It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mocking mental health..the last straw

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: Tundra
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Can you just accept that every person on the earth are total assholes? Yes, that includes you.

nah, I am a total optimist, I believe that everyone actually just fundamentally wants to be treated like they would like to be treated, I believe that people just want to be seen as "good" in the eyes of their peers even if they never admit to it.

Take the guy the OP is talking about, behaving like an arse hole but I would rationalise it as him feeling like he was being funny, making people laugh, being liked, was just a extremely poor choice of joke and he was behaving like a dick but that there were reasons behind it.

I have this horrible tendency to try to always rationalise the good in people wherever I can.

Honestly makes me a much happier person.

And i guess my honesty makes me an asshole? You are no saint.
edit on 9/20/2018 by Tundra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

But we as a society need to toughen up.

AHHHH....no....well ok yeah some of us do..but....

Telling someone with depression and Anxiety to toughen up is like telling a Parkinson's patient to stop all that annoying shaking.

I think this is the problem, there are some people out there who really do just need to grow a pair, but they are not the same people like the OP and I am sure many others who are having panic attacks because the supermarket is busier than usual or loses sleep because just who did Sandra think she was speaking to 4 weeks ago when she said that to me. These are not people who need to toughen up these are people who need our empathy and help.

I kinda do know about depression and anxiety......not going into it here, but yeah, it can be dealt with and it my case it did take some toughening up. all I'm saying on this

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

He might as well have laughed in my face. It is not ok to mock mental health or suicide. I dont' care if someone is an asshole doesn't make it ok.

To use another analogy

To me making fun of suicide around people who have experience of it is a bit like making a joke about miscarriage in front of that one girl who has just got back form a week off and keeps crying about having to canceling her maternity leave.

Really not cool....

And quite rightly something that should be coming under disciplinary policies.
edit on 20-9-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: wording

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

He might as well have laughed in my face. It is not ok to mock mental health or suicide. I dont' care if someone is an asshole doesn't make it ok.

To use another analogy

To me making fun of suicide around people who have experience of it is a bit like making a joke about miscarriage after that one girl who has just got back form a week off and keeps crying comes back to work after canceling her maternity leave.

Really not cool....

And quite rightly something that should be coming under disciplinary policies.

Agree with the last bit. The guy should have got reported at the very least.
edit on am99201818America/Chicago20p07am by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Can you just accept that every person on the earth are total assholes? Yes, that includes you.

nah, I am a total optimist, I believe that everyone actually just fundamentally wants to be treated like they would like to be treated, I believe that people just want to be seen as "good" in the eyes of their peers even if they never admit to it.

Take the guy the OP is talking about, behaving like an arse hole but I would rationalise it as him feeling like he was being funny, making people laugh, being liked, was just a extremely poor choice of joke and he was behaving like a dick but that there were reasons behind it.

I have this horrible tendency to try to always rationalise the good in people wherever I can.

Honestly makes me a much happier person.

And i guess my honesty makes me an asshole? You are no saint.

Never said I was just that I like to try to see the good in people rather than the bad because I think it makes me happier.

I don't think your an arsehole, because I don't know you.

I mean if you were to ask me I would say that you could show a little more sensitivity to the OP but then again you might not get all those sweet stars off your peers who think like you.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

just take his word for it.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
I feel for you, I really do. But we as a society need to toughen up. Every workplace has at least one, or maybe more of the type of arseholes you described.....rude, overbearing, petty, spiteful, hateful, etc. Don't let people like this control your thoughts and life to the point of tears!!

Words of wisdom.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damla

just take his word for it.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

any other ideas?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

any other ideas?

To be honest, most of the time I have spent dealing with these situations is trying to figure out what really happened.

Three sides to a story.
One side,
The other side,
The truth.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

a reply to: Tundra

yes and some are better assholes than others.

Really? Ya learn something new everyday.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

ah, you are one of those people who want to hear the story from all sides. how fair of you. by any chance, you kurdish?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
So we have weekly meetings at my job which are painful to sit through. Imagine being forced to listen to Trump for an hour every single week, that's how I look at it.

To start a rant off with words about your political stance, makes me think that this rant is retarded.

If i you don't like MY rant then go elsewhere. It's exactly how I feel at our meetings. I am far from political. I hate and despise all politicians equally. If you knew my boss you would get the Trump reference.

It's a rant. I can say whatever I want and you are more than welcome to go to another thread.

I agree with Tundra though...

You have a good rant going there and it would be a shame for some troll to come along and use the "T" word...

Can we keep USA BS politics out of a great subject or non political rant for once?

Pretty please?

Warmest regards

Lags
edit on 20-9-2018 by Lagomorphe because: I hate US political trolls

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I feel ya, trust me.

I was mocked by employers for my many mental illnesses, I had to join a employment agency that "specialized" in screwballs like me and i when I was literally laughed at when I suggested that I wanted to get on the radio.

However I was the one who had the last laugh-I got on the radio, my middle finger could not rise any quicker. There is a fine line between genius and insanity and I walk that line and I hope others do as well-for the right reasons.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

good on you. stay focused and don't let little things get you down. It's my belief that most of us have some diagnoseable condition, and the majority of it can be overcome, but it's damn hard. Be strong and don't ever give up. You have too good of a heart not to keep keeping on.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

But we as a society need to toughen up.

AHHHH....no....well ok yeah some of us do..but....

Telling someone with depression and Anxiety to toughen up is like telling a Parkinson's patient to stop all that annoying shaking.

I think this is the problem, there are some people out there who really do just need to grow a pair, but they are not the same people like the OP and I am sure many others who are having panic attacks because the supermarket is busier than usual or loses sleep because just who did Sandra think she was speaking to 4 weeks ago when she said that to me. These are not people who need to toughen up these are people who need our empathy and help.

I kinda do know about depression and anxiety......not going into it here, but yeah, it can be dealt with and it my case it did take some toughening up. all I'm saying on this

Right on! Right on! ......... Does that make me insensitive?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

^^^^^^^^^^
This

(Shhhh . I just starred a post of yours for the 3rd or 4th time ever)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Try not to let this things to you. Ignore them as much as you can and fix yourself.

That guy sounds like another drone in the gears. No orginal jokes no orginal personality. If your workplace is like that, its no wonder people are fůckıng egotistical. Generic normals.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Damla

You've asked me 2 questions in short incomprehensible sentences.

Try more words.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Guy sounds like a #ing goof. But, you can't control other people's thoughts and opinions. Some people are just raging dicks, like that guy. Though, i've found people like that are usually covering their own insecurities and failings in life. You can control the way you react to things though. It took a long time, but I came to learn other people's opionions about me don't really matter. People will think what they want.

And everyone's crazy in some way and everyone needs help sometimes. Nothing wrong with that.
edit on 20/9/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join