It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End to Stars or show usernames of who starred posts?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Firstly, I like this particular forum because there is no option to star posts. If you have any wish to express your agreement with posts you are forced to actually comment, not just star a post on the secret sly.
Facebook/Twitter both do it, some forums I know have a similar option naming the members who 'thank' a poster etc, so who thinks this would be a good option for ATS?

I'll go first: I would like ATS to have this feature introduced, but if it couldn't be for whatever reason I would like the whole anonymous starring system removed instead.
Thanks in advance, I'd be interested in any mods views especially, would it help your job knowing who is pretty much the different 'gangs' on ATS?
Gangs in the sense of fellow humans who agree with much of the same as each other, not negative 'gang' stuff lol

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy
Why do you need to know the username of everyone who starred a post? Do you want to know everyone who flagged a thread as well? Sincere questions. I don't see the advantage on ATS. Sounds like a bit of paranoia.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Childish idea.

It's bad enough with all the crybaby crap that is going on and all this would do is add to it.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

There will always be “ gangs” .. aka peeps who identify with each others way of viewing certain issues.

I think removing the anonymous star process would only contribute more to the so called gang mentality.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Well that's two against the idea so far lol, pity nobody can star their posts in this thread, or not.

EDIT
Sorry, 3 against the idea, I posted late.
edit on 8-9-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

This question gets asked periodically. Equally periodically, the answer is no.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
How about just get rid of stars and flags altogether

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull
Thanks for the reply

Is there a particular reason why, or is the reason withheld?

link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
How about just get rid of stars and flags altogether

I like that idea... would eliminate a lot of “ high school “ type popularity contests.

edit on 8-9-2018 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Sheye

There will always be “ gangs” .. aka peeps who identify with each others way of viewing certain issues.

Yes, and is "gangs" translated those that don't share my view? Wonder if a comment he agrees with, that gets stars, is likewise considered gang activity? Somehow, I suspect not.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
That was my alternative preferred option.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Why do you need to know the username of everyone who starred a post? Do you want to know everyone who flagged a thread as well? Sincere questions. I don't see the advantage on ATS. Sounds like a bit of paranoia.

Would be a great way of building an enemies list for all kinds of reasons.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Scrutinizing
Lol, I think the anonymous star system should be changed so I can see who is mates on ATS, either that or remove the stars. I know it will never happen but it is interesting to read the opinions of those who support the anonymity.
It would paint a much better view of someone if their stars were public, and you seem afraid of that.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
It would paint a much better view of someone if their stars were public, and you seem afraid of that.

Simply shivering in my boots. My first thought, any given morning, and last, any given evening, is the terror of the star system at ATS.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Scrutinizing
Lol, I think the anonymous star system should be changed so I can see who is mates on ATS, either that or remove the stars. I know it will never happen but it is interesting to read the opinions of those who support the anonymity.

Lol, no.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
or they could just make private messages public.

If only there were a way to view the ip address of users.

perhaps a photo id or valid papers should be shown in the place of the avatars.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

You sound like someone waiting to judge another’s character based on what ?
Do you also demand that everyone in your town reveal who they voted for ,so you can better judge their character ?

Many good members don’t speak up often in threads. The stars and flags are their voices, I guess.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I like the show username option. I don't think the no star option would significantly increase post count.
But the owners of this forum can't be making a full time level income from this site.
The username option would increase costs a bit, would involve a back-office type database, additional server(s), more bandwidth, etc. Not ''super'' expensive, but just making up numbers, here.

If you make $ 2000 per month from a site,And it costs 1200 to run it, and it runs fine, generates a nice cushion, why increase your spend to 1500?.

It would be cool though. But it would make the site more mainstream, if that makes sense. It would maybe somewhat ruin the site for me, a bit. I get that feature at social networking sites, here it's a break from ppl posting for 'likes'.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Get rid of the star/flag system!? Do you have any idea how long it took me to finally get to 10.000 stars?

I've calculated that in exactly 18 months, 3 days and 12 hours I'll reach this amount and I can finally collect my ATS coffee mug!!

I've been notifying all my friends for months, catering was already taken care off, casual or formal, plastic cups or glass.....

Yeah...want my stars and flags?

Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

or they could just make private messages public.

😏... now that would be interesting.. very interesting. My bet is all sorts of T&C’s are broken in pm’s but mods just aren’t aware of them, because they don’t poke into them, unless asked to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join