It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queensland schoolgirl threatened with suspension after refusing to stand for national anthem

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Kryties

a reply to: Kharron

If 9 year olds in other countries are drinking the Kool Aid and talking about ridiculousness like "institutionalized racism, I'm not sure I'd say they're "ahead" of the average American school kid in that regard. Unless one considers brainwashing to be an educational milestone of program success...

Mate, exactly how much do you know about Australia and our history with the Aboriginal people? I ask because you seem to know next to nothing.

I know it's similar to the history of the world... aliens land, explore, and conquer... indigenous people adapt or are driven out. It's not unique to Australia, nor is it anything warranting modern hystrionics.

So, just as I suspected, you know absolutely nothing about the topic.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

If 9 year olds in other countries are drinking the Kool Aid and talking about ridiculousness like "institutionalized racism, I'm not sure I'd say they're "ahead" of the average American school kid in that regard. Unless one considers brainwashing to be an educational milestone of program success...

Being ranked as higher educated would mean the opposite of that, would it not?

Someone with lower education and less knowledge is more susceptible to being brainwashed.

Do you really think there is no incentive to keeping a large nation, such as ours, less educated? We have the largest military machine in the world, and one of the least educated populations. Those go hand in hand when you think about it.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420
a reply to: ATruGod

wow that one hell of a firm grasp on high school level history I'm super sure her parents didn't indoctrina... i mean "teach" her.

I'm sure she did come to that conclusion on her own AFTER her parents explained to her all about Institutionalized Racism microaggressions, white privilege, and how all white people are racist.

parents have been teaching their kids along with their values and beliefs since people have been having kid.

sure seems like now people are pretty #ing worried about what kids are being taught.

what are kids taught by seeing their parents chain smoke?
drink every day?
sit on their fat asses and never read a book?

anything you can think of.

i mean wtf is the problem?

there is no rule book or perfect way to bring your kids up.

clearly these parents are raising their children to fall in line with their beliefs. thats what parents do.

then as the kids get older they start to take on their own beliefs.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Nobody owes loyalty to a country or government......unless of course you willing move there.

I was born in the UK. Dammed if I will give it any loyalty, I would sell it out in a heartbeat if it benefited me.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

the law more than predates Duturte. (and by the way it goes far, far further than just public officials that are being murdered or falsely imprisoned, over drugs. and the example of Duterte makes me rather glad Hillary lost the election). admittedly the fines for it are rather high. but it certainly does stop the foolishness we are seeing in the US currently. it is disrespectful to fail to stand for any national anthem in public. no matter what country you are in, or what country you are a citizen of. there are more than enough ways a person can protest perceived injustices than by disrespecting a country's national anthem or flag.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm noticing that it's American Trump supporters, mainly, in this thread claiming to know everything there is to know about Australia's treatment of the Aboriginal people - and funnily enough they are siding with the 3 far-right Aussie politicians and media people that are bullying this girl. None of this surprises me in the slightest.

edit on 13/9/2018 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
all these posts with people clowning on how others peoples kids behave is the crazy thing.

this is what parents do.

you know parents bring their kids to democratic rallies
and republican rallies
and gay pride parades

and on and on an on

i see people taking this attitude that the way others teach their kids is either stupid or wrong cause it does not fall in line with their way of thought.

that is not cool.

i have also noticed it almost always have to do with things like patriotism or what they call SJW type stuff.

a cereal company changed a slogan after a child wrote a letter!!!!!

oh the #ing horror of that happening. the parents must have taught them that!!!

well yeah

just like all the people taught their younglings to be patriotic and STAND FOR THE FLAG BOY

these parents are going the other way

your ways are not correct just cause you say they are and changes are not bad just because it is new.

things change. all the time

slogans. logos. taglines. etc etc

for various reasons

but on this forum people cry.....

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I have never seen so much bigotry and disparity than I have in the Australian national anthem. I mean look at these lyrics. They're horrrrriiiibbbllleee!!!!!

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik
i must say i rather agree with suspending the student.

and meanwhile in the Philippines earlier this week 34 people were ARRESTED for failing to stand for the national anthem before a movie. and yes it is really against the law to fail to stand for it.

Batangas — Thirty-four moviegoers were arrested Wednesday night for not standing up to sing the Philippine national anthem inside the cinema of a mall in Lemery, Batangas.

Inspector Hazel Luma-ang, information officer of the Batangas Provincial Police Office, said operatives of the Lemery police station conducted an operation at Cinema 2 of Xentro mall against violators of Republic Act 8491 or the Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines law.
The operation happened at 2 p.m.

"The operation resulted to the arrest of the suspects for not standing in attention and for disrespecting the Philippine National Anthem while it was being played prior to the showing of the movie film entitled 'The Hows of Us,'" Luma-ang said.
They are currently detained at the Lemery police station while appropriate charges are being prepared for filing in court Thursday.

Penalties stated in the code for any person that violates any of the provisions of RA 8491 shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not less than P5,000 but not more than P20,000, or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both such fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court.
Read more at www.philstar.com...

it is also against the law to fail to sing it with "fervor"

in a lot of ways i wish this were the law in the US and Canada. it would certainly stop the disgusting and disrespectful displays we are seeing from the children that we pay millions because they happen to be lucky and are good at a sport

You think people should be forced to stand while someone sings about the 'land of the free'?

I think irony meters everywhere would implode.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

bitch ass anthem

no rockets red glare

no bombs

O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner, O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave![

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Mate, exactly how much do you know about Australia and our history with the Aboriginal people? I ask because you seem to know next to nothing.

It's not unique to Australia, nor is it anything warranting modern hystrionics.

institutionalized racism obviously isn't unique to Australia... But, Aboriginals were still being treated as nothing more than literal feral animals in some parts of Australia, well into the mid 20th century.

Its pretty full on and actually incredibly disgraceful.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

Men at Work - Down Under, is the official Australian national anthem, anyone who implies differently is not Australian.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Not true. Russell coight doesn't sing it therefore it is not Australian enough! .

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
If she really wanted to get her point across than she should have hired the Chasers War on Everything's surprise spruiker.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Not true. Russell coight doesn't sing it therefore it is not Australian enough! .

You're getting 'anthem' & 'mascot' mixed up - HOWEVER, I now strongly desire coighty to sing the vegemite sammich song.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

institutionalized racism obviously isn't unique to Australia... But, Aboriginals were still being treated as nothing more than literal feral animals in some parts of Australia, well into the mid 20th century.

So several generations ago? That has what to do with today? The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in the mid 20th century... should we still be grinding our axes?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

It's the line "For we are young" which has colonial implications and doesn't recognize the Aboriginals.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

So several generations ago? That has what to do with today? The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in the mid 20th century... should we still be grinding our axes?

Australia is the only country on the planet that doesn't recognize its indigenous people in its Constitution. Myself, and millions of other Australians, believe it's high time they were recognized.

Please stop commenting on topics you clearly, and demonstrably, have absolutely no clue about.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Possibly. I interpret that line though as meaning a country young and free. Hopeful and looking towards their future.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

I agree that they should be included along with the Torres strait peoples in the constitution.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join