It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what makes someone a racist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
i got to thinking about this after a person in my thread about BBQ becky at the black comic con mentioned black face.

i just want to know in all of your opinion when is the line drawn? when do you become racist?
1 action?
1 word spoken?

when is it? i ask because the term racist gets tossed around a lot.

not i will give an example of something most people say is racist but i know it is not because i know a lot about the person. of course we have never met but i am a super fanboy.

i am not going to embed but you can click if you want to.

this is a jiu jitsu black belt named Eddie Bravo in black face as a character named named quatoof

www.youtube.com...

youre not going to like it or think it is funny but i think it is hilarious.

so if you watched the video do you think he is racist?

if yes, why? is donning black face enough to make a person racist?

not what about context? does that matter? if it does here is the context.

Joe Rogan has just taken over the Man Show. Eddie Bravo got hired as a writer for the show. this clip was an unpolished(think pilot maybe) skit he was working on for the show.
does that make a difference?

if it does not and he is still racist in your opinion how about a couple details?

he has trained and promoted many blackbelts within his association. many white people but also asian, mexican, black etc.
he has been on the mats for hundreds of hours with this guys. rolling around together.

many of these people i mention have schools affiliated with his associations name. they give seminars under his banner. they instruct advanced classes
at his HQ.
these people are his family.

so knowing these things does that 1 video make him a racist in spite of everything else?

i just use him as an example cause he did and does catch a lot of # from people for that video.

a lot of people that call him racist know nothing about him.

now you know a little bit.

so as per the thread title, what makes a person a racist?

where/when is that line drawn?

just looking for your opinions

thanks
edit on 11-9-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ask google twitter or facebook, they know.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

" what makes someone a racist?

The Fact that they Personally Identify with a Fictional Belief in their Own Distinct Existence in Society , and as a Defense Mechanism , use that Mindset to Value Judgement Others Not of their Particular KIND ......Hmm.....

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think the whole thing about racism is a complete farce. Black, yellow, pink, white, purple with blue spots, it's all irrelevant.

When did people get so uptight about a persons colour??

Simply saying something is black nowadays gets you into trouble.

Even using the term "mixed race" (which I find stupid) is "a thing" now?

Jesus? When did everybody get so freaky about race..?

A black man is a black man....end of?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
Ask google twitter or facebook, they know.

i asked google

this was the first hit

www.urbandictionary.com...

the true deffinition is believing that one race is superior to all other. Hatred without reason of another race. ETC. SADLY today that has changed.
In todays world this is what makes you racist:
Mentioning race in any way
Not being totally politically correct
Supporting your race
Being white
Telling a racist joke
Judging by hair color
Disliking something someone likes etc.

but what is your opinion?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
since i asked i might as well give my answer

in my opinion a person is racist of they feel they are superior to another race based on theirs and/or they try to or support keeping another race down.

my definition

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I hate everyone, equally.

It keeps things simple.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

There is no racism because everyone is racist. The problem began when someone decided they could fix human nature.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

It's been around for years?

We invaded people in the medieval ages (even before that) because they were "different"

We are always going to be "different"

Different Colour
Different language
Different opinions
Different food
Different goals
Different rules
Different looks
Different politics

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Honestly, as a minority who grew up in a small racist town, I would have to say that the moment you actually dislike someone for no reason whatsoever except for the color of their skin, then I'd say you're a racist. If you joke around about racial things, as long as it's not intentionally done to harm another, then I wouldn't call it racist. If your audience doesn't appreciate it, then I'd just call it tasteless, but not racist.

There's different levels of that as well. I used to work with a guy that I got along with pretty well, but one day he told me his son was getting married, and his very first question to him was "Is she black?". He felt relieved when his son said no. I asked him why he asked that question, and he told me that he doesn't have issues with other "races", but he feels each "race" should stick with their own. In other words, no mixing at all. I flat out called him a racist. I'll still talk to him if I see him, but yeah, hard to respect a guy that deep down inside disapproves of my marriage because I'm brown and my wife is white.

The problem with this, though, is that some have called me racist for having the opposite viewpoint. For example, I'm greatly attracted to asian women. I can't help it, I just find them very adorable and beautiful. I've been told I'm racist because of that. So be it, if people want to call me racist because of what I find attractive, oh well.

