It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End to Stars or show usernames of who starred posts?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
There is of course a rather simple sollution to all this.

As it stands:

(K = Karma) K = (stars * 15) + ((flags + applause) * 10) / posts

Now everyone who looks at this methode should see pretty quickly what is going wrong here...

What we need is different colored stars:

Red star: I don"t agree with you but respect the point you bring forth

Yellow star: I like you as a member and pretty much everything you posts get starred by me

Blue star: The pity star

Green star: I don"t care what you just posted, it reinforces my point so I"m starring it

Black star: the "you took the words out of my mouth" star

White star: I read your post and wanted to let you know I got the message

Now through this simple addition of colored stars we can calculate them by their respective weight. Of course the time in which the total amount of stars and flag collected by a certain user should be taken into account as well. But by taking the lenght of membership devided by the number of threads started multiplied by the amount of stars (only red, blue and black of course) and |Xk − Xk−1| ≤ 1, allowing us to apply Azuma's inequality we should get a much clearer view on who is getting all the stars and why...

Of course anybody with some basic knowledge would quickly see that this calculation isn"t complete...

I am way ahead of you....colored flags!!

Peace

edit on 2018pAmerica/ChicagoSun, 09 Sep 2018 03:53:12 -0500am305320189 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   
The current system will be remaining indefinitely. There have been discussions in the past about upvoting and downvoting and the overwhelming consensus was it'd be far too contentious and divisive. The same goes for bringing 'ignore' or 'Foe' buttons back. Accentuate the positive is the preferred way.

Somehow tagging member names to stars and flags would be divisive in a very similar way. Anonymous starring can be done minus compulsion or peer pressure according to whatever whim, mood or intent we feel in the moment. With this system nobody will ever be asked to account for why they starred so-and-so...or didn't.

Staff have no way of knowing who stars or flags whom.

Thread closed.

new topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join