It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would the shelves in your supermarket look if you banned all foreign goods?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If the ban meant American companies could make a comeback. I have no problem taking the hit . The fight for the economy is about our kids and grandkids. As long as that fight is in effect. You're going to have to take me down swinging .

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Propaganda video that compare immigrants with delicious chocolate..

I bet Merkel is clapping with all her might

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I shop at a mom & pop with a heavy focus on local farms, and in-state farms. Aside from a distinct lack of coffee, and probably some tea types, it wouldn't look much different at all aside from less fruits from tropical countries. Not that they sell many mangoes and kiwis and such.

All of the meats they sell are local, all of the dairy products (including specialty cheeses) are local, all of the veggies are local (haven't even bought an Idahoan potato in years, MI grows plenty)
Some of the fruits come from other states, but not a whole hell of a lot. Mostly just oranges, pineapples, etc. Stuff from TX, FL and Cali. Color me real surprised to find out the peaches I've been buying the past few years are grown in MI, too, lol.

Even their breads and bakery items are in-state. A lot of the frozen goods are in-state, as is the dry goods. They really don't stock much from abroad, or even from the major companies.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

What most people don't know, most "coffee" is already Chicory. Chicory is the coffee of smart folks. Not "educated" folks, (they think they're drinking coffee).

With a litttle "real education", individuals and nations would be a lot more "self sustaining" and not so depending on propaganda and large global corporations.
Modern "educated" people wonder,..."Which of my sandals are good for winter?... I can make time for Starbucks. .. I got this!".

edit on 1-9-2018 by murphy22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

Good news for local businesses!

Good news for American growers!

Good news for the American economy.

Good news for America.

I don't see a problem with this. Why do you?

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

Good point the video makes. And Walmart would be the same as that -- empty. Which is why I don't shop at Walmart, because those low prices are such due to the exploitation of workers across the globe in order to import them at such low prices.

It's always a good test for me when I meet people and get to know them enough to broach it -- what do they believe in and do they live by those beliefs. If someone hates immigrants, Mexicans, Muslims and whatever other countries but refuses to boycott Walmart and only thinks about their money, their wallet, and not their values -- chances are we won't get very far in the long run. Other hypocrisies will come up.

I smoke. If the US banned cigarettes, it would be the best thing and I would welcome it. My health would improve and I'd only fiend for 2 days so I say that's a good thing. As long as they're selling them, chances are, I'll be buying them.

Still not seeing a downside here. But of course you will if you really want to find one.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I prefer local farmers markets to Walmart so not much would change from my shopping.

Maybe then we'd have a phase of actual healthy food for a change! That would be ideal.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Propaganda video that compare immigrants with delicious chocolate..

I bet Merkel is clapping with all her might

Well, IMHO this video is well worth applauding, so I hope you're right.

Also, this is not a one way street. The US has also played a HUUUUGE role in globalisation. In my close neighbourhood we have 5 McDonalds, a couple of KFC's and Starbucks is everywhere.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Good point the video makes. And Walmart would be the same as that -- empty. Which is why I don't shop at Walmart, because those low prices are such due to the exploitation of workers across the globe in order to import them at such low prices.

It's always a good test for me when I meet people and get to know them enough to broach it -- what do they believe in and do they live by those beliefs. If someone hates immigrants, Mexicans, Muslims and whatever other countries but refuses to boycott Walmart and only thinks about their money, their wallet, and not their values -- chances are we won't get very far in the long run. Other hypocrisies will come up.

I smoke. If the US banned cigarettes, it would be the best thing and I would welcome it. My health would improve and I'd only fiend for 2 days so I say that's a good thing. As long as they're selling them, chances are, I'll be buying them.

Still not seeing a downside here. But of course you will if you really want to find one.

