It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mocking mental health..the last straw

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

My heart goes out to you, M... That's just cruel and sadistic.

I don't know how to fix broken people like that, but maybe something in here will help: These part-time jobs can earn you $75K per year.

For some reason I couldn't bring myself to close out the tab so it's been up for a few days. Maybe it was for you!

Good luck and brightest blessings

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
Imagine being forced to listen to Trump for an hour every single week, that's how I look at it.

Are you perhaps mocking the mentally ill with a comment like this?

It's all a matter of perspective mblah.

Never let words hurt you, old friend.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

But we as a society need to toughen up.

AHHHH....no....well ok yeah some of us do..but....

Telling someone with depression and Anxiety to toughen up is like telling a Parkinson's patient to stop all that annoying shaking.

I think this is the problem, there are some people out there who really do just need to grow a pair, but they are not the same people like the OP and I am sure many others who are having panic attacks because the supermarket is busier than usual or loses sleep because just who did Sandra think she was speaking to 4 weeks ago when she said that to me. These are not people who need to toughen up these are people who need our empathy and help.

I kinda do know about depression and anxiety......not going into it here, but yeah, it can be dealt with and it my case it did take some toughening up. all I'm saying on this

Define toughening up?

Because as I see it you either tackle something lawfully, physically or ignore it and "grow a thicker skin".

Two of those are unacceptable and the other can be an extremely daunting task for someone with mental health difficulties.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tundra

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

So we have weekly meetings at my job which are painful to sit through. Imagine being forced to listen to Trump for an hour every single week, that's how I look at it.

To start a rant off with words about your political stance, makes me think that this rant is retarded.

If i you don't like MY rant then go elsewhere. It's exactly how I feel at our meetings. I am far from political. I hate and despise all politicians equally. If you knew my boss you would get the Trump reference.

It's a rant. I can say whatever I want and you are more than welcome to go to another thread.

I agree with Tundra though...

You have a good rant going there and it would be a shame for some troll to come along and use the "T" word..., can we keep USA BS politics out of a great subject for once?

Pretty please?

Warmest regards

Lags

Thank you Lags! Thats why I stopped reading from the start.

You stop reading something when someone mentions Trump in a non-praiseworthy way?

That sounds like YOUR problem. The OP is free to describe anything any way they want. If you can’t separate yourself from politics long enough to read and understand what the OP is about that’s nobody’s fault but your own.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
I can't really tell much about your real situation, but I can tell you one thing after 35 years of working everything from customer service, waiting tables, pipe fitting, plumbing, being a sailor, working in office sales, being a courier, being a telephone operator, struggling through college, struggling through divorce, struggling with children, having various leadership roles in engineering and actually engineering (but network engineering which sort of isn't engineering if you ask me) and suffering alcoholism, being addicted to nicotene, crushing my l2 vertebrae, suffering congestive heart failure, having trouble with the law, two dui's, jail time for that, all these things in no particular order, I can tell you that it never gets easier.

So in that, buck up camper, you are going to have some rough days and nights ahead.

Yeah ok, not bad, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I've had employees with mental illnesses of one type or the other.
They tend to be rather challenging.

Some maybe but not all. It doesnt make it ok to mock them or poke fun at what they go through. Maybe if people weren't complete jerks to them they would act different. Maybe if there was help for them they would act different. I could go on and on. Bottom line is it is NOT OK to do what these assholes did.

Nobody ever knows I have mental health issues because I keep it to myself and with years of being mocked and dealing with it on my own with ZERO help I have found my own ways to deal....but this guy seriously pissed me off.

How did anything I said make you think I was justifying the behavior?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
a reply to: Tundra

I imagine that was just a 'throw away' comment. It's obviously not relevant to the point of the thread so I don't see a point in getting up in arms about it (and essentially derailing the rant/thread)

That said, I support the POTUS and I don't care to listen to him for an hour every week. So, there's that...

I really love the example you gave there.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

But we as a society need to toughen up.

AHHHH....no....well ok yeah some of us do..but....

