It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bezos will be a trillionaire by 2025

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: CanadianMason
a reply to: notsure1

I try to buy local as much as possible. My father's business failed because of the big box stores coming into town. It's a real shame. How to fight back?

I wish I knew.

All i got is just try and convince people to every now and then go make someones day and buy something from them..

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I wonder who the first triollionaires were / are. The truly smart ones that remained out of view, to better horde all the loot.

Sounds like 2025 is the year that every other possible online and local retailer / seller of anything 'new' has been put off of business.

originally posted by: Guyfriday

It just shows people that in America anyone can do whatever their dreams let them.

So everybody gets to be a trillionaire, RIGHT????

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I think small business is killing small business. I know I'll get slammed for saying this, but I have seen many small businesses fall short for no other reason than not reworking their business model (if they have one) when things are not working. This isn't a new thing, and it doesn't just affect small business either look at Toy's R Us. Many people who start up a business don't go into it realizing what is required to keep the business going. They may know and understand the operations and administrations of running a business, but not everyone understands the sacrifice that's needed to get one running for a long term. Some people do and those people are successful at doing it, but even at that if they don't change their business model to work with the times, then it's just as bad as not understanding what they are doing going into their business.

a reply to: TruthJava

It's a good critique of issues Amazon has, so I'm not going to get into that. Every business has issues, and the bigger the business the bigger the issue appear to be. Bezos lack of leadership skills shows, but not as badly as Steve Jobs, and not many bad mouth him. Dale Carnegie also was a shady kind of guy when it came to how he treated his people at first, it wasn't until later on in business that it clicked that the people underneath him made him who he was. Bezos, Zuckerberg, and other "New Money" people haven't figured that out for themselves yet, and they are too into themselves to understand the importance of learning the lessons of those who came before themselves. They will and like the tycoons of yesteryear, will treat those that support them better.

As to the not being able to follow your dreams in America; well it's a complicated thing sometimes that I've have to coach people on in the past. I won't get in to details here (PM me if it's that important as to the why's and how comes), but I strongly believe that people can do what they want they just need to think it all out correctly (that's just my opinion though)

edit on 13-8-2018 by Guyfriday because: Removed a wierd typo

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

yes lets look at Toys R us. Bezos single handedly put them out of business..

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I wonder who the first triollionaires were / are. The truly smart ones that remained out of view, to better horde all the loot.

Sounds like 2025 is the year that every other possible online and local retailer / seller of anything 'new' has been put off of business.

It just shows people that in America anyone can do whatever their dreams let them.

So everybody gets to be a trillionaire, RIGHT????

It's possible, but look at things realistically; Do you really understand what that means, and do you really want that? many people think money equals power, but that's not true look at Hugh Heffner. He was barely a millionaire (and even that took a long time for him to gain), what he had was importance to those around him, a life style he liked, and most importantly a job he not only ran but also enjoyed doing. Sure I could use other examples but I think Hugh Heffner is a great example of following your dreams and making them come true. If you ignore the "smut" label, and just review the man and how he did business you'll see what it means to have your dreams. Being a trillionaire is just a bonus to people who follow their dreams, and not a realistic end goal on to itself.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

One man could end world poverty and eradicate disease, he could do it single handed... .

And still be a billionaire

Yep, from what I gather it becomes a matter of power and not wealth for these kinds of people.

Good for him for being so financially successful, I would think though at some point there is a need to give back ,especially to the people who helped him to where he is.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Oh, you know, you're right. I miss interpreted.
We should shop elsewhere.

See ,I have complained about this system that makes a few rich while the rest of us struggle for ages. The usual reply I get, for this is the reply, shop elsewhere. As if that would solve the problems.

Shop else where has for decades and decades been a standard reply from those who want to hear no criticism of capitalism, just ship your business elsewhere. That was what I thought you were saying and I see now that you were not.

So yes, in that picture I agee fully, buy local support local enterprise, boycott the big chains and mega companies. Yeah, I get it, I always have.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I'm sure we could find more if we tried a bit.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   

yes lets look at Toys R us. Bezos single handedly put them out of business..

Toy's R Us never changed it's business model it had it the 1980's. They depended highly on the marketing of toys to kids through cartoons and Saturday morning tv content. When that started to die off in the 1990's, Toy's R Us decided to get investors to back them instead of reworking their business model. It was even worse for them in the 2000's when instead of jumping into web based marketing they continued to stay with their business model from the 1980's.

Bezos didn't help them, but Toy's R Us could have been more active in heading off Amazon when they were still a small threat. Even toward that end when Toy's R Us did jump on the web bandwagon, instead of partnering with Amazon, they decided to do their own thing without understanding what they were doing. So yep Toy's R Us killed Toy's R Us.

edit on 13-8-2018 by Guyfriday because: Removed a wierd typo

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   

One man could end world poverty and eradicate disease, he could do it single handed... .

And still be a billionaire

Yep, from what I gather it becomes a matter of power and not wealth for these kinds of people.

Good for him for being so financially successful, I would think though at some point there is a need to give back ,especially to the people who helped him to where he is.

Yes, one would think. Actually many have for years. Thinking that allowing the money to flow into the hands of the upper tiers of the economy would come raining back down when they ''give back''. But they hardly do. This is a problem of trickle down economy, they don't let it trickle down, they keep it and spend it on themselves. And get richer and richer.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

No...I"m pretty sure it"s just money. The only value it has is the trust we put in it...

The equation Money=Power is pretty easily made but incorrect.

It"s all just a circusshow. We think the people with the most money have the best seats...they are just as much part of the show as you and I.