You have a choice to wait till you get sick and have to quit or just quit now while you still have your health. Cigarettes won't be banned while they make so much money for both government and the corps that make them.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Oh, no... everyone starves unless you submit to globalism!
I didn't realise.
All hail Soros. Save us from starvation.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

The store I worked at until recently (for 4 years) would have absolutely no produce or frozen seafood section at all! Almost all of the produce came from either Mexico or Chile, and 90% of the frozen seafood came from China. That was Walmart Neighborhood Market by the way. Remember the good old days when everything at Walmart was either made or grown in America? Not even close anymore.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Ah, I don't

I do, however, like my specific brand of Italian coffee, and I love Belgian beers. Swiss chocolat. Good old Stilton cheese from Britain. With tawny port from Portugal. Olives! We must have olives, from Greece, or Spain. Italian pizza! German beer! French cheese and wine. Baguettes! Oh, and bagels (from Germany, I believe). And that excellent dark bread, Eiffeler. Chorizo from Spain. Fuet, both from Spain and France. Hey, and then these fine Swedish meat balls one can eat at the IKEA (from Sweden).

Somehow I prefer to live in a world where one can simply go to the next supermarket and buy that stuff..
edit on 1-9-2018 by ForteanOrg because: he wrote but where he meant to write buy.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

Ah, I don't

I do, however, like my specific brand of Italian coffee, and I love Belgian beers. Swiss chocolat. Good old Stilton cheese from Britain. With tawny port from Portugal. Olives! We must have olives, from Greece, or Spain. Italian pizza! German beer! French cheese and wine. Baguettes! Oh, and bagels (from Germany, I believe). And that excellent dark bread, Eiffeler. Chorizo from Spain. Fuet, both from Spain and France. Hey, and then these fine Swedish meat balls one can eat at the IKEA (from Sweden).

Somehow I prefer to live in a world where one can simply go to the next supermarket and but that stuff..

Exactly, I'm not sure people are fully aware of just how much food that is on the shelves comes from oversees. In fact I'm betting those that ridicule this and say they would be happy with only American produced goods would be the first to complain about the lack of variety.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Oh, no... everyone starves unless you submit to globalism!
I didn't realise.
All hail Soros. Save us from starvation.

You'd rather see the return of the happy days, then, right - you know, when a failed crop meant that half of the population died, and you had hulled barley for breakfast, an apple as your lunch and yesterdays roadkill as your dinner...

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Here's something I'd like to add .

When you buy your meat find a local butcher. You'll pay more for your steak, but you'll get a better cut . ( because you get to choose )

Supporting your local economy and getting marbled beef .

I call that a win win .
edit on 1-9-2018 by 14377 because: One of these days I have to remember to proofread

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Remember the good old days when everything at Walmart was either made or grown in America? Not even close anymore.

I can totally appreciate local foods, and think that it is a great idea to have these in your local supermarkets, no matter where you live. However, as I wrote before: there are a lot of non-local foods that I really appreciate and I really don't see a need to give them up. The entire "we can do this on our own" movement, is, like MAGA, sickening. Yes, you can. Actually, you had to, not that long ago. Been there, done that, now let's move on and enjoy diversity.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You have a choice to wait till you get sick and have to quit or just quit now while you still have your health. Cigarettes won't be banned while they make so much money for both government and the corps that make them.

That wasn't my point at all. Good job

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

The store I worked at until recently (for 4 years) would have absolutely no produce or frozen seafood section at all! Almost all of the produce came from either Mexico or Chile, and 90% of the frozen seafood came from China. That was Walmart Neighborhood Market by the way. Remember the good old days when everything at Walmart was either made or grown in America? Not even close anymore.

Yep... Back when Louisiana had shrimpers and your shrimp, fish and oysters were fresh right out of the gulf. Now all of our own waters are fished dry by korean companies sucking what was once my families money crop. Plus you have to worry if the seafood you're eating is going to make you glow in the dark.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Heart stopper right there! No coffee = SpartanStoic. No Spartan Runs, no studying Stoicism. No life, no wife, no kids... wow sucks.

The coffee grown locally where I live is terrible and Robusta varieties. Ick.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That wasn't my point at all. Good job

OK, nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to smoke. I know what your point was I just decided to make a point of my own.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join