It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Causing the U.S. Divorce Rate to Plummet

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

I think it is best that people are avoiding marriage like the plague. FFS, with the boomers as our biggest example, who in their right #ing mind would even want to be married??

You are signing a life long contract with serious repercussions if you want to break it....I don't know of another contract with such an oppressive binding of two people who may not want to be together a few years down the road.

The only thing I can think of is record company contracts....

Even though I've been happily married for 17 years, I can see why some guys are going MGTOW. Marriage is a huge risk and could break you for life if it fails (especially if there are children). The court system has made it a one sided deal for men.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Is it because their parents' were divorced?

I'd say no because there were parents that weren't divorced.
I think this generation is just different.
Just like at the turn of the century it was common to have a dozen kids. I went through my ancestry and what really struck me was how many people had 9+ children! By today's standard that would be insane!

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

34 you are very late Gen X, I think that young folks such as yourself, want to keep it as real as possible, you are most likely poorer than the older generation, especially that of the Great generation aka WW ll folks and war babies aka baby boomers, like someone said above, less pressure so when you do it' s long lasting.. I also think that young ppl in debt caused them to spend less and less committed to hurry up and get married,

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Spider879

Since when are 45yo millennials?

I think they were describing GenX with that age group, if I'm not mistaken.

link   

originally posted by: Spider879

34 you are very late Gen X, I think that young folks such as yourself, want to keep it as real as possible, you are most likely poorer than the older generation, especially that of the Great generation aka WW ll folks and war babies aka baby boomers, like someone said above, less pressure so when you do it' s long lasting.. I also think that young ppl in debt caused them to spend less and less committed to hurry up and get married,

No they aren't, that is a couple years into millenials...

link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Is it because their parents' were divorced?

I'd say no because there were parents that weren't divorced.
I think this generation is just different.
Just like at the turn of the century it was common to have a dozen kids. I went through my ancestry and what really struck me was how many people had 9+ children! By today's standard that would be insane!

Totally different times now...

My parents (boomers) got married really early.... like at 18 right after high school or college or early 20s at latest. They had kids earlier and in general were far more mature at life at an earlier age.

Nowadays, at least in the middle/upper classes, people get married in their late 20s or early 30s after they've established themselves in careers. Professional/educated women are waiting until their 30s to have kids.

I think people waiting to get married is leading to better choices in picking mates. I mean, I am so glad I didn't marry a high school sweet heart. I mean that b*tch was crazy, but when you are a pootang whipped 18 year old, you don't know any better.

I've always felt it was too easy to get married and too hard to get divorced...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

originally posted by: Spider879

No they aren't, that is a couple years into millenials...

Ok stand corrected..

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
LMAO! You must not live in an urban environment. In my teenage years, I saw married couples throw things at each other, a wife chase her husband down the street at 1:00am with a knife, one couple in a literal fist fight with each other (big lady still won), couples with open relationships where they may as well not even have been married. etc.. etc..

Let me just say, there are waaaaaay more shinging examples of why or how marriage will ruin a relationship rather than make it stronger.

You old folks have not been subject to the same level of signal corruption(the perpetual exposure to bad influences through electronic signals tv's, internet, tablets, PC's etc.. etc..) that the younger ones have. They got it from birth 24/7 . The previous generation only had to be subjected for brief periods as there just was no content. By the time the kids who had a 24/7 signal corruption exposure came around, most of yall were grown and wise enough to avoid it.

Even on TV, many marriages displayed are not healthy ones and lead to breakups.

Marriage , a very prehistoric concept, is not something that is going to work for the generation subject to signal corruption. Therefore we avoid it.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the article cites the demographic as under 45 years old.
It's in middle age that many marriages split up.
Many people at middle age take stock of their lives.
It's a time when many become aware of their mortality and start thinking about what theyve accomplished in their lives so far and how they've fallen short of their dreams.
And why.
That's when many men buy sexy sports cars or a younger girlfriend.
That's when many women start going through menopause and getting plastic surgery.
It's when kids, if there are any, move out and start their own lives
It's also when many marriages fail.
So that the article only considers the marriages of couples under 45, is a little misleading IMO

edit on 9251818 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It's "Idiocracy" made real. The smart ones are waiting longer to get married (if at all) and foregoing children, meanwhile in every trailer park and ghetto....

We're screwed.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
But, are they happy? Attempting to avoid the possibility of divorce at a young age seems somewhat, maybe, not wanting to mature-extend the partying?

I am concerned that extending that immaturity, these millenials will see what they have missed out on by enjoying young children while they were young and having the assurance of the possiblity of a comfortable marital relationship.

I see the this generation missing a lot of possibilities for a different kind of life. Not saying their parents or earlier generations had it perfect but don't think they were all wrong either.

Time will tell. Let's see where they are in 30-40 years. Wonder if their children will go against their parent's decisions and get married really young.

edit on 25-9-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

But, most importantly, are they happy?

That's the thing everyone tries to find, many fail, and millenials are trying to find their own way to find.

I think it comes from three things personally, satisfaction (work, relationship ect.), legacy (kids, religion, work ect.), and finally a sense of whimsical from time to time (that one could come from anything, but mainly something that just puts you in awe from time to time so you can still be surprised from life).

Any of those combinations could work for one person and not another. I think prior generations were handed a template and told that was what was expected of them with implied deadlines.

We'll see how the new wave does with their freedom.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I think you have it wrong, they aren't trying to avoid divorce, they are trying to avoid being married.

Maybe these millennials are more mature than we ever were. Maybe they understand that youth is the most valuable thing in the world!

There are pros and cons to having children young and having one later in life.
Personally I think the older you are the better parent you will be (not having a newborn in your 50s though)
I'm not saying young parents are bad, but they don't have as many life experiences and many times aren't as financially sound.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Yes, only time will tell. We all want to end up happy and satisfied.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
You pretty much described my wife and I. We dated for 8 years before we got married at 24, been married 4 years. We are stilling waiting just a bit longer before we bring kids into picture. She is a French teacher(French immursean so all subjects in French) I am a water treatment operator. So we have secured good careers in stable fields that produce good income,plus we have moonlight jobs at night.

All our loans,debts and vehicles will be payed off this year except the house. Gunna have some good cash available for kid raising because kids are expensive.

I don’t think my life story sounds any different then any other generation.

Turns out us millennials work,get married and die like everyone else.

a reply to: Edumakated

edit on 25-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

‘Twas a good read and I fully understand the reasoning.

I myself am 30 and have absolutely ZERO plans of ever getting married or having those little bringers of vomit and poop. I just don’t see the point. I have seen two marriages where the couples stay together. Yet both sets have VERY unhappy couples.

Good thread though

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
You cant have divorces if you aren't having marriages...lol.

Exactly! I have seen less and less people bother with even getting married at all.
So we went from ridiculous divorce rates to people just saying "nah, not a good idea".

LOL!

link   
Accidental double post.
edit on 25-9-2018 by Pimpintology because: Double post.

link   

Demographers already knew the divorce rate was falling. Their question, however, was why?

Don't you have to be married to get divorced.... once again total waste of government grant money

Marriage Rates Decline for the Young

As a result of these divergent trends, most 65-and-older people are married (55.3 percent) while most younger adults are not. In fact, the marriage rate among 18-to-64-year-olds dipped to a record low

edit on 25-9-2018 by AttitudeProblem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Generation X and especially millennials are being pickier about who they marry,

What do you mean "teach Gen X"? We, sir, are part of that change. As an older Gen X who got married and has stayed married, I'd like to know what you mean about letting them teach me a thing or two.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join