Peace

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Everyone cant be trillionaires.

Bezos, Amazon, left unchecked means few will become billionaiees beyond that point, especially in any business that involves selling pretty much anything,

And the human dream of people being empowered by the internet to start their own businesses from home selling anything, well Amazon has effectively already controlled demolition that dream once and for all.

By 2030 people having the dream to be able to go get a an entry level job low paying minion job involved in selling or shipping anything to anyone will be crushed too. Amazons own employees 99% done away with by automated robots / self driving cars, every store out there besides Walmart gone forever, any attempts to sell almost anything besides the oddest or oldest noverty niche collectibles sorts, the dream of being able to sell something you have but dont need or want anymore, and it not be such an embarrassing firesale of a price that its a completely pointless effort... well that day is coming too.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

Yeah, the mud on the ground looks totally the same up in the top of the ivory tower as it does down here on the ground. For sures!

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Much of Bezos net worth is made up of his stock in Amazon. As the value of that stock increases, so does his valuation. He's not being paid that obscene sum of money as part of his salary.

As far as the death of local small businesses, this has been happening for may years. Before Amazon became the big bad wolf, Walmart held that position.

Walmart drove out so many small businesses that the entire purchasing landscape changed in many small communities. A Walmart would open in the local area; selling products at unbelievably low prices; and drive many small stores out of business. A few years later a Super Walmart opens 20 minutes away, closing the smaller local Walmart in the process. Now you have to make this annoying trip halfway across the county to buy things that you could once purchase from a store that was within walking distance.

Now along comes Amazon. You can order anything you want and have it in a couple of days. So now the rest of the stores who sell unique products, not readily available from Walmart, are negatively affected because their wares can be purchased a lot cheaper through Amazon.

In any event it's not completely accurate to say that Amazon is the only bad guy here.

For my part I prefer to buy locally. Even if the products is significantly more expensive. I have this thing about putting my hands on the items I buy, before I put the money down. It's not unusual for me to simply not purchase a product at all if I can't buy it from a local store.

-dex

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Well that all depends on what you value, I like mud!

Peace

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: CanadianMason

Still buy local but as your family experienced sadly it doesn't always help everyone along the way. The net will always have more, as the more accessible sites will have the better selection and or for the buyer a better deal that shows up at their door. That as opposed for calling, looking for and or traveling to buy the specific item.

I was put off from buying more on Amazon due to being a rat bitten product that was past it's due date to work properly. I contacted the seller that was part of Amazon Prime, they told me Amazon was solely responsible for packing it. If prime packing HQ employees are encouraged to package old, damaged and returned items through Prime, that's a pretty tough situation. Couldn't imagine what they go through fully as employees, have read the articles on it, and it's not right.

Continued as I believe my reply below will relate to possible solutions...

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Trickle down is nothing but a big con, the way things are going is not sustainable, the cracks are already showing.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:28 AM
link   

I think small business is killing small business. I know I'll get slammed for saying this, but I have seen many small businesses fall short for no other reason than not reworking their business model (if they have one) when things are not working. This isn't a new thing, and it doesn't just affect small business either look at Toy's R Us. Many people who start up a business don't go into it realizing what is required to keep the business going. They may know and understand the operations and administrations of running a business, but not everyone understands the sacrifice that's needed to get one running for a long term. Some people do and those people are successful at doing it, but even at that if they don't change their business model to work with the times, then it's just as bad as not understanding what they are doing going into their business.

I believe that's a fair point and what I was going to point out. Business models need to adapt with the times, bookstores, there's one major chain left I believe mostly in malls. Hastings closing was disappointing, despite it offering more than books, though I had seen sections of the store decline over the years.

There's about one Blockbuster left in Alaska(needing more rentals than other places of course due to isolation), what replaced that was RedBox and Net Services. Either go web(albeit have hard time competing with the big net models) or take on a whole other model of business.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I get so tired of listening to people complaining about someone making too much money. Bezos makes what he makes because people buy from him, which means he is giving good value for their money. He pays wages based on what the market allows... and it's worth pointing out that $28k/year is about $14 an hour... not far from that $15 goal I keep hearing from the financially suicidal.

Look, if you don't like buying from people with money, buy from people who don't have money. It's that damn simple. It's not a race, and certainly not the kind of race where you can get ahead by trying to trip up your opponent. That attitude is why the economy has had so much trouble in recent years.

There's only one person whose finances I care a heartbroken hoot about: MINE! I don't have a dog in the race when it comes to anyone else's. Maybe if someone takes from me unfairly, but not because they're somehow 'beating' me. All that does is keep me from advancing, and I plan on advancing whenever I can. And guess what... when and if I do get to a nice comfortable income, I don't want everyone who makes less than me complaining about it!

So I plan on still shopping from Amazon. Why? Because I get great value for my money, a much better selection of products than I can get around here, good customer service, and fast delivery. Those complaining can boycott all they want; I'm doing what's best for me.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Personally I'm quite worried about how much wealth and power some of these big corporations have.
They are slowly creating monopolies for themselves, hiding their corporate names behind their brand names. A good example of this is how Innocent Smoothies are owned by Coca Cola (not so innocent now are they!). This is happening in most sectors.

As for Amazon specifically, I recognize they do provide an excellent service, employ many people, provide us with cheaper goods, and are sometimes just more convenient to use. However they are unfortunately just like most big corporations, highly immoral.

They literally spend more money lobbying our government than they pay in taxes, they have negative employee working conditions and as discussed already, they are destroying small and medium businesses.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join