandmother to go by and very little trail to help me sniff out her heritage. I've only been able to make calculated guesses regarding where she came from and what her story is.

contact me privately about genealogy questions...I may be able to advise...am in touch with several tribal nation leaders and a professional geneologist

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Would advise everyone...EVERYONE...read the book called TRAIL OF TEARS...where we were forced out of our lands of mountains rivers and abundance...

Many old and young died along the marching way...to the flat lands of praries...because the American gov. wanted the land east of the Mississippi River for white settlement.

M.S.
Cherokee/Eastern Band
Chickasaw

edit on 16-10-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Well this sure seems a hatchet blow to the issue.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

That is SOOOO RACIST!!!

I think anyway????? Losing track.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Love him or hate him, Mark Dice is one pretty funny guy! Lol! I always seem to catch myself smiling or laughing while watching his videos even if it's just at his rocking back n forth while listening to the clips.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Warren got jobs at Harvard and Penn State using her "Proud Indian Heritage" to give her a leg up.

Shame Shame!

Pretty sure I heard that employment records were released which do not show her claiming native heritage as part of obtaining employment.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join