It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not enough employees too many jobs -severe labor shortage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
it's not worth it to work and people are sick of working their ass of low pay so nobody wants the crap jobs anymore, cost of living has literally doubled in a 10 year time span

even the carpenter's union here has trouble finding guys because they start off first year guys at $14 an hour and it's really a # wage compared to cost of living

that means you can't support yourself as a carpenter's apprentice

raw deal honestly everyone needs to stop accepting the current pay rates and demand more, yes this will lead to an uptick in inflation and an increase in interest rates by the Fed

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: JAGStorm

The ONLY Solution is Wage Increases Across the Board for All Fields of Work to Encourage People to be Employed . A LIVING WAGE at Bare Minimum should be the New Norm in 2018 Considering U.S. Economic Growth .

Increased wages leads to increased costs- what service do you provide?
Double the pay of fast food workers, cost of fast food has to double to pay for it.
Farmers? food.

Get it?
Double everyones pay, cost of everything doubles.

Maybe look at cutting taxes instead- property tax is outrageous, and for rental properties it's passed off in the cost of rent.
Income taxes are out of control- to pay someone 10 an hour it'll cost a company 15, and they'll only see 7. That means they need to make $15 worth of value for every $7 they take home for a $10/hr job.... which doesn't come close to paying the rent.

The money itself is broken by design- there's no fixing this while under the thumb of fiat currency.

No it does not.

I make more than everyone on this forum, some of you, combined. Higher wages do not equal higher prices. Please let this fallacy die.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

If they paid employees 20 bucks an hour they could cut the work force because people making twice the money will do twice the work.

Make it a job people like and worth having they will work their ass off for you.

Money has never been a motivator for higher quality work... Not something I want to debate, but if you give someone a raise they do not think wow I'm going to work harder...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

I create a thread on this recently

according to Federal Reserve studies conducted you are correct

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

raw deal honestly everyone needs to stop accepting the current pay rates and demand more,

might be easy for you.
not so easy for others.

i can demand all i want up to a certain point. after that point i need to work.
i have people that depend on me.

not saying you dont but everyone has a different situation. we dont all have the luxury of holding out for our demands

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

If they paid employees 20 bucks an hour they could cut the work force because people making twice the money will do twice the work.

Make it a job people like and worth having they will work their ass off for you.

Money has never been a motivator for higher quality work... Not something I want to debate, but if you give someone a raise they do not think wow I'm going to work harder...

I pay great $ for high quality work, and my team is very motivated to make more based on the enjoyment having $, a tool, brings.

Money is a great motivator. Try not having it sometime.
edit on 11-9-2018 by SR1TX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Increased wages leads to increased costs- what service do you provide?

wrong, there is a cap on what you can charged based on what people are willing to pay, the market dictates the cost of running a business not the other way around

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

grow balls

everyone grow balls and hold out, be willing to walk, make a sacrifice

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

I make more than everyone on this forum, some of you, combined. Higher wages do not equal higher prices. Please let this fallacy die.

It is all based on the value of the work too. I think you are wrong in if you are 1% and feel your earnings are not impacting and so 100 million others all getting more pay is the same you are wrong.

Take Walmart at 13 billion per year net profit. With 2 million employees if they increased all to 4 more dollars per hour they would have negative profit if they didn't raise prices.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I disagree. I will work alot harder for more pay.

That is why I do alot of jobs by myself so I can make more money and dont have to pay someone.

That is working harder for more money..

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Ten jobs, five employees, you do the math.

Unless those jobs start paying significantly higher there isn't going to be a change. The only thing that will happen is those five employees will shift around.

The only answer is to find "missing" employees
-elderly
-non-working adults
-migrants
-more teens

Those aren't the only options for manufacturers.

We can and are automating. Big trade show this week, tons of robots, I can't wait.

link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: TinySickTears

grow balls

everyone grow balls and hold out, be willing to walk, make a sacrifice

whatever man
ill stick right here with my tiny balls
not willing to do what you are talking about

oh well

link   
There are over 100 million adults in this country who do not have full-time jobs. I doubt there is any real labor shortage, given those figures.

Stories like this are usually designed to lower opposition to bringing in more foreign workers.

link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Money has never been a motivator for higher quality work

completely false, I work in the trades and I do better work for better money period, don't like it don't buy it

I am very up front

your options are;

1. fast work - cost less
2. good work - cost more

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
There are over 100 million adults in this country who do not have full-time jobs. I doubt there is any real labor shortage, given those figures.

Stories like this are usually designed to lower opposition to bringing in more foreign workers.

stories like this directly translate to not willing to pay more

top 3 reasons no one wants to work for or with you

1. corporate culture and how the company views it's employee's
2. pay
3. fellow employee's and managers sucking

if you can't find employee's those are the top 3 reasons why

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Fake news debunked

www.breitbart.com...

The report highlighted “immigration fears” and claimed “a surge of arrests” by the Trump administration was partly to blame.

The problem: the central fact relied on by NBC News to back up the anecdotes of the single farmer interviewed is two years old. The connection to current debates over immigration or the Trump administration is simply imaginary. “The labor shortage is so severe that entire fields like these have gone unharvested.

In fact, here in central California in two counties more than $13 million have been lost,” NBC correspondent Jo Ling Kent said while standing in the midst of a lush field of leafy vegetables.

That $13 million figure comes from an annual survey of the members of the Grower-Shipper Association of Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties.
But the survey was taken last year and asked respondents about revenue lost due to a lack of workers in 2015.

So NBC News was not reporting on current farm conditions but farm conditions as they existed in the seventh year of the Obama administration. “This has been an ongoing problem and it continues. It’s not something that has suddenly happened,” Claire Wineman of the Association told Breitbart News.

The Association plans to take its next survey in September, but that will ask about the farm situation in 2016. We won’t know how famers in these counties were affected by the Trump administration’s policies until at least 2018.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

I pay great $ for high quality work, and my team is very motivated to make more based on the enjoyment having $, a tool, brings.

Money is a great motivator. Try not having it sometime.

Give them 5 bucks an hour pay raise and see if they work harder...lol More pay just becomes the new norm and so production will drop back to what it was before.

You still need to pay for skill and the value the position brings you, so yes you could be paying big $$ for a person's skills, BUT they better be bringing profit to offset that pay or you will not be in business very long.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Geez I wonder if Trump's tough love against illegal immigration and American born people not willing to do "crappy jobs" has anything to do with it?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Many do not. Or want to underpay.
I started as secretary, and worked up to Admin in less than 10 years, and was with the company for over 20.

I had one fellow, basically wanted me to run it when he isn't there, for 13 an hour. Taco bell in town starts at 14.

If fast food places offered Healthcare, they could completely turn this around. And the thing is, having dealt with health care providers for companies, they would get good rates, having so many employees. It is dumb that they don't.

edit on 11-9-2018 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

you can't attract decent employee's to your business with low pay

a good broker knows their worth and asks for it and those are exactly the kind of go getters you want working for you

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join