It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would the shelves in your supermarket look if you banned all foreign goods?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

What would the shelves in your supermarket look if you banned all foreign goods?

For me, they'd likely look a lot like they do after we've had a few days of bad weather; empty.

Supermarket shelves left bare after ferries delayed

Co-op considered using ex-military cargo plane to get food into Jersey

On the bright side, if all foreign food imports were banned, we'd always have a plentiful supply of Jersey milk and Royal Potatoes, so I guess we could all live on potato salad

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity

For me, they'd likely look a lot like they do after we've had a few days of bad weather; empty.

Supermarket shelves left bare after ferries delayed

Co-op considered using ex-military cargo plane to get food into Jersey

On the bright side, if all foreign food imports were banned, we'd always have a plentiful supply of Jersey milk and Royal Potatoes, so I guess we could all live on potato salad

Funny... I went to connecticut some months back for a festival and the town/city I was in, the local supermarket shelves looked just like this. And these are majority liberal areas. I've come to the conclusion that most northern towns and small cities mostly live on basic groceries. In Kingston, I had to make my own BBQ sauce which was pretty fun. I'm sure it was so much more healthy than what I can easily find here in the south.

Once more, I don't see the problem. Apparently most northern cities and towns probably wouldn't be affected in the least since it's all local stuff up there.

Though I still question what these people do for a living up there. It's all sparsely populated in a land of trees. I guess all the yankees are artists now days while most of the work actually goes on in the south. lol

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: Kharron
a reply to: ForteanOrg

Good point the video makes. And Walmart would be the same as that -- empty. Which is why I don't shop at Walmart, because those low prices are such due to the exploitation of workers across the globe in order to import them at such low prices.

It's always a good test for me when I meet people and get to know them enough to broach it -- what do they believe in and do they live by those beliefs. If someone hates immigrants, Mexicans, Muslims and whatever other countries but refuses to boycott Walmart and only thinks about their money, their wallet, and not their values -- chances are we won't get very far in the long run. Other hypocrisies will come up.

I smoke. If the US banned cigarettes, it would be the best thing and I would welcome it. My health would improve and I'd only fiend for 2 days so I say that's a good thing. As long as they're selling them, chances are, I'll be buying them.

Still not seeing a downside here. But of course you will if you really want to find one.

You have a choice to wait till you get sick and have to quit or just quit now while you still have your health. Cigarettes won't be banned while they make so much money for both government and the corps that make them.

That wasn't my point at all. Good job

OK, nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to smoke. I know what your point was I just decided to make a point of my own.

Hello... Addiction...

But again... NOT my point.

edit on 3-9-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Oh right, you should get a free pass then..

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Oh right, you should get a free pass then..

what

ya know what... don't answer. I don't care. I probably still wouldn't understand your reasoning abilities.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Of course you don't ,anything more complex that 5th grade logic is confusing for you....

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
In Britain?
Bakeries and meat would be lining the shelves, a bit like Skyrim, lol.
Not something I'd mind at all.
Cereals, Jam, Bread, a lot of fruits, meat and fish. That's all you need right?

No need for companies like Coca Cola.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

For the first season it would be boring but healthier
Like it was the 1970s
Fruits and veggies would be seasonal.

A more fair comparison To the German short would be to make each state (or several if they are smaller) survive on local goods.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Canadians are proud of their local dairies.
Kawartha ice-cream, butter, milk . . .
All are under threat, by Trump and u.s.
I'll get my own cow, before buying
any imported GMO's or produce from cal. u.s.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ToneDeaf

Oh we're proud of our Jersey milk, it's world famous and sold as far away as China, but there's only so-much potato salad one can eat,

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   
As a Canadian they would be fairly empty.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   
If we couldn't import food then the exotic foods would start to be grown indoors using lights, similar to cannabis grows. Obviously they would be a lot more expensive to buy, but it would be great for our economies.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

If they implemented the change slowly then the shelves would remain full.

There are restrictions on what the local area can provide. Assuming that the US would accept an "USA produced foods only" policy, you probably would have sufficient corn, eggs, dairy and honey. But diversity would diminish. You would not eat as much meat as you do now. Some spices would be missing. You would not enjoy that many kinds of fruits. Coffee would be scarce, as would chocolate. An estimated 15 percent of the U.S. food supply is imported, including 50 percent of fresh fruits, 20 percent of fresh vegetables and 80 percent of seafood. Some goods would become very expensive, especially if local crops failed.

You seem to be a bit confused about life in the US. Almost everything that is really needed is available locally, including meat. I grew more than you describe above in my own back yard. A short drive and you start to see field after field growing all kinds of things. This also includes cows, sheep and other animals. There are huge farms near here where turkeys and chickens are mass produced. The government really does pay farmers to stop producing, because we overproduce.

We have orchards full of apples, pears, and all kinds of fruit. Grape vineyards are also big around here, although the main producer is Cali. Cali also grows lettuce and other things. (Cali is good for some things.) Down south in Florida they grow orange crops and other such things. You can drive up to Maine to get the best lobster and crab, although they ship it all over the country.

That 15 percent that you are talking about is the coffee, chocolate, exotic fruits. It would be hard at first if it happened suddenly, but I have no doubt that the US could pick up production to fill in that 15% pretty quickly. We just don't do it because there has been no need.

The US is much larger than you seem to realize. Our land is diverse. We have fishing and much open land is still available.

I would love to see the US become totally self sufficient and not depend on other countries for anything at all.

edit on 9/25/18 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   

We will know what Walmart will look like in a few weeks.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty
If we couldn't import food then the exotic foods would start to be grown indoors using lights, similar to cannabis grows. Obviously they would be a lot more expensive to buy, but it would be great for our economies.

The future is now. If it can be done in the bowels of London, it can be done anywhere.

Welcome to the Agricultural Revolution!

At Growing Underground, we sustainably grow mouth-wateringly fresh micro greens and salad leaves 33 metres below the busy streets of Clapham. Using the latest hydroponic systems and LED technology, our crops are grown year-round in the perfect, pesticide-free environment that these forgotten tunnels provide. Thanks to a controlled environment, each tiny leaf tastes as amazing as the last. Our greens are unaffected by the weather and seasonal changes, and thanks to our prime location, we reduce the need to import crops and drastically reduce the food miles for retailers and consumers.

Anything that reduces food production's carbon footprint sits right with me.

From Farm to Fork in Under Four Hours

We prioritize sustainable growing practices, and are working towards carbon neutral certification. Our hydroponics system uses 70% less water than traditional open-field farming, and all nutrients are kept within the closed-loop system removing any risk of agricultural run-off. Since we’re limiting food miles and keeping our produce local, our leaves can be in your kitchen within 4 hours of being picked and packed. Currently we are providing to wholesalers, local restaurants, and Londoners through Farmdrop, and you’ll be able to find us in the retail market soon.

growing-underground.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

That was due to a transportation issue. Not a supply issue.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty

A lot of Vine ripe tomatoes are grown in Canada. I'm pretty sure they aren't grown outdoors.
Maybe America is a little different, but much of our food is grown in the US unless it's cheaper to buy it from other countries. From the video it makes it sound like the home country doesn't produce much of anything in the way of food products.
I think the video went overboard with the whole Globalism tilt of it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join