It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular weed killer may be to blame for honey bee deaths

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I still wonder if the bee decline which is real isn't actually a combination of factors including cell phones and towers in conjunction with chemicals used in agriculture and lawn care.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

No kidding, I hope Monsanto goes bankrupt due to lawsuits..too bad all their investors can't be made to go down too.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I saw no mention of the Varroa mite here
Varroa Destructor

It's the major cause of bee colony decline in Oz at least but my island still has healthy colonies (lots of bees on my flowering plants still)

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
As a beekeeper I can tell you that "we" have been saying this for YEARS.
Colony collapse Disorder is a terrible thing to witness.
Not sure how many bees/hives I have lost over the years.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

as for honey bee populations in general

www.acsh.org...

As for colony collapse disorder:

www.epa.gov...

As for frog depopulation:

amphibiaweb.org...

You know the real scandal here. It is so-called non-profits looking for a lawsuit payday a la tobacco lawsuits.

Tobacco lawsuits were based on junk science and so are the rumors of pesticides killing bees and frogs.

Its the rumors that are the real conspiracy

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: Quadrivium

as for honey bee populations in general

www.acsh.org...

As for colony collapse disorder:

www.epa.gov...

As for frog depopulation:

amphibiaweb.org...

You know the real scandal here. It is so-called non-profits looking for a lawsuit payday a la tobacco lawsuits.

Tobacco lawsuits were based on junk science and so are the rumors of pesticides killing bees and frogs.

Its the rumors that are the real conspiracy

I don't think it is a "rumor" when they spray the fields in the middle of the day (Supposed to be done at dusk or dawn, when pollinators are up for the day/night) and a few hours later you see dead/dyeing bees all around the hives. This has happened numerous times.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

I see you also did not read the research paper linked in the OP. I suggest you do that before spouting more falsehoods in favor of Monsanto.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Mutated frogs are strange and other sensitive agriculture we
rely on for food and other uses are easy to detect and study
because we are most aware of these animals.

Other species of animals are suddenly disappearing or located
in new places as the honeybee has done; chances are some
adverse change in their environment is causing these events.

Some change such as the addition to them of a new diet, or
constraining them in cages or changing their environment,
all would change them.

reply to: Asktheanimals

edit on 27-9-2018 by ThatDidHappen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I still wonder if the bee decline which is real isn't actually a combination of factors including cell phones and towers in conjunction with chemicals used in agriculture and lawn care.

I have thought the same for alot of stuff. When you get down to it we are literally bathed in EM radiation 24/7 and that may have a long term impact on our cells.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
We stopped using Round up about 10 years ago as part of our push to make our garden and landscaping organic.

While not scientific, our yard has no lawn but 100% native plants etc. We are literally a hive of pollinators. From Carpenter bees, to huge bumble bees, and everything in between.

Our neighbor down the block is the exact opposite. He spends more time spraying stuff than he does actually gardening. His yard is almost a dead zone when it comes to insects (which is the effect he is looking for) and it impacts the houses next to him as well who have bugs but not in great numbers.

The other issue beyond safety of the chemical in question is just plain old human stupidity. People don't follow directions, they spray too much of the stuff etc.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
A cell tower would output megawatts of power,
but it is many wavelengths of energy that passes
through solid matter and is reflected by dense
matter.

When passing through a living beings cells, the radiation
would pass through without absorption. A-bombs emit
radiation in the many gigawatt power range but it is
enough to destroy living cells.

a reply to: FredT

edit on 27-9-2018 by ThatDidHappen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

what am I supposed to be reading??????

something "MAY" be affecting honeybees "SUGGESTS"

Maybe you are the one who isn't reading the article very well. Words like "MAY" and "SUGGESTS" are not very conclusive. Are we supposed to be panicing here. Who did the the study? Is it just more junk science "adding to the body of the evidence"

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Zyklon B .

You're aware Zyklon was for delousing right ? It existed long before WW2, and was in use to control the spread of Typhus (mostly spread by lice and fleas) long before some whackjob decided to try it on humans.

It's still produced and distributed worldwide too BTW, it's called Cyanosil. Still same chemical, still does the same thing. It's a pesticide.
edit on 28-9-2018 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I'm starting to worry about the bees dying off. I have a pretty sever allergy to bee stings, so I'm pretty much always watching for them. We have a decent sized piece of land, surrounded by farm fields, with several apple and pear trees, which I usually have to avoid while mowing. Id guess theres usually at least several hundred bees on the fallen apples.

This year, I only saw a couple bees all summer. I can only think of 3 bees that I remember seeing. Never saw any bees on the apples. No hives, nothing... Instead there were only flies and butterflies on apples. The difference this year has been staggering.
edit on 28-9-2018 by Zadiel74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

what am I supposed to be reading??????

something "MAY" be affecting honeybees "SUGGESTS"

Maybe you are the one who isn't reading the article very well. Words like "MAY" and "SUGGESTS" are not very conclusive. Are we supposed to be panicing here. Who did the the study? Is it just more junk science "adding to the body of the evidence"

You obviously STILL have not read the actual research study I linked to in the OP (not the dumbed down article). Please read the research that shows who and how the research was done.

Your answers are there, if you dare....

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   
6 billiOn dollar take over I’m pretty sure 😧

a reply to: ManFromEurope

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I believe in 2015, the EPA used monstano's "research", to allow round up to continue in the markets. This is getting serious now, and Monsanto should be sued.

Unfortunately we have a government that is in bed with Monsanto. And all the EPA head is concerned with in trump's administration is deregulating everything.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

No kidding, I hope Monsanto goes bankrupt due to lawsuits..too bad all their investors can't be made to go down too.

Obama past the Monsanto protection act. Doesn't that help protect them? Monsanto has a ton of backing, including from people like bill gates who believe GMOs are some savior for starvation.

Then again, I'd be pushing the lie that GMOs are our savior if I owned millions of Monsanto stock.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Regarding Glyphosate, the peddlers should not be expected to accurately answer anything about their product -- because they do not know! (Scientifically speaking.)

Are there any long term (30+ years) studies done on the full spectrum ecological impact of transgenic GMO organisms?If there are no long term, full spectrum studies done, then why is GMO considered "safe" and approved for public use?

Short answer:

The short answer to this question is no, there are no 30-plus year studies done on GM crops.

No one really knows the long term effects of this stuff on a broad level... reminds me of countless other products out there as well..

GMO Answers response
edit on 29-9-2018 by Philippines because: citing the source properly

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

yes I read the original research

Again, A lot of maybe's and suggests but no hard evidence. I also notice that a large number of the target bees got lost. I wonder how the "lost" bees would have affected the final results.

Its not very scientific to "suggest" results when 20 % of the subjects ran away. Or could it be, as with so much other research nowadays, that 20 %of the bees did not show the desired results and were therefore put aside?

Did you read the research yourself?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join