It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northrop demonstrates 100Gbps transmission for airborne sensors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
In January of this year, as part of DARPA's 100Gbps RF Backbone program, Northrop successfully demonstrated the ability to send data from an airborne platform, at 100Gbps over 12.4 miles. The transmission was between two ground stations in the LA area. That is fast enough to download a 50 GB Blu-ray disc in 4 seconds.

In phase two of the program, which began in June, they're hoping to demonstrate that capability over 60 miles, and the ability to transmit farther at lower transmission rates.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Wow. Again, wow.

But with millimeter wavelengths it's definitely line of sight.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Welp. With the network backbone soon to having issues with bottlenecking and congestion due to IoT this may ne a way out

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I like how they say, “algorithms have to be rewritten” because at some point a load from disk will be too slow to be situationally aware with all this data!

Micro cube satellites to the rescue!!

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

They're looking at the ability to transmit to guys on the ground, so you're going to be line of sight.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Jammable?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Very difficult. Not impossible, but very very difficult.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

As awesome as that is why does my home WIFI suck donkey things? I personally feel cheated and used..... Not cool but cool at the same time......I’m so confused ATM

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Which case, it sounds like a microwave weapon thing to do or just shoot down the carrier.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

You have to be able to find it. If they get the range up, and put it on something capable of getting high, that's LO, it becomes a lot more difficult.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
and a latancy of OVER 9000

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

That's part of the reason I like lasers more. They don't sidelobe. This will do so much, much less than say a normal com, but even if there are enough sniffers...

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I like how they say, “algorithms have to be rewritten” because at some point a load from disk will be too slow to be situationally aware with all this data!

Micro cube satellites to the rescue!!

Most servers have already moved to SSD's and replaced the spinning platters of rust. It's going to be like the modifications made to the deep space network. They could send a packet of data in microseconds, but the latency going across the solar system means they have to wait minutes between a packet being sent and received. So they made the packets a larger size and modified the network protocols to handle hundreds if not thousands of packets in transit at the same time.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

This gives them an almost real time ability to get sensor data to the guys on the ground. Park a VLO platform overhead, with the newer sensors, and the guys on the ground get unprecedented situational awareness.

You could even put this on a JSTARS type platform and give the guys on the ground the ability to get their data in real time, instead of having to send it back to a ground station, filter it, and then send it forward after reducing the data to something we can currently transmit easily.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

So we are talking a whole system upgrade?

Makes me wonder how far behind the black project budget we really are.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

It's not that simple. You can't just say "we're x years behind the black world". There are areas the white world drives the black, there are areas the black is far ahead of the white, and there are areas where the two are roughly equal.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I agree, the last project I worked on sent data to a handheld device, without inventing faster data transfer we used the white worlds data compression software which was in advance of our military.

Hundreds of thousands of software engineers around the world writing open source mpeg/h.265 or whatever was much simpler than trying to do it yourself.

Whilst the data being streamed was protected by military encryption, open source compression was the best solution for us!

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

wonder what the latency is?

if its fast enough i wonder if video would be fast enough to fly a a2a drone

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: stormcell

So we are talking a whole system upgrade?

Makes me wonder how far behind the black project budget we really are.

www.space.com...

Here's a paper for the TCP-Planet protocol:

pdfs.semanticscholar.org...
edit on 23-8-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   

What's the difference between this system and the one that's on our underwater drones? I know someone that operates drones all over the world from their desk in Mississippi.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join