So, if you dislike someone because of their skin color, if you mistreat someone because of their skin color, if you assume everything about them because of their skin color, then I would say you're racist.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
since i asked i might as well give my answer

in my opinion a person is racist of they feel they are superior to another race based on theirs and/or they try to or support keeping another race down.

my definition

That is generally how I feel as well... but race is not religion, and that’s where it can get dicey.
If someone thinks Christianity is hogwash, that doesn’t make them racist in my eyes, just of a different belief system.

What I don’t appreciate is being called racist for not supporting Sharia law and extreme Muslim practices, that are against showing mercy.

Stoning people to death, and throwing them off buildings for being gay are not things I agree with.

Does that make me racist ?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Eddie Bravo isn't a racist. It's entertainment and, being honest, blackface is freaking funny. Satire, caricature, stereotypical exaggeration... all hilarious, frankly.

The modern world doesn't know what "racism" even is anymore. Racism isn't words or insults, jokes or opinions... it's taking firehoses and German Shepards to people. It's hanging them from trees by the neck because they happened to find themselves in the wrong town. It's convincing one culture that they're too downtrodden, hated, or weak to achieve success for themselves, on their own merits and efforts. It's getting another culture to believe that all of their personal failures and struggles are the result of another race's successfulness (hell, it's convincing them that another race is magically successful when there are just as many impoverished in the "advantaged" race as in the "disadvantaged." Racism is ignoring the millions of murders within your own while screaming about the handful that occur outside your own race destroying itself from within. Racism is inventing imaginary "privileges" other races must have on their side because your race has so many people in it who foolishly bought the idea that "you can't" unless you vote for the right pandering collective of assholes.

Real racism depends entirely on idiots believing a joke or a throw away word is "racist" and overreacting to it while real racism quietly destroys the country, un-noticed by those too busy waiting to be told what they should be outraged by next. Racism exists because of embracement of weakness and celebration of victimhood.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
If a white guy dresses up in baggy pants that are hanging around his knees, sticks a few combs in his hair, hangs a dozen fake gold chains around his neck, and speaks in broken English - he is a racist who is perpetuating false stereotypes of black people. The problem is, take a walk down the street in Chicago - you will see dozens of black guys that fit that description perfectly.

If its fake why do so many black people do it? If its real, why is it racist to tell the truth? If your reality embarrasses you then you need to change your reality, not attack people who make an accurate observation of it.

The answer is simple: if you are white, you are racist the moment you say or do something a black person doesn't like.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Good answer. this...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Oh Dear , Besides the Differences in Race on this Planet , it is the INDIVIDUAL that Determines Who is Friend or Foe . Generalizations are a Fools Errand ..........Sorry ......(

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Eddie Bravo isn't a racist. It's entertainment and, being honest, blackface is freaking funny. Satire, caricature, stereotypical exaggeration... all hilarious, frankly.

i agree with your entire post but i wanted to comment on this.
obviously he is not racist but dude if you check out the comments on that video or threads about it on reddit lots of people called him racist.
its funny cause john q public sees 1, 5 minute video and they form an opinion that he is racist without knowing anything about him.

its a joke?

do people really believe that julliana hogue or whatever her name is from the dancing # is racist cause she went as a black face for halloween?
i dont.

was c thomas howell racist for playing a black face in the movie soul man?
i dont think so

to that end were the wayans racist for playing white face in the movie?
i dont think so but you can damn bet that some of the same people that thought the above example were racist gave them a pass.

its s strange thing

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

You are racist if you were born white and don't hate yourself due to that fact.
edit on 11-9-2018 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

The answer is simple: if you are white, you are racist the moment you say or do something a black person doesn't like.

i hate to agree but i basically do

white chicks. not racist

www.amazon.com...

julianne black face. racist

www.popsugar.com.au...

c thomas howell. not racist in 1986. definitely would be today

www.complex.com...

what what changed and when?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

" what makes someone a racist?

The Fact that they Personally Identify with a Fictional Belief in their Own Distinct Existence in Society , and as a Defense Mechanism , use that Mindset to Value Judgement Others Not of their Particular KIND ......Hmm.....

That would be "bigotry"
Next

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I hate everyone, equally.

It keeps things simple.

Yes , another equal opportunity hater.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join