It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP leader accuses Twitter of censoring conservatives, doesn't go as planned

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
GOP leader accuses Twitter of censoring conservatives, finds out his user settings was hiding tweets
(had to edit thread title again for space issues)
Recently in the land of DERP, Kevin McCarthy wanted to feel like a victim. So he decided to latch onto the recent idea that social media platforms are censoring Conservatives. Naturally that's a nice and easy low hanging fruit for a soft ball hitter like McCarthy to protest his persecution complex with. Unfortunately for him, and very much to the delight of everyone else, he just demonstrated his computer illiteracy instead.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy learned something about Twitter this week, and it had nothing to do with the supposed censorship of right-wing users.

The California Republican sent a tweet on Friday complaining that conservatives were being censored on Twitter. He ordered Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to rectify the issue immediately.

Little did McCarthy know at the time of the tweet that a few, simple clicks of a button on his account's settings would have enabled him to read Laura Ingraham's tweet. Many fellow Twitter users pointed out to McCarthy that he was unable to view Ingraham's tweet because he had the "Hide Sensitive Content" setting turned on. So, no, a shadowy conspiracy to hide conservative content was responsible for the censorship.

Open mouth. Insert foot.

Here I created a screen capture of the Tweet iteslf:

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Who "decides" the "sensitivity" ?

💥🚮💥

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'd guess Twitter. They own the content after all.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Does anyone know what was in the original tweet that caused it to be deemed "sensitive content"?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slave2theTruth

Does anyone know what was in the original tweet that caused it to be deemed "sensitive content"?

Hard to say since there's no link to Ingrahm's Tweet.

This could be a fake story.

Hmmmmm

🎃

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Twitter does CENSOR conservatives.

FACT not accusation.

edit on 20-8-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

There's plenty of links in the Salon article to research this stuff. Here's the twe et directly from Twitter though. You can decide if it's me lying about the tweet or McCarthy.
edit on 20-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Who "decides" the "sensitivity" ?

💥🚮💥

That would be his 'more left leaning' team of employees.

Jack Dorsey admits twitter management is left leaning

Careful OP, certain members think any reference to twitter on ATS is the apex of bigly-ignorance.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
States,

nice and easy low hanging fruit for a soft ball hitter

Then sources Salon.com for his OP.

Swing and a miss.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

There's plenty of links in the Salon article to research this stuff. Here's the twe et directly from Twitter though. You can decide if it's me lying about the tweet or McCarthy.

No link to Ingrahm's Tweet.

Hmmmm

🤓

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I really don't care what the usual peanut gallery thinks, tbh. I'm already well aware they will distort this to either deflect away from McCarthy acting a fool or attempt to make this a thread to whine about Twitter. Oh and I guess xuen is going to attempt to claim the story is fake news while not following any provided links in the thread to see if that is true.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Well ask McCarthy about that. He's the one who posted the image.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Aren't their default user settings set to automatically censor all conservative/republican/pro-Trump content their algorithms and censors miss?

While of course promoting everything on the left?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I think Congressman Cockpit Error might be to ignorant to hold office. First thing he does is a power play instead of understand the alleged problem.

link   

Just to be clear, is it your assertion that Twitter does not practice in the act of censoring conservatives?

link   

I really don't care what the usual peanut gallery thinks, tbh.

You really don't care what the Twitter CEO thinks!

Priceless!

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Just to be clear, is it your assertion that Twitter does not practice in the act of censoring conservatives?

I am making no assertion one way or the other in this thread. I didn't write this thread to talk about Twitter's alleged censoring habits. I made it to talk about a Congressman who just publicly demonstrated his inability to use Twitter.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I really don't care what the usual peanut gallery thinks, tbh.

You really don't care what the Twitter CEO thinks!

Priceless!

I don't remember saying that, but I also don't use Twitter. So, maybe by extension that is true.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
They should call in the Twitter CEO to teach them how to use the platform, just like when Zuckerberg came in to show them how to friend their grandkids.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join