It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not enough employees too many jobs -severe labor shortage

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: SR1TX

Let me ask you something so you can see where I am right and you're dead wrong, Have you ever been inside of a Ferrari? i mean truly a beautiful, hand crafted, hand STICHED, Ferrari? Or Lamborghini? Let me tell you, there is NOTHING like it. Now, why are these cars expensive? It has everything to do with the fact that it is seen as a status symbol and costs lots and lots of $ to those who want something rare that you simply do not see going to get groceries everyday. Now why is a Honda civic, 20 - 30k? Because it costs nearly 0 to make a hundred million of them as the material needed to make them and getting it to factory and assembly, has all been figured out. If no one drove cars, all cars would be expensive, because no one could really afford one, and thus the material to make them, as no one is going after it, would be rare to come by, and thus higher prices.

This lesson brought to you by the 1%

Well first I typical pay over 100k in fed taxes each year so don't think for some reason you are special Mr. 1% ...lol

You don't think Walmart has not already maximized they sales capabilities, maximized their customer base, maximized their profit on what they can sale competitively?

The only thing Walmart Maximizes on is stupidity to make sure that there is no mutiny at any store. I make what you pay in taxes yearly in 2 weeks.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

. . . the problem is a lot of times they don't work right Lot's of kinks to work out before it's really a solution.

I hear what you're saying. Very little works exactly like or as easily as the salesmen claim.

But . . .

We were looking at a piece of equipment about 3 months ago. Our interest in this paticular piece of equipment revolved around automating some of our inspection processes. During our discusions about whether to buy or not, someone made the comment that it looked like it would end up being a lot of headaches.

My response was that they were probably right, there would be headaches that came along with the equipment and in getting it to the point where it performed the inspections smoothly, accurately and etc. BUT, hiring someone to do the inspections manually, getting to the point where they could perfrom those inspections smoothly, accurately and etc was going to bring it's own headaches.

So I said it wasn't a matter of avoiding headaches, it was a matter of choosing which type you'd perfer to deal with.

I'd rather dig into an instruction manual, spend some time exchanging emails/phone calls with tech support, maybe even make some modifications to the equipment; or the like, rather than deal with the headaches that come with employees.

I am sick to death with arguing about over use of cell phones while workin, wondering if people are going to show up, wondering if they're going to leave; taking our means and methods with them to a competitor and just generally doing whatever mediocre minimum they think they can get by with.

Besides, setting aside ones perfered poison; once solved, problems with the equipment tend to remain solved. Not so much where employees are concerned.

edit on 11-9-2018 by imwilliam because: spellin

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: notsure1

" Self pride doesnt buy my family food."

Oh Really ? I Own a Business , and in MY Business , Pride and Egotism , Used in Positive Ways , become the Means to Provide for MY Family and Co-Workers . Maybe you are just Approaching the Problem in a Different Way from what is Really Needed ?

yea go to wal mart and buy some shi with your ego . Let me know how that works out..

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

we have higher expectations, as individuals and as a society.
most employers expect their employees to have phones, along with cars, they expect them to come in to work wearing clean clothes, with clean bodies and hair. they expect them to have addresses and hey, if they call in sick, they might expect them to come in with doctor's notes. they really don't want to hire the homeless, starving, sick person that is living in the cave behind their place to flip hamburgs!!

and neighbors expect the people living around them to keep their lawns mowed, the homes nicely painted and maintained. and they expect them to be somewhat quiet. they wouldn't appreciate the rooster crowing in the apartment next to them or the cow living out on the neighbor's balcony.
the depression was a different time, where most lived out in rural areas, they had their own gardens, along with chickens and such. and they hunted, could sew their own clothing, knew how to can the extra food they grew and other skills that have long been forgotten. they weren't as reliant on money to begin with!!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Try Not to Sound so Shallow here notsure1 , I Am SURE of That ..................

