It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what makes someone a racist?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Biology is what makes people racist.
Everyone has a response in the amygdala to people not from their group.

If only we could have a bit more honesty people wouldn't be constantly calling out other people's racism to appease their own guilt. But no one wants to address this honestly so we're kinda stuck.

Race relations are only gonna get worse under the PC regime.
Although I'm just a dumb cra***r so what do I know.

As for the video, it was hilarious.
Was it racist? sure!
Was it hateful, hell no.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

We have to be able to talk about our differences though.

The best comedy does that. To slap the label of racism on it stigmatizes it. Is that really where we want to go? To remove that conversation from the realm of comedy which is one all cultures enjoy making it something we can all share -- the ability to laugh with each other, at ourselves and our foibles, is important. And like it or not, all cultures, all peoples, have their foibles and it's something we can laugh at.

Why do you think Pollack jokes have endured? Or dumb blonde blonde jokes?

The best stand-up routines riff off a group and its stereotypes whether we're talking racial, ethnic, religious, or gender or even sex-oriented because we all of us recognize those stereotypes. Stereotypes don't get started without some grain of truth, uncomfortable or not. And don't you think it's better to laugh at that in a comedy routine than to endlessly snipe at one another PC style like we've devolved into?

So let's draw the line at calling true comedy, not the mean-spirited stuff, racist.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
There is only one race, the human race. Refusal to accept that ought to be a capital offence.

You couldn't be more wrong!

There are infinite races.
How many colours are in a rainbow?

You could say there's only 1 colour the rainbow colour, which is wrong.
Or you could say there's 7 colours, also wrong.
Or you could say that as you can't pinpoint where one colour starts and another finishes there are as many colours as you choose to identify.

People are different, we should be embracing that and not ignoring it.
It only compounds the problem.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
So let's draw the line at calling true comedy, not the mean-spirited stuff, racist.

Hell no, Paul Mooney is one of my favourite comedians.
It's racist mean spirited and hilarious.
And I'm fine with it.

We need to de-stigmatise the word racist I think.
Everyone is racist, bigotry is the problem not racism.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Racism. Discrimination against a people of different colour. Funny how hypocritical racism can be.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
necessities and your perception.

edit on 13-9-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
And yet, I know of and seen enough Browns and Arabs that think they can say the N word...

This generalized view of white racism is moronic, and is used only by the desperate who cant come up with any come backs of their own. The best offense is a good defense, what can a bitter person due if one just simply ignores such claims, and laugh about it...epseically when it the white privileged doing the accusing and yelling blasphemy because their ancestor did the same thing.

Suicide if anything like some idiotic, well off professor...and the world turns while no one playing the violin.

edit on 13-9-2018 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

To say that we are all members of the same race, which is entirely accurate, is not to say that we do not have our differences.

However, no matter how different we may appear, we will always be more similar, than we are different, more akin to one another, than alien to one another.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Specimen

o where are the white censors to protect the ethinical children from themselves, and the diverse political groups with their white handlers telling them what to do.

I hope the first women president black to end the rule of white tyranny an Capitol gains where everyone equal as dirt mo more.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Beestie
Racism. Discrimination against a people of different colour. Funny how hypocritical racism can be.

You don't post much do you??
But on topic .....

Why does the discrimination always go in one direction?....

White people discriminate but black people do not?
smh/

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
To say that we are all members of the same race, which is entirely accurate, is not to say that we do not have our differences.

However, no matter how different we may appear, we will always be more similar, than we are different, more akin to one another, than alien to one another.

We are all members of the same species.
Saying "there's only 1 race, the human race" is equivalent to saying "There's only 1 breed, the dog breed".

It's confusing the issue and ignoring the facts.
The differences account for F-all of a percent but they exist and there's evolutionary explanations.
We should confront the issue of race head on with facts.

Most people still think that people are darker near the equator to protect against the sun.
Ignorance is the main problem with racism and encouraging ignorance is never a good idea and certainly not a solution.
edit on 13-9-2018 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I live in a country where there is extreme violence and racism against white people. There's a genocide happening that is supported by our goverment. The statements made in public by the politicians are in the lines of kill the boer, kill the farmer and cut the throat of whiteness.

This is the only country in the world that has affirmative action against a minority. I've been called umlungu, pig skin and a few more that I can't post here. Nothing is done against these people. Do you see the hypocrisy in this now? That they say that only white people can be racist?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

A racist is one who believes his own race to be superior to other races, or that other races are inferior to his own.

What actions he may take as a result of that belief is another matter I guess, including what statements he might make regarding his belief.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

The idea of race has been falsified by science. There is no such thing. There are no genetic markers for any single race of people. There is no subspecies of human beings.

By definition does that not then make the words race..racist. as there is no such thing. It is nothing but a false categorisation. A word that puts a philosophical divide to between brethen and sistren.

The beleif that we are different is based on false pretense.

So to answer your question any culture that has a word for race is racist.

edit on 13-9-2018 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
The idea of race has been falsified by science. There is no such thing. There are no genetic markers for any single race of people.

How would you define allele frequency?
I would consider that a genetic marker.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

You can consider what ever you want but unless you have peer reviewed science to negate my point you point remains just that. A consideration

:-)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Are you suggesting that allele frequency is based on bad science?

It's not like i'm talking about phrenology or anything.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

You can consider what ever you want but unless you have peer reviewed science to negate my point you point remains just that. A consideration
:-)

Thanks, I managed to learn something today.

DNA markers don't, by themselves, identify the gene responsible for the disease or trait; but they can tell researchers roughly where the gene is on the chromosome.

www.genome.gov...

So if I'm understanding this right you are correct. There are no DNA markers for any race of people.
But that's because the differences that are passed down from your parents are in the genes.

You're absolutely right, allele frequency is not an example of a genetic marker.

I guess to negate your point I'd just say if you're looking for racial differences within genetic markers you are looking in the wrong spot.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   

The idea of race has been falsified by science. There is no such thing. There are no genetic markers for any single race of people.

Tell that to the original Australians .......The Maori's

Tell that to the original Americans ....... The now called Native Americans

Tell that to the original Canadians ........The Inuits

Tell that to the Chinese ......

Tell that to the Japanese.....

Tell that to the Africans......

All instantly recognisable. All different races, but EQUAL?

By definition does that not then make the words race..racist. as there is no such thing. It is nothing but a false categorisation. A word that puts a philosophical divide to between brethen and sistren.

That is disingenuous, in my book it is racist not to recognise people for what

they are to pretend not to see the differences.(the elephant in the room)

That is racist.

The beleif that we are different is based on false pretense.

So to answer your question any culture that has a word for race is racist.

Not to recognise that there is a difference is what is racist.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Alrighty then, pls tell the class how many races are there, I know the list you gave , but it's only of a national ,ethnic or a broad geographical nature, what makes races biologically discrete entities.
Oh one more thing, while the social construct of " race" is soo not a thing ,racism is very real.
edit on 14-9-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join