It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queensland schoolgirl threatened with suspension after refusing to stand for national anthem

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Kryties

Is mentioning them in the Aus anthem

It's a start, yes. Better that the sweet nothing they've had so far.

or a child being used as a pawn of parents pushing an agenda going to change either issue?

You know this child and her parents do you? You know she's being used as a "pawn" by her parents? How do you know this?

I agree with what a previous poster said about comparing a child's education level in America to one here in Australia. You are making a presumption that this girl doesn't know enough about the topic and is incapable of having her own thoughts on the subject. What utter nonsense.

How many kids have you raised, again?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: ATruGod

I believe She should show respect and at least stand or leave the room like They are offering.

Why should she stand?

The last legal massacre of Aboriginals was the Coniston Massacre ended October 1928

Youre right why should anyone, especially a child, be taught or be bothered to follow rules?

I have rules (and laws) i dont agree with but have to follow everyday because...consequences.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Mate, it's quite simple. You are doing nothing more than guess based on your biases.

That girl had every right to make her statement known by not standing. The only people whinging about it are far-right nutters here in Australia and abroad who can't stand the thought of someone not conforming totally to everything without question. Those same people think it's OK to bully that little 9 year old publicly about it.

Most Australians (which are really the people that matter here, not minority opinions from here and abroad) support the girl and support the topic which she is standing up for.

edit on 13/9/2018 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod

I believe She should show respect and at least stand or leave the room like They are offering.

Why should she stand?

The last legal massacre of Aboriginals was the Coniston Massacre ended October 1928

Youre right why should anyone, especially a child, be taught or be bothered to follow rules?

I have rules (and laws) i dont agree with but have to follow everyday because...consequences.

Standing for the Australian anthem is a formality, not a rule of law.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Youre right why should anyone, especially a child, be taught or be bothered to follow rules? I have rules (and laws) i dont agree with but have to follow everyday because...consequences.

because rules can be wrong and need challenging. I have broken laws I do not agree with and been arrested. Its callad activism and this is an act of civil disobedience an integral part of the democratic system and a right that not be questioned.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Why should she stand?

Schools have rules, i dont know about this one, but obviously its become a distraction. Now what about when other kids dont follow rules "they believe in" do we seriously just shrug our shoulders and say ok? Whats the line? I can see it now "But She doesnt have to stand".

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Youre right why should anyone, especially a child, be taught or be bothered to follow rules? I have rules (and laws) i dont agree with but have to follow everyday because...consequences.

because rules can be wrong and need challenging. I have broken laws I do not agree with and been arrested. Its callad activism and this is an act of civil disobedience an integral part of the democratic system and a right that not be questioned.

That seems to be the main issue with some people. They cannot stand the thought of anything other than total and utter compliance without question. Yet those same people will claim they are for "freedom". The hypocrisy is astounding.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Why should she stand?

Schools have rules, i dont know about this one, but obviously its become a distraction. Now what about when other kids dont follow rules "they believe in" do we seriously just shrug our shoulders and say ok? Whats the line? I can see it now "But She doesnt have to stand".

Is the girl not allowed to protest her views? Or is it that she is not doing so in an "approved manner"?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

So "none" is your answer. I've raised 2, homeschooling them both. I have some understanding of how the 9 year old brain works and, I assure you, "institutionalized racism" isn't something a 9 year old waxes poetically about.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Nobody agrees with every rule, so we should ignore all rules and have anarchy?

Yay for 9 yr old SJW's!

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

That seems to be the main issue with some people. They cannot stand the thought of anything other than total and utter compliance without question. Yet those same people will claim they are for "freedom". The hypocrisy is astounding.

Carlin was right when he said everything we are taught is backward. It seems some people only have the freedom to do as they are told and would die to preserve that freedom. Very bizarre.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

So "none" is your answer. I've raised 2, homeschooling them both. I have some understanding of how the 9 year old brain works and, I assure you, "institutionalized racism" isn't something a 9 year old waxes poetically about.

You're making the presumption that the girl didn't think of it in more simpler terms that were later defined by adults as "institutionalized racism".

For instance something like "I've learned that Aboriginals have been treated badly and don't even get mentioned in the anthem we sing every morning. I think that's wrong so I won't take part". Could you not see a 9 year old thinking that? I could. I've seen my nieces say more complex things than that and they are 7.

Stop making presumptions mate.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Why should she stand?

Is the girl not allowed to protest her views? Or is it that she is not doing so in an "approved manner"?

So now chilren protesting school rules (in school) should be allowed? Why have them?

Nope thats not disruptive at all.

edit on 13-9-2018 by ATruGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Carlin was right when he said everything we are taught is backward. It seems some people only have the freedom to do as they are told and would die to preserve that freedom. Very bizarre.

I have to admit I struggle to understand how people can be so deluded.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Why should she stand?

So now chilren protesting school rules (in school) should be allowed? Why have them?

She's not protesting the school rule, she's protesting the anthem and what it stands for. It makes no sense that you try to compare that to school kids not standing for the anthem because they are protesting recess times or something. The Anthem is a larger issue than just a school rule mate, get some perspective.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Why should she stand?

She's not protesting the school rule, she's protesting the anthem and what it stands for. It makes no sense that you try to compare that to school kids not standing for the anthem because they are protesting recess times or something. The Anthem is a larger issue than just a school rule mate, get some perspective.

So thats the line Mate the Anthem and you get to decide whats important to a 9 year old? Ill bet most of the other kids dont care about the Anthem but i guarantee They care about legnth of reccess. Btw its happening in School so it is about the school rule of the Anthem. Perspective another word ill bet the 9 year old doesnt understand.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Im sure at 9 shes making those connections all on her own.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Im sure at 9 shes making those connections all on her own.

I'm sure you're doing nothing more than making a presumption based on bias.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: DIEGLOKE2

Dude, in another thread, you said you would sell out the country you were living in now.
Do you know no loyalty to anything?

As far as the OP goes, while it may be her parents leanings, I don't see a problem with this at school. But I would hope that her parents are actively "doing something" to try to change, what they don't believe in.
She isn't being paid to go to school, or "respect" the beliefs of an employer.

Family, friends and most importantly myself.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: DIEGLOKE2

Dude, in another thread, you said you would sell out the country you were living in now.
Do you know no loyalty to anything?

As far as the OP goes, while it may be her parents leanings, I don't see a problem with this at school. But I would hope that her parents are actively "doing something" to try to change, what they don't believe in.
She isn't being paid to go to school, or "respect" the beliefs of an employer.

Family, friends and most importantly myself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join