It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular weed killer may be to blame for honey bee deaths

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   
MSM Source: Popular weed killer may be to blame for honey bee deaths

Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin recently discovered bees “lose some of the beneficial bacteria in their guts and are more susceptible to infection and death from harmful bacteria” when exposed to a popular herbicide called glyphosate.

A study, published this week in the “Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences,” describes the method scientists used to draw that conclusion. “The researchers exposed honey bees to glyphosate at levels known to occur in crop fields, yards and roadsides.

The researchers painted the bees’ backs with colored dots so they could be tracked and later recaptured,” UT Austin said in a statement.

Glyphosate was found to have “significantly reduced healthy gut microbiota” when scientists looked after three days.

So, it seems the research study found actual data revealing the beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract of honey bees is being negatively affected by a chemical in RoundUp. It causes the bee to not gain weight as a normal unaffected bee does, and it lowers the disease resistance of the bee making it susceptible to deadly diseases.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here regarding the vast rise in numbers of human cases of sicknesses? Hmmm, what is Monsanto's response to this study you may ask?

But Monsanto -- whose product Roundup contains the herbicide -- has denied that glyphosate is harmful to them.

“Claims that glyphosate has a negative impact on honey bees are simply not true,” a spokesman for the company told The Guardian. “No large-scale study has found any link between glyphosate and the decline of the honeybee population.”

This sure sounds like the same position "Big Tobacco" had regarding the link to cancer from the use of their product!!! There WAS proven conspiracy to defraud and cover up the link in that case. Does anyone doubt this same scenario is now playing out at Monsanto????

For those fluent in chemical and biological terminology, I also provide a link to the research paper from which this story is sourced.

Link to scientific research: Glyphosate perturbs the gut microbiota of honey bees

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I personally LOVE it that all of these schemes and problems and lawsuits on/with/concerning Monsanto plop up as soon as BAYER bought them.

Yes, really. Even if this seems like such a shady kind of practice. And Bayer being a German company.

Because I want Bayer to suffer for buying Monsanto!
I would have liked EVERY company to suffer from buying Monsanto, and of course Monsanto itself should suffer, too!

THIS is what you should get when you partner up with a person/company who does what Monsanto did and does!
edit on 26 9 2018 by ManFromEurope because: (grammar)

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 02:43 AM
link   
i hope monsatan pays dearly for the things they have done

i need no more proof than there own employees refusing to eat gmo food THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE POSION AND TELL US ITS SAFE WILL NOT EAT IT

to bad i doubt they will pay between there lobbyist and ability to mess with food supply they have us bye the avocados with a vicegrip

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
i hope monsatan pays dearly for the things they have done

i need no more proof than there own employees refusing to eat gmo food THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE POSION AND TELL US ITS SAFE WILL NOT EAT IT

to bad i doubt they will pay between there lobbyist and ability to mess with food supply they have us bye the avocados with a vicegrip

Please show me where you get this bs thought of yours. GMO foods are in the best interest of mankind. It kills the "common sense " cells in the brain. That is the best by product of GMO foods and you can't go wrong with that. Just ask the Russian govt. that bans GMO foods and see all the people that haven't lost their common sense.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Kills bees? Check.
In our food and water supply? Check.
Turns frogs gay? AHhahahhaha listen to the whacky conspiracy theorist, what a loon, don't even listen to a word he says.. Gay frogs, aaahahahahah...

Hmmm...

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Umm....what Bayer did amd does makes monsanto look like an environmental advocacy group.

Zyklon B and HIV infected medication is as evil as can be without creating a new term for super evil.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Umm....what Bayer did amd does makes monsanto look like an environmental advocacy group.

Zyklon B

That wasn't Bayer but Degesch. Not affiliated afaik.

and HIV infected medication

In fact that was Cutter. Which was a subsidiary company in 1980s. Who produced against better knowledge, as far as Wikipedia told me, a legal and licensed blood plasma which wasn't heat-treated until 1984. Which is evil

is as evil as can be without creating a new term for super evil.

The early 80s were.. relaxed and ignorant concerning ways of distributing the HI-virus. Not saying that this is a good practice in any way, but Monsanto is real evil.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

That wasn't Bayer but Degesch. Not affiliated afaik.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

IG Farben. Which included Bayer.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
hmm bee polulations - fluctuate - across the globe - for various reasons

what SEEMS to be missing from this is :

a " heat map " combining glyphosate use and bee decline

some areas of the world - are heavily dependant of the " round-up read " GMO crops

other areas - dont use them at all - and have very limited glyposate use

s0 n- question is wheres the data - that SHOULD show correlation between glyphosate use and be decline - is actually a function ?

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
I personally LOVE it that all of these schemes and problems and lawsuits on/with/concerning Monsanto plop up as soon as BAYER bought them.

