It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Andrew Cuomo shocks crowd, says America 'was never that great'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: DBCowboy

America has always been a work in progress. It’s never been “great” (at least for everyone) and it hasn’t totally sucked for everyone either.

Some good, some bad — always has been and always will be room for improvement.

“Make America better” is a slogan I could buy off on.

“Make America Great Again” is dumb.

Did you feel the same way when Bill Clinton was using it back in 1992? Maybe when Ronnie Reagan was using it in the 80's? Or is it honestly your hatred for all things Trump that is causing this utter sillyness in your responses?

Shouldn't this "slogan" be taken in context? I wonder how those people in the countries that were liberated by the Americans during WW2 feel about how great America was then versus say how the Syrians feel about them now? Getting back to leading the world stage by economic and perceived social awareness isn't a bad thing. I say perceived social awareness because at any snapshot in history, there were always things done that when looked back on were not correct for a "great" country to be doing ie..lack of civil rights and issues like you harp on like attitudes towards homosexuality, etc. Does it mean America wasn't great or does it mean they were great in the context of what was considered acceptable at the time?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
There was a series about a newspaper once, great show, called the newsroom. If anyone can link that speech that would be great, xbox has no copy and paste.

Just seems appropriate for hypocrisy.

👍

Hope this helps: nypost.com...[/url]

“We’re not going to make America great again,” Cuomo said while signing a bill dealing with human trafficking. “It was never that great. We have not reached greatness. We will reach greatness when every American is fully engaged.” Some audience members could be heard ooohing and groaning at Cuomo’s comment.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

so, you are saying that today's kids could have the lost libraries of atlantis to play in and they would be more inclined to riot and burn the thing down to the ground and walk away knowing nothing about the knowledge that was held within?
ya, I am sure there are some kids like that...

Kids in general, and "liberal" adults.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

gee, I'm one of those "liberal adults" and quite frankly, I would love to spend the rest of my life exploring such a find...
but then, I would be more inclines to be insanely taking as many photos as I could before those religious conservatives and mainstream archeologists swooped in and either shipped everything but a few trinkets to the vatican vaults or museum basements to be hidden away because it just didn't jive with their world view and they just can't accept that maybe that world view is wrong.

ya know, it wasn't conservatives that decided that the holy scriptures should be translated into the native languages and that people should be taught to read them. if that hadn't had happened, the priests of old would never have been challenged and they'd still be lying about the words that were in that book.
and it wasn't the conservatives that forced that divine right to rule over whatever they chose to from the kings and queens.
It wasn't conservatives that dumped a shipload of tea into the boston harbor... or came up with the democratic form of gov't we have.
no, the very nature of conservatives are to cling to the past, to that which is traditional, the hold the power structures that are in place, or maybe even desire to return to previous power structures that often times offered less freedom to a smaller portion of the population.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: dawnstar

so, you are saying that today's kids could have the lost libraries of atlantis to play in and they would be more inclined to riot and burn the thing down to the ground and walk away knowing nothing about the knowledge that was held within?
ya, I am sure there are some kids like that...

Kids in general, and "liberal" adults.

Dont blame his comments on liberals. His opponent summed it up nicely and she us a liberal.

"I think this is just another example of Andrew Cuomo trying to figure out what a progressive sounds like and missing by a mile," Cynthia Nixon.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
He'll get a pass for being a democrat and part of #TheResistance.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well it is the hip thing to do now. Everyone on the left hates America but refuses to leave including the little Mussolini running NY. He hates personal gun ownership but rolls with 10 troopers armed to the hilt. He would love to march anyone that doesn't agree with him into the showers. He is a true dictator in the making so ya, he hates America.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Nyiah

If you're a Nu-Nazi and only obsess about gender studies and oppression Olympics, then sure, you've got me.

Ok, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Pick a year in history before you were born. Any year, just one that appeals most to you in terms of what made it great.

Now ask yourself if you'd really be willing to go back in time and live in it as it was. Not cherry-pick some romanticized appealing notions from it while ignoring everything dark. You have to be willing to acknowledge the good AND the bad of it. Just humor me, you'll get the point after you come up with a year that appeals.

Personally, I enjoy the old-timey notion of a stay-at-home parent actually staying home & parenting the children instead of dumping them off at daycare or after-school care or a relative's to go to work.
I'm not fond of the concept of a dual-income household (dual income, not single parent, different ball of wax) because it takes time from raising the kids yourself and has others to do that for you. What is the point of being a parent if you're paying someone else to do it for you the bulk of the day?
I think I've made my opinion on this particular subject perfectly clear on here many times, so we'll stop and not go off on a tangent.

My point is, that while let's say the 50's were an ideal time period for that kind of stay-at-home lifestyle, I'd prefer to stay in the 21st century and not go back in time 60 years to live it. Those appealing notions aside, it's the general treatment of other people at the time that I'm not willing to live with just to be a cozy SAH parent. 1950 was a great era, for certain people. For many others, it sucked ass. We don't need to relive that, it wasn't putting the G in MAGA at all.

We don't need to go back to ANY past era in our history and live exactly the same today. We can grow the f# up and borrow from some of the brighter social aspects of past decades, like prioritizing actually raising what you birth, into the present. Borrow from. Hell, even in the 50's, there was expectations of what wives should put up with that we do not put up with today, such as spousal abuse being completely acceptable (that does NOT apply today)

We don't need to go back in time to "MAGA", because there was no singular time that it was fantabulously great. There are always some ways of doing things in bygone eras that we can adapt for today, though. There is no "Again", but there is potential for a "From Here Out".

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The truth is, America is not great. Never has been, but it's been close. America had a strong middle class, building up from WWII until Ronald Reagan became President. That was America at its best, but even then it excluded a lot of people, mainly people of color and lower class people. Today, things are actually worse. Rights of citizens have been pummeled as the wealthy have taken over the democratic process and rule of land. And our once strong middle class is being decimated. Look at any metric compared to other developed nations and America ranks at the bottom or near. Okay, that's not exactly true. We have far more prisons and prisoners that anyone else. We have a far larger military than anyone else. We consume more resources than anyone else. See the pattern? Things like education, healthcare, infrastructure, life / work balance... we're not even close to number one. The point is, America is not doing as well as it was in the 1970s, thus it can do much better. But that's not going to happen as long as America continues to invest mainly in corporate profits for short-term gain while ignoring the needs of the people. It's just that simple.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: tabularosa

Very well put. As long as corporations remain in control things will not get better.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

Your the snowflake, i answered the post. Dont get mad at me because America sucked if you werent white.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Poor Andrew . Liar , Liar , Pants On Fire . His Old Man must be Slapping his Forehead somewhere in Hell Right Now.........

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join