It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Causing the U.S. Divorce Rate to Plummet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Millennials Are Causing the U.S. Divorce Rate to Plummet

Hey the kids are alright!! We may even learnt a lil sumsum, of what not to do if this trend holds.

Americans under the age of 45 have found a novel way to rebel against their elders: They’re staying married.

New data show younger couples are approaching relationships very differently from baby boomers, who married young, divorced, remarried and so on. Generation X and especially millennials are being pickier about who they marry, tying the knot at older ages when education, careers and finances are on track. The result is a U.S. divorce rate that dropped 18 percent from 2008 to 2016, according to an analysis by University of Maryland sociology professor Philip Cohen.

Demographers already knew the divorce rate was falling, even if the average American didn’t. Their question, however, was why? And what do current trends mean for the marital prospects of today’s newlyweds?

One theory is that divorce rates are falling largely because of other demographic changes—especially an aging population. Older people are less likely to get divorced, so maybe mellowing boomers were enough to explain the trend. Cohen’s analysis of U.S. Census Bureau survey data, however, suggests something more fundamental is at work. Even when he controls for factors such as age, the divorce rate over the same period still dropped 8 percent.
www.bloombergquint.com...=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2 F%2Fwww.bloombergquint.com

This is a good thing, they are spending smart , vacationing smart, and living smart..I truly wished them well, maybe they can teach GenX and even baby boomers a thing or two..love em...

edit on 25-9-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Sep 25 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote AND added tags IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Tue Sep 25 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I bet it was a study by millennials.

+19 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
You cant have divorces if you aren't having marriages...lol.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I think this is a little skewed. A lot of young people aren't getting married period.

Baby boomers and others it was expected you got married (even if you didn't want to) there was just that expectation, so that of course ended in divorce a lot of time.

Now these kids can get married, or not. So when they do get married they usually really want to and
don't necessarily have to. This is how I think it should be. Either way, kudos to them!

edit on 25-9-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

I bet it was a study by millennials.

Hahaha could be..

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
That's a good thing. I do wonder though if the biggest difference between groups has to do with having children or not. I suspect millenials due to marrying later are less likely to conceive children, alleviating financial stress somewhat over those who do have children.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

But when they do they stick it out tho.

link   

Interesting.

Without fact checking the stats I'll just state this as my own opinion from my own experiences. Fewer couples are getting married.

It's good to see marriage becoming more sacred again to those who do take the vows!

link   
I have a good number of millennials that work for me and they are not interested in marriage nor kids. Their lifestyle doesn't have room for kids and they see no reason to get married under some oppressive contract.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I think the pressure is off, especially for women.

We tell girls now that you don't have to get married if you don't want to, and we know they will be perfectly able to get a job and take care of themselves. That wasn't always the case.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
As already stated, most of that generation do not even see marriage as something viable for their lives. I call my ol lady my wife all the time. However, we are not actually married, legally or religiously. My reasoning was always, why ruin a perfectly good relationship by getting married?? Once your married, the only road from there is divorce.

I am 32 so I don't know if I am millennial or gen x or what. I just know that the vast majority of the friends I have that have children are not in fact married at all. Marriage is an antiquated idea anyways. Expectations of ownership over your partner and the ladies end up going crazy mental possessive afterwards and five minutes late from work becomes an interrogations s if you committed murder.

I think it is best that people are avoiding marriage like the plague. FFS, with the boomers as our biggest example, who in their right #ing mind would even want to be married??

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

I think it is best that people are avoiding marriage like the plague. FFS, with the boomers as our biggest example, who in their right #ing mind would even want to be married??

You are signing a life long contract with serious repercussions if you want to break it....I don't know of another contract with such an oppressive binding of two people who may not want to be together a few years down the road.

edit on 25-9-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Since when are 45yo millennials?

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
A couple of things I can think of...

1) Fewer couples getting married...

2) When people do get married, it is later in life so they are more mature and picking better life partners...

3) Cheaper to keep her...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

The things you describe are not part of a normal healthy marriage and more sounds like a bad gf or bf.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Expectations of ownership over your partner and the ladies end up going crazy mental possessive afterwards and five minutes late from work becomes an interrogations s if you committed murder.

Where are you getting your data from? This happens sometimes whether you're married or not. A successful marriage requires a certain amount of earned trust. I wouldn't call it ownership.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Get a prenup.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

He's actually describing a non married couple living together in a volitile relationship

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This helped me understand why my own mid-30's son and daughter are not married; they don't have children, arn't religious and have no plans for ever marrying or having children.

Is it because their parents' were divorced?

Well, us parents of millenials are feeling mighty guilty because we did try our hardest to be good parents; divorced or not.

But, most importantly, are they happy?

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
its better to explore early and settle down late that way you dont have to wonder if theres something better out there

<<   2  3  4 >>

join