Yes, really. Even if this seems like such a shady kind of practice. And Bayer being a German company.

Because I want Bayer to suffer for buying Monsanto!
I would have liked EVERY company to suffer from buying Monsanto, and of course Monsanto itself should suffer, too!

THIS is what you should get when you partner up with a person/company who does what Monsanto did and does!

Does seems a bit suspicious after the company was sold to Bayer (Germany) that you now have lawsuits and such and before they where untouchable (I guess very well protected in the US).
Anyways it was a stupid take over for sure but it does keep me wondering if this is on purpose (after the buyout).

Wouldn't surprise me that you will get crazy lawsuits (worth billions) and that Bayer perhaps goes broke.
edit on 26-9-2018 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Zyklon B and HIV infected medication is as evil as can be without creating a new term for super evil.

You forgot they invented Heroin and sold it as a non-addictive medicine to get off of opium!

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Hasn't this been known for a while now? We don't use that stuff at our house at all because of it, and haven't for a few years now. But, of course, many people around us do use it, so I don't know how much our efforts are helping, but we'll keep it up.

I have seen a very noticeable drop in the amount of bees during the summer time over the past decade--it's really sad to see. I read somewhere that the bumble bee is being put on one of the protected lists because of the drop in their numbers.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Yep, nothing to see here....,

...Move quietly along, plebs,....

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parishna

Kills bees? Check.
In our food and water supply? Check.
Turns frogs gay? AHhahahhaha listen to the whacky conspiracy theorist, what a loon, don't even listen to a word he says.. Gay frogs, aaahahahahah...

Hmmm...

The whole "gay frogs" thing really isn't far off. IDK exactly what he was talking about, but some pollutants from plastics raise estrogen levels as well as some pesticides. This has effected the tadpole population and is a reason why some populations of frogs has drastically decreased over the last 20+ years to a mere fraction of their numbers years ago. As far as turning them "gay", IDK if that is an exaggeration or a stretch in the correlation.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Hasn't this been known for a while now? We don't use that stuff at our house at all because of it, and haven't for a few years now. But, of course, many people around us do use it, so I don't know how much our efforts are helping, but we'll keep it up.

I have seen a very noticeable drop in the amount of bees during the summer time over the past decade--it's really sad to see. I read somewhere that the bumble bee is being put on one of the protected lists because of the drop in their numbers.

The British farming community commented on this way back in the mid 1990's. The Times had a column in their countryside section about the Farmers Diary. Made note that when the rapeseed fields were bright and yellow,
the bumble bees would become slow and dozy with the heavy pungent fumes. That would lead to them either becoming
exhausted and crawling along the ground or getting squished by vehicles travelling along the country roads.

It's always amazed me to see the number of bees crawling around the ground after lawns had been cut.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Oh, not with the bees again. There was a honey bee shortage a few years ago which had nothing to do with Monsanto or global warming or bee indigestion but instead was directly related to the honey bee industry splitting hives for rental -- yes, renting bee boxes is a thing -- and spreading the hives too thin so that they could meet the crazy demands of the old yuppies who want their fancy-ass artisanal honey. There's no shortage of wild bees, wasps, and all the other insects that pollinate our crops.

This could actually be a case of that "fake news" that people talk about.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

There's no shortage of wild bees, wasps, and all the other insects that pollinate our crops.

Well, if you say so, it should be good enough for everyone, I suppose.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
prelude to a double post ….
edit on 26-9-2018 by Fowlerstoad because: double post, second time was better

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I am totally on the same page that you are.

"Because I want Bayer to suffer for buying Monsanto!

THIS is what you should get when you partner up with a person/company who does what Monsanto did and does!"

Uhh … and what Bayer did (and does?), like producing homicidal gas for the waging of war?

These two companies completely deserve each other, and I am glad Bayer bought Monsanto, so that (hopefully) they can both go to complete zero to pay for their crimes against people and our environment:

www.globalresearch.ca...

edit on 26-9-2018 by Fowlerstoad because: added a sentance

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Oh, not with the bees again. There was a honey bee shortage a few years ago which had nothing to do with Monsanto or global warming or bee indigestion but instead was directly related to the honey bee industry splitting hives for rental -- yes, renting bee boxes is a thing -- and spreading the hives too thin so that they could meet the crazy demands of the old yuppies who want their fancy-ass artisanal honey. There's no shortage of wild bees, wasps, and all the other insects that pollinate our crops.

This could actually be a case of that "fake news" that people talk about.

I take it you didn't actually read the scientific research paper? Yeah, I thought not. This was done very methodically and repeated with the same outcome.

But, if mister random person on the Internet says not to worry, I guess that overrides people that have education and actual hard scientific research proof of a connection.

Thanks for your input, Sgt...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join