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

good point

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

hell I made 500 a week as a bus boy working 32 hours a week at 17, paid all my own bills and had money left over to say for whatever I wanted

that was only in 2003

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

What I've noticed, not just over the last year but as part of a trend over several years is a huge lack of skilled labor. Companies are getting desperate and lowering standards further and further, to the point that they're now taking unskilled labor and just hoping it works out. This could be leading people to move away from low skill jobs like fast food but it doesn't mean work is being done properly.

For example, let me tell you a story that happened at work recently that I ended up overhearing. Someone who purchased our product was calling in asking for tech support. The tech support guys went over everything, and eventually came to the conclusion that the product wasn't calibrated correctly. This particular product is used extensively in forensic analysis to determine chemical compositions, and is frequently used by the court to determine if someone had drugs on them.

Now, the particular miscalibration for this device was resulting in it giving a false positive for some compound nearly 100% of the time. The kicker though? The person who was calibrating this device had been doing so incorrectly for 5 years and it was just pure random chance that they realized it returned a false positive this one time.

Naturally, this is leading to a huge lawsuit for that company, and a bunch of people in jail possibly wrongfully trying to get their cases retried. As it turns out, the lab tech the company hired that was using the equipment lied to get on the job, and since the machines were giving some sort of output, no one ever caught on until recently.

That is happening all across the US in all types of sectors. Employers are hiring unqualified people out of pure desperation, and simply hoping things don't go wrong.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: musicismagic

So long as we have academics claiming that math class tracking promotes apartheid because too many non-minorities get into the more difficult math classes, you won't see our education improve at turning out job-ready candidates either.

I've posted it here before. One of the questions I ask when we interview people is a medium difficulty mathematical question. Failing it doesn't necessarily disqualify the candidate but it certainly doesn't help them. I've been asking the question for about 9 months now. Not a single person has passed it yet.

The US has a significant talent shortage these days.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: chiefsmom

They don't count job equivalent toward degree?

There are still places out here that will so long as the experience in question is directly work relevant. So you can't claim that 3 to 5 years of Burger King is Master's equivalent, but if you are applying to a job that requires a Master's and have job experience in that direct field you can sometimes count it.

Every company has their own scale. Some consider 1:1, some consider 6:1, I've even come across companies where it's 10:1... so there if they ask for an Associates they won't consider anything less than 20 years experience in that specific role as a substitute. Higher/lower positions do not count, they generally want years in only that role. Which means they either hire someone with a degree, or they hire someone who isn't going anywhere in the rest of their career.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

an associates is not equal to 20 years of experience where are you getting your information???

if companies were hiring out of desperation wages would be skyrocketing it's not reflecting in the economic data

edit on 11-9-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
There is the same problem in the UK. SME's (Small and Medium sized Enterprises) are complaining that school-leavers and graduates aren't considering them as options and only working for the larger companies and multinationals. The main reason, the larger companies pay more and have better working conditions. School-leavers are giving up going to university and going straight onto apprenticeship schemes with the large companies; study while you earn.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I had an interview with one startup. They offered me 60% of my current salary, told me to put my belongings in storage, sublet my apartment and use AirBnB to find a room to rent. They even tried to keep me locked in the interview room until I signed the agreement right there and then. Others offered even lower: 14K. Compare that to a salary of a London underground tube driver at 45K.

When my college was looking around for placements for their students they interviewed many SME business directors, and unfortunately many had some kooky ideas; "We're looking for someone we could have sit in a corner and have them do all the things that we've never had time to do" or "Recruiting bright graduates is like trapping wild animals".

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I've said this before, but as someone who's tried to train about 6 or 7 different people over just the last few years at my current job, the biggest thing I notice is people don't want to work. Out of those people i've had two stay somewhat long term. One was a friend of mine I got a job after months of finding nobody, she stayed for a year and a half before leaving for health reasons. The current guy helping me's been there about 5 months now. He worked with just about everyone else in the shop, couldn't learn their jobs/my other coworkers were unwilling to teach properly. He's one of the few people we've had come in lately who's actually been motivated it's starting to be worth the effort of teaching him now, but for a good part of the time it actually made my days more difficult and stressful to have to watch this dude and make sure nothing's #ing up and, teach him a trade while still making sure my work gets done. He's good because he's willing to put in the effort to learn for himself but a lot of people aren't willing to put that effort in. I've watched more than one person decide they would rather dig trenches all day until they get sick of it and quit than actually go ask any questions or try to learn anything new.

