It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Causing the U.S. Divorce Rate to Plummet

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
a reply to: Spider879

Because they are not getting married,the average millenium has 3 kids by different woman,funded by the taxpayers,as they don't care

Another great point. And lots of women also have kids from different men. My wife has several girls on her facebook friends list that have AT LEAST 3 kids with different dads. One just had her 5th kid and all 5 have different dads. She's never been married.

My buddy has several friends on Facebook who say that getting your first round of vaccines at one caused autism in the womb.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I'm under 45 and I'm not a millenial. Are we now saying people born since 1973 are now Millenials??? Seriously?

Also happily married.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
This helped me understand why my own mid-30's son and daughter are not married; they don't have children, arn't religious and have no plans for ever marrying or having children.

Is it because their parents' were divorced?

Well, us parents of millenials are feeling mighty guilty because we did try our hardest to be good parents; divorced or not.

But, most importantly, are they happy?

I have no desire to get married. My mom and dad got married when my mom got pregnant, and were divorced by the time I was 2. My mom remarried once, the marriage lasted 2 years and the relationship about 4. She left with nothing despite contributing 50% of the finances. My dad remarried once, and his ex wife took him through the cleaners getting roughly 80% of his assets despite never contributing anything financially, and minimally to the household. My dad had another relationship after that, which was 11 years with an amazing woman, but they never married. Eventually that ended and everything worked out much better.

Learning from the example of my parents, marriage was a disaster for them. Why would I ever want to expose myself to that?

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: worldstarcountry

34 you are very late Gen X, I think that young folks such as yourself, want to keep it as real as possible, you are most likely poorer than the older generation, especially that of the Great generation aka WW ll folks and war babies aka baby boomers, like someone said above, less pressure so when you do it' s long lasting.. I also think that young ppl in debt caused them to spend less and less committed to hurry up and get married,

34 is a millennial. It's typically those who were born between 1982 and 2000. Basically, you were legally a child before and after the turn of the millennium.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Justso
This helped me understand why my own mid-30's son and daughter are not married; they don't have children, arn't religious and have no plans for ever marrying or having children.

Is it because their parents' were divorced?

Well, us parents of millenials are feeling mighty guilty because we did try our hardest to be good parents; divorced or not.

But, most importantly, are they happy?

I have no desire to get married. My mom and dad got married when my mom got pregnant, and were divorced by the time I was 2. My mom remarried once, the marriage lasted 2 years and the relationship about 4. She left with nothing despite contributing 50% of the finances. My dad remarried once, and his ex wife took him through the cleaners getting roughly 80% of his assets despite never contributing anything financially, and minimally to the household. My dad had another relationship after that, which was 11 years with an amazing woman, but they never married. Eventually that ended and everything worked out much better.

Learning from the example of my parents, marriage was a disaster for them. Why would I ever want to expose myself to that?

I think most people don't know how to choose a marriage partner. They pick their partners for the wrong reasons. Guys often pick women based mainly on attractiveness while women more so on finances. Neither of these are a basis for a long term marriage.

I've been happily married for 17 years. My wife isn't perfect, but neither am I. I think she is beautiful, but realistically, she wasn't the most beautiful chick to come my way. However, she had depth and substance intellectually and we really enjoyed each other's company. I don't believe opposites attract. Maybe for a fling, but certainly not so much for a marriage imho.

In considering if my wife was the one, I looked at the total package. This is what I find a lot of people don't do. You see athletes or other people with money and the only thing they really look at is the chick's ass. The women a lot of these guys attract are not marriageable women.

My wife was/is still a banger, but I found her intellect to be attractive (she was Phi Beta Kappa / Salutatorian in college). I knew she worked hard and would be successful in whatever endeavor she pursed. It wasn't just about her great legs, etc. Not only that, I also considered her PARENTS. Did I want to be apart of her larger family. Did her parent's like me? I was not trying to get involved in any family drama.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Statistics don't lie, but there are many ways to interpret them.
The people not getting married are seriously skewing the current interpretation.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm not sure there's one complete package for everyone. I agree that it's generally a good idea to look at multiple aspects of a person, and even their family, but not necessarily that there's some sort of one size fits all checklist.

For example, for me the biggest thing is there being a balance of power in the relationship. One person shouldn't be subservient to the other, and both should be perfectly capable of having their own independent lives. I want a few shared interests with a person, but I don't want a Venn Diagram of our lives to be completely separated or completely overlapping, I want someone who is equally intelligent and ambitious, and can carry a conversation. I also want only a loosely coupled relationship because people grow and change over time, and I would rather have the flexibility for a relationship to change over time rather than break.

I think a lot of people who get married, especially younger people aren't entirely sure what they want, because they just don't have the right experience. It's like asking people what sort of career they want. It's not a question you can accurately answer until you have some more life experience.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
My buddy has several friends on Facebook who say that getting your first round of vaccines at one caused autism in the womb.

I don't remember saying that but it sounds like something I would say.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm not sure there's one complete package for everyone. I agree that it's generally a good idea to look at multiple aspects of a person, and even their family, but not necessarily that there's some sort of one size fits all checklist.

For example, for me the biggest thing is there being a balance of power in the relationship. One person shouldn't be subservient to the other, and both should be perfectly capable of having their own independent lives. I want a few shared interests with a person, but I don't want a Venn Diagram of our lives to be completely separated or completely overlapping, I want someone who is equally intelligent and ambitious, and can carry a conversation. I also want only a loosely coupled relationship because people grow and change over time, and I would rather have the flexibility for a relationship to change over time rather than break.

I think a lot of people who get married, especially younger people aren't entirely sure what they want, because they just don't have the right experience. It's like asking people what sort of career they want. It's not a question you can accurately answer until you have some more life experience.

I don't disagree. The point is that a lot of people get married for shallow reasons or they ignore bigger issues in the relationship. For example, I've see women marrying or staying with guys who treat them like sh*t. They don't leave because they are insecure or only there for the money. At the same time, I see guys basically marrying strippers and instagram thots even though the chick can barely say her ABCs.... but dat azz though.

Marriage is very much a partnership. I requires both sides to make sacrifices and there have to be some shared goals.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
You cant have divorces if you aren't having marriages...lol.

^^^

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join