Telling someone with depression and Anxiety to toughen up is like telling a Parkinson's patient to stop all that annoying shaking.

I think this is the problem, there are some people out there who really do just need to grow a pair, but they are not the same people like the OP and I am sure many others who are having panic attacks because the supermarket is busier than usual or loses sleep because just who did Sandra think she was speaking to 4 weeks ago when she said that to me. These are not people who need to toughen up these are people who need our empathy and help.

I kinda do know about depression and anxiety......not going into it here, but yeah, it can be dealt with and it my case it did take some toughening up. all I'm saying on this

Define toughening up?

Because as I see it you either tackle something lawfully, physically or ignore it and "grow a thicker skin".

Two of those are unacceptable and the other can be an extremely daunting task for someone with mental health difficulties.

In this case, it would either be confront the people, therefore risking employment, or contacting HR which doesnt seem to be an option here since the owner seemed to be one of the ones making the statements. Or, a third option, telling them to F off and quite after nabbing a higher paying job

(wasnt going to go into this but, why not I guess) In my case, I had severe anxiety and depression. If someone, anyone said something negative about me (or even if it wasnt about me, I inferred it was in a lot of cases) it would eat me up, and would think about it constantly, thinking I was worthless. It took a while of CBT to help, and it eventually taught me not to care what other people think of me, and had to "toughen" myself up to the fact that the world is full of a-holes, and I cant control what they say or do in a lot of cases. again, this is just my experience, and NOT trying to say the OP should ignore what happened and just toughen up....if it came off that way, I apologize.
edit on am99201818America/Chicago20p09am by annoyedpharmacist because: edit out caps

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

So we have weekly meetings at my job which are painful to sit through. Imagine being forced to listen to Trump for an hour every single week, that's how I look at it.

To start a rant off with words about your political stance, makes me think that this rant is retarded.

If i you don't like MY rant then go elsewhere. It's exactly how I feel at our meetings. I am far from political. I hate and despise all politicians equally. If you knew my boss you would get the Trump reference.

It's a rant. I can say whatever I want and you are more than welcome to go to another thread.

I agree with Tundra though...

You have a good rant going there and it would be a shame for some troll to come along and use the "T" word..., can we keep USA BS politics out of a great subject for once?

Pretty please?

Warmest regards

Lags

Thank you Lags! Thats why I stopped reading from the start.

You stop reading something when someone mentions Trump in a non-praiseworthy way?

That sounds like YOUR problem. The OP is free to describe anything any way they want. If you can’t separate yourself from politics long enough to read and understand what the OP is about that’s nobody’s fault but your own.

I think you lost the point.

And by the way. Don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about trump.
edit on 9/20/2018 by Tundra because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/20/2018 by Tundra because: At least, in this thread, i didn't

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

AGAIN, this is just my experience, and trying to say the OP should ignore what happened and just toughen up....if it came off that way, I apologize.

What you said was open to interpretation, I agree with you. I've been in a similar headspace in the past and it's not something I generally talk about either. With that being said...

Yeah, aggression and violence isn't the answer. Bottling things up will destroy you even if you're of sound character and mind. At the end of the day personal ills and the ills of society need to be faced and to do that however difficult it may seem requires a "toughening up" stance.

So yes, I agree with you.

The world is full of A-holes, it'll remain that way unless they're challenged... People seldom ever fight your battles for you, do they?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Tundra

And your being "triggered" by a personal political position instead of the serious matter at hand will always limit your ability to grow and learn beyond your own political mantra.

To the op:

Why are office politics so polluted? Usually it does come from the top.

My serious concern, besides your debilitating condition, is that an HR manager shared your personal file with a manager. I think that's against the law and isn't this considered an area of discrimination?

So, so sorry you experiencing this but I am sure 99% of all workers have dealt with toxic work environments and dealt with many forms of discrimination.

I agree with the first poster that you need to be able to be tough enough to turn the negatives into positives.