And don't even get me started about day labour people.....

Then there's just those people that would rather literally do # all. On my route home this evening I walked past at least 3 groups of people my age or younger chilling on the side of the road with signs literally saying # like give me money for weed and booze or 'too lazy to work' or my favourite of the evening, 'too ugly to prostitute'.

Then there's people like.my cousin, who at 25 still lives with my aunt who works two jobs to pay rent and bills and such, while my cousin sleeps all day then wakes up at night, watches YouTube videos all night then sleeps.

Or the people like the many young people i've seen while working at rich people's homes who live at home, do nothing and have mommy and daddy look after them like they're #ing toddlers.

Sorry this got kinda ranty, but it makes my brain hurt. And this isn't one of those young people rants. I've seen the same behaviour from older people too and I work with a few young people who work their asses off every day, try and learn what they can and actually seem to want to succeed at things they do in life.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

the market is f'd up most companies wouldn't know talent if it was punching them, kicking them while they were down and stomping their head out

the corporate and academic culture in this country has lost it's #

you even said it, "finding talent is like trapping wild animals"

yeah they have no idea what they are looking for that's what happens when you promote a bunch of mediocre people who fit in for decades they forget what real talent looks like

edit on 11-9-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It's ridiculous what some companies expect of their employees compared to their payment. People are naïve to think that minimum wage is okay for every job that doesn't have a serious skill component.

I currently work at a company that struggles to find entry-level employess to do work that requires self-motivation and medium-labor.

It's absurd. If i didn't like the people I work with, I probably would have quit already. These companies will create very low wages in slam their front-line managers with all the problems of hiring people that never stay more than 3 monthes.

And the managers make very little. The main reason I went back to finishing school is because of this company i work for. Their entire mentality is "f!ck you, get it done, I dont care about any motivational factors".

Basically you need a skill otherwise you're f!cked. Give these corporations as much tax breaks as you want. They WILL NOT help out the little guy unless it benifits their paychecks. Trickle down is nonsense.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Pay the people who want to work and stay at the company more money. It's that simple. Except many companies don't. They don't care that the good people leave. They leave the stress of constant hiring and training on their low-wage managers.

I deal with the same issue. Many young and even old don't want to work or have some agenda. Every time I get a good employee they leave very soon because the company doesn't want to give SERIOUS raises.

Their entire mentality is "pay low wage and if they leave, hire another person". With the open job market, we are hiring basically everybody. Lots of stress on low-end managers and zero accountability for the higher-ups. Nobody up top gets fired. Even if managers are working 80 hours a week.

These companies don't care. Tax breaks or not. It's all about keeping wages to a minimum. Not keeping long-term employees.

edit on 11-9-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

So in other words you dont want to look dumb by saying something like whatever is more important than pay at a job..

That is the one and only reason we work.

So we can get paid..

Dude how old are you? I'm not making any of this up, it is well known...When I can google 20 million hits that agree with me you can do the same.

I feel like I'm talking to a head fryer at BK. We all work for money, but money is the worst motivator to perform. It is very short lived as I said before. I'm not suggesting anyone would work for free, I'm saying is I would not get more productivity from you and you would not "like" your job better to do better if all I did was give you a raise.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
you guys ever consider the possibility that a large portion of the population isn't buying into the giant lie our civilization is selling with a purely material based culture?

bet that has a lot to do with it, the rate of people choosing to drop out of society is very high, maybe there's something wrong here.....

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
whatever man
ill stick right here with my tiny balls
not willing to do what you are talking about

Maybe that means you made the wrong choices in life, and now you're being punished for it.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

The only thing Walmart Maximizes on is stupidity to make sure that there is no mutiny at any store. I make what you pay in taxes yearly in 2 weeks.

Cheers.

You don't by leading a team...If you did you would understand what I'm saying. I don't think you even understand what 1% means...lol

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join