It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not enough employees too many jobs -severe labor shortage

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Mein Gott, was für ein kompletter Idiot, mit dem du dich hier beschäftigst! Ich fühle deinen Schmerz Mein Herr.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

You find me a company like that these days and I'll work there. These days employers want loyalty with no reciprocity in there, you get mediocre benefits, and then "perks". When I say "perks" I'm talking free food and drinks in the office, massage days, flexible working hours, discretionary paid time off, etc. While all of these seem attractive on the outside, they're designed to keep the employee there constantly.

You take less time off since there's an "unlimited" bucket of it, but since you have to request that time off you don't do it because it may make you look bad among your peers. You eat lunch at your desk because food is provided, so you spend more time at the office. Flexible working hours means that you'll get emails at all hours of the day that you'll feel bound to reply to. The massage days thing, it's new, but in a job description that I received today it was listed as a perk. All of these things are ways the company saves money, keeps you there longer hours, all at no increase in your pay or tangible benefits like 401k or pension.

You get all of this, are expected to devote yourself to a 60 hour work week while being paid for 40, phone always on and always responding to emails. Yet at the same time, you are an at will employee so you can be let go for no reason at all. Bad year at the company, see ya!

Now though, and I saw this in an article about employees ghosting companies, the employees are starting to get a little more power. I know there's resource shortages out there, I'm in a field where the pool of talent is quite small. I get contacted daily by recruiters and companies looking to hire me on, all of them with these "perks", yet most of them not willing to pay even what I make where I am. So yeah recruiters are being ghosted, heck I have a standard email response "Please provide me a job rec, compensation range, and travel/work from home percentage". That one sentence right there just gets no response out of 75% of them, 20% of them provide me the bare minimum and leave off the comp, and 5% actually provide me what I'm looking for. If you can't answer three simple questions, you get no response from me, the ones that do respond and are not a fit I pass on to my network.

So long winded, but that being said, if you can find me a company that would be loyal to me, I'll have a spot that lasts longer than 1.5-2 years.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Keep complaining.

You're all going to be replaced by AI anyway.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

Oh you are right and it's already happening. It is at our mcdonald's, grocery stores, panera and walmart, the problem is a lot of times they don't work right. Lot's of kinks to work out before it's really a solution.

link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

Let me ask you something so you can see where I am right and you're dead wrong, Have you ever been inside of a Ferrari? i mean truly a beautiful, hand crafted, hand STICHED, Ferrari? Or Lamborghini? Let me tell you, there is NOTHING like it. Now, why are these cars expensive? It has everything to do with the fact that it is seen as a status symbol and costs lots and lots of $ to those who want something rare that you simply do not see going to get groceries everyday. Now why is a Honda civic, 20 - 30k? Because it costs nearly 0 to make a hundred million of them as the material needed to make them and getting it to factory and assembly, has all been figured out. If no one drove cars, all cars would be expensive, because no one could really afford one, and thus the material to make them, as no one is going after it, would be rare to come by, and thus higher prices.

This lesson brought to you by the 1%

Well first I typical pay over 100k in fed taxes each year so don't think for some reason you are special Mr. 1% ...lol

You don't think Walmart has not already maximized they sales capabilities, maximized their customer base, maximized their profit on what they can sale competitively?

edit on 11-9-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

ya know, I can't see a welfare mom sealing your driveway, or really doing much as far as landscaping.
my husband worked asphalt for a time, not only was it rather dirty work, but it blew his back out, something he had to live with the rest of his life.
we've spent decades telling the kids to go to college, get degrees, that's where the money is. at the same time, we degraded the trades, practically stopped the apprenticeship programs, and for many, made their lives hell with lower and lower wages and more and more layoffs. so now we've got a bunch of college educated people who just won't demean themselves taking the jobs we have while not being able to find the jobs that they trained for who also need that high pay if they are gonna pay off their student loans while still being able to life halfway decently.

stripping welfare isn't gonna help yas at this point. most of those programs require the recipient to either be in some sort of training program, or get into the workforce unless they have very young kids or are certified as being disabled. heck, NY would actually assign you a job if you couldn't find one, be it a bus aide or whatever back during the clinton years.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

I would like to know what you think motivates people at their job more than money???

Damn dude you got the internet, use it. I am not making this up BTW use your Google skills...lol

About 20,700,000 results (0.49 seconds) as example...lol

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Take away food and money and motivation will emerge.

Back during the depression people were willing to do absolutely anything for work/money. What has changed?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: Xtrozero

Mein Gott, was für ein kompletter Idiot, mit dem du dich hier beschäftigst! Ich fühle deinen Schmerz Mein Herr.

Thanks for the words and music...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: notsure1

I would like to know what you think motivates people at their job more than money???