Best wishes to your future. You seem very aware of your situation; now, you just need the skills to move forward.
edit on 20-9-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to RAY

no idea how that formatting got so jack up, but well said.

there is help out there, but in the end, we all must fight our own battles

edit on am99201818America/Chicago20p10am by annoyedpharmacist because: i messed this post up so bad

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I've discussed my mental health issues here on ATS for several years. It's always nice to find out about a few other people who understand what we go through.

It's difficult for most people to understand that our ability to alter how we react to our environment is somewhat limited. It's just not a matter of "growing a pair" or just wishing ourselves to be happy by thinking happy thoughts. Perhaps that works for them, but it's generally not something that works for us.

I'm sure that most people will disagree with me, but I believe that "cutting" is a natural relief valve for some mental disorder states. Provided, of course, that the individual doesn't permanently disable or visibly disfigure themselves. Though I've only done it a couple of times in the last few decades, it does serve the purpose of converting unbearable mental pain into it's physical counterpart. Especially if the only other alternative is auto-termination (suicide.)

You may also want to consider that our mental health professionals make fun of us sometimes behind our backs when they are with their peers. But you have to admit that the behaviors of some mentally ill people can be comical. However, it is never okay to make fun of suicide. The invisible internal pain that leads to that conclusion is more excruciating than most people can comprehend.

I applaud your success in managing your condition without the use of medication. I was able to do so for many years, but I eventually had no choice but to go on meds in order to continue to interact with humans. But, no matter what anyone tells you, there are long-term side effects you will eventually catch up with you.

I feel your pain with respect to your working conditions. I'm glad that you've found a positive way to deal with it. I believe that starting your own business and being able to choose the people with whom you interact is the best approach. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm certain that you will succeed!

-dex

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Haaa. "Political mantra?" What a joke.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I have this horrible tendency to try to always rationalise the good in people wherever I can.

^^^^^^^^^^
This

(Shhhh . I just starred a post of yours for the 3rd or 4th time ever)

That is also the kind of thing that can get people into bad situations.

The original quote with the bold mine for emphasis

have this horrible tendency to try to always rationalise the good in people wherever I can.

See ?
Agreeing to that post means EXACTLY I sometimes do get into bad situations
Some folks scan and do not read to understand.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

originally posted by: Fools
I can't really tell much about your real situation, but I can tell you one thing after 35 years of working everything from customer service, waiting tables, pipe fitting, plumbing, being a sailor, working in office sales, being a courier, being a telephone operator, struggling through college, struggling through divorce, struggling with children, having various leadership roles in engineering and actually engineering (but network engineering which sort of isn't engineering if you ask me) and suffering alcoholism, being addicted to nicotene, crushing my l2 vertebrae, suffering congestive heart failure, having trouble with the law, two dui's, jail time for that, all these things in no particular order, I can tell you that it never gets easier.

So in that, buck up camper, you are going to have some rough days and nights ahead.

Yeah ok, not bad, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ?

I have been known to stay there from time to time. :-)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Just listening to trump's *voice* makes me want to wallop my head against the floor, it's so grating. I know of others' whose voices made me wish for deafness on command. Dealt with a guy in an unemployment office that had me nearly pinned to the back wall of his cubicle while he bitched wholesale at me in that nasal, droning voice for 2 HOURS. Edited: He literally *complained* and bitched about everything. O.0

ALL I can offer is if this person is acting like such an abominable jackass, that he has a) his own mental problems, or b) he's an unloved sunuvva, and he knows it. This is to inflate his patched and leaking ego. I'd simply wait and wait for karma come by and plant her foot directly up his fruit of the looms.
edit on 20-9-2018 by wylekat because: Left out a thing

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I applaud your success in managing your condition without the use of medication. I was able to do so for many years, but I eventually had no choice but to go on meds in order to continue to interact with humans.

Which begs the question- is it just a mental condition, or are people THAT horrible and nasty that one needs meds just so they can stand to be around them? because I can tell you, that if one needs to be drugged to handle other people, but can get along with most pets, and be perfectly happy away from people- one has to think about what kind of world and society we live in.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

what about the cameras. wouldnt it be fair if you really checked the security cameras too?
edit on 20-9-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
would you believe in what you hear or rather what you have seen.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join