Damn dude you got the internet, use it. I am not making this up BTW use your Google skills...lol

About 20,700,000 results (0.49 seconds) as example...lol

So in other words you dont want to look dumb by saying something like whatever is more important than pay at a job..

That is the one and only reason we work.

So we can get paid..

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: dawnstar

Take away food and money and motivation will emerge.

Back during the depression people were willing to do absolutely anything for work/money. What has changed?

A large middle class that was ablecto buffer the need to work...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

The ONLY Solution is Wage Increases Across the Board for All Fields of Work to Encourage People to be Employed . A LIVING WAGE at Bare Minimum should be the New Norm in 2018 Considering U.S. Economic Growth .

Increased wages leads to increased costs- what service do you provide?
Double the pay of fast food workers, cost of fast food has to double to pay for it.
Farmers? food.

Get it?
Double everyones pay, cost of everything doubles.

Maybe look at cutting taxes instead- property tax is outrageous, and for rental properties it's passed off in the cost of rent.
Income taxes are out of control- to pay someone 10 an hour it'll cost a company 15, and they'll only see 7. That means they need to make $15 worth of value for every $7 they take home for a $10/hr job.... which doesn't come close to paying the rent.

The money itself is broken by design- there's no fixing this while under the thumb of fiat currency.

Well sure, if you double everyone's pay...

On the other hand, the net worth of ALL the world's billionaires increased from less than $1 trillion in 2000 to over $7 trillion by 2015...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If someone called yu and asked you to come do some work around their house , mow the lawn paint the fence, whatever.

And they told you it will take you about an hour and they will give you 12 bucks you would tell them to go $$$% themselves.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

" That is the one and only reason we work. "

No , it;s Not . Ever Hear of the Concept of Self Pride , or Egotism ? Our Lives are Based on it . Some Abuse it , Others Harness it's Power to do Good in this World If they Can . Money Serves it's Purpose , but Personal Actions Define Who and What We are in this World . Money Can be the Root of All Evil OR Good . It comes down to Individual Personal Choices in Life that Seal All of Our Fates IMO..............

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

" That is the one and only reason we work. "

No , it;s Not . Ever Hear of the Concept of Self Pride , or Egotism ? Our Lives are Based on it . Some Abuse it , Others Harness it's Power to do Good in this World If they Can . Money Serves it's Purpose , but Personal Actions Define Who and What We are in this World . Money Can be the Root of All Evil OR Good . It comes down to Individual Personal Choices in Life that Seal All of Our Fates IMO..............

Self pride doesnt buy my family food.. Its fine to be proud of the job you did but you wouldnt do it if there wasnt a paycheck..

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Yes massa, thank you for the gruel massa.

Life is meant to be lived, not just survive. If all you have to offer is basic survival for hard labor, you're a slave master, no more, no less. Until people get over the idea that slave wages is acceptable, you'll get what you pay for, the bare #ing minimum work, cause all you're providing is the bare #ing minimum life.

It's not lazyness, it's called getting what you pay for. In some cases people can't even afford basic survival with the wages provided and need government assistance on top of it. Which means once again, you get what you pay for, less than a minimal job, a truly #ty job to go with your #ty pay.

Oh and another thing, if you expect people to work their entire lives away at your job to the point what free time they have at home is spent exhausted in full on recovery mode, don't be surprised when they goof off at work, take longer breaks than they are supposed to, and work at a leisurely pace. After all, your job is the only life they have and they aren't going to spend it doing nothing but slaving for you.
edit on 9/11/2018 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

" Self pride doesnt buy my family food."

Oh Really ? I Own a Business , and in MY Business , Pride and Egotism , Used in Positive Ways , become the Means to Provide for MY Family and Co-Workers . Maybe you are just Approaching the Problem in a Different Way from what is Really Needed ?
edit on 11-9-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
What most employers don't realize is that if you pretend to pay your employees; they will pretend to work and steal you blind.

Loyalty is expensive....

I have a profit sharing plan with my employees, I can leave and go work on other projects and feel comfortable with my people in control.
edit on 11-9-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
What most employers don't realize is that if you pretend to pay your employees; they will pretend to work and steal you blind.

Loyalty is expensive....

Ah , NO . You Are Sadly Mistaken Grasshopper .......)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

Im hiring at 10-11 an hour and cant get anyone in for an interview. In fact when I ask around the people I know in the service industry try and get me to work for them. I joke I will steal their cooks.. starting to not feel like a joke though.. but I did find someone at leat part time.. Id prefer someone at 38 hours but what can ya do?

Its odd..

$10-$11/h and 38 hours a week?

Yeah......I made more than that when I was 19 working in a grocery store....when rent and food cost half as much as now. Ahaha i made more money working at A&W before that for # sake...good luck...
edit on 11/9/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join