It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any tree recognition experts here?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy
Depending on the species, you can generally store the seeds in your fridge to simulate the dormant cycle.

I studied Forestry in College and worked with a few cool projects. One was the Ozark Chinquapin oak. We raised them in the school's nursery every year as a fundraiser.
ozarkchinquapinmembership.org...

Every year I plant more native species on my property. This year we planted 50 Asimina Triloba (PawPaw trees). It is similar to a banana in shape and texture, but it tastes like custard.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul
Cheers man

There are sheltered areas here and none have died so far, my oldest is 11 years old now, she's near one which is maybe 400 years old in my estimate.
I plant them during winter, in spots surrounded in clearings of thick brush which is maybe5-6 foot high, they are hardy trees once established and adapt well.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS
Ah cool story man

I love that you took seeds from your tree and now have the third generation, Id never heard of them before will go search now.
It's mad what trees can do with a bit of human help.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

you're awesome, how thoughtful.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Your welcome, I’ve had a fondness for trees for as long as I can remember. Keep up the good work.

link   

If you find any, they should still have the seed pods on them; flowering is over now for the most part.

The seeds are awesome tiny; you don't have to do anything special to plant them. I plant them in Miracle grow potting soil in a little paper cup; any "Dixie" Cup will do. Keep the planted seeds moist and they should sprout in 10 to 15 days or so. After that? All you need is sunlight and water, (not too much) and your off! Note: in the wild, they don't "tree" they "bush". You have to tie them up and prune to make a tree.

link   
a reply to: abago71
You know, I had a Doh! moment the other week explaining how pleased I was that we had a cold winter this year for my acorns and my mate said immediately " Why didn't you put them in the freezer?" I felt like such an idiot haha!
50 trees? You'll have your own forest, I'd love that but sadly land in my parts is super expensive so I shall be getting around 10 acres or so of plain grassland which I will have to transform into my own woodland over time.

edit on 30-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

This may be some grape specie. To understand better we need more pictures. If the upper part is more like climbing liane, then this is grape.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SaddledMummy
No definitely not grape in my parts, as Kandinsky suggested it is likely Sycamore, but there are none within miles from me so how it's 'helicopter' seed pod got to my garden in the middle of my spling nursery is a mystery.
Maybe birds eat their seeds and flew over randomly pooing it out in my little grove.

edit on 30-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Started to growing my first grape this year and the leaves is exactly same shape as like Your pic. But yea, don't know how sycamore looks like

Now Y need to plant this sprout in garden and wait next year to see - this is exciting thing to do.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Ah good luck!
It's exciting isn't it nurturing our green babies. When I eventually get my land big enough I will have so many different food bearing plants ready to go straight into the ground, my yard is a nursery of pots until then though haha.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Thanks for the replies folks

Definitely not a Maple in these parts, I'd love to bonsai one though!
@OtherSideOfTheCoin Haha, no I wear a local council high viz vest and do it in plain sight in the daylight, nothing so exotic as ninja planting!

oh dude you should definitely go ninja style. wait till the witching hour. get one of those black body suits so to not be recognized and plant away.

that would be so bad ass

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Does anyone have any favourite trees or even a single tree you love for a reason?
I have lots in my area but the English Oaks are my favourite, one over a thousand years old, I often sit under it and wonder what it could say if it could talk, how many people have been hanged from it, how many people have kissed and fallen in love under it's branches...

I live in Central Florida where shade is a necessity, as the summers seem to get hotter and longer each year, and I love all my trees -
- 6 oaks and a maple tree, all of various ages - one favorite is a very mature oak in the back yard it's probably a couple hundred years old (we actually considered it one of the 'selling points' when we bought the house)...

...my other favorite is actually two oak trees that started out as acorns that fell into one of my flower containers and sprouted, by the time I got around to pulling them out, they were about a foot tall, so I planted them in an empty spot in the back yard -

- I thought it would be interesting to wind the saplings around each other and see what would happen, but I didn't realize until 'they' had been growing a couple years that it was actually two different species of oak tree, so now (ten years later) it's intriguingly odd looking, as the trunks have started growing into each other, and it has two different shapes of leaves...

I really love it, though have to admit that sometimes I feel a bit guilty (sort of evil scientist, like), because it actually is a bit of a 'franken'tree...

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I was totally going to do that a couple months ago!!

Someone gave my husband a little pine tree sapling as an "Earth Day" gift, but he wouldn't let me plant it in the yard, because they grow really tall and then drip sap all over the place -

- so I temporarily planted it in a pot, planning that once it was established I would 'stealth plant' it somewhere in the neighborhood, so I could watch it grow up...

...unfortunately, we had to go on vacation right after that and it died while we were gone

edit on 30-7-2018 by lostgirl because: spacingg

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
Haha! I use the 'borrowed' local authority logo'd high viz vest as a disguise because nobody questions anything, hiding in plain site if you like, but you and OSOTC have inspired me now.
There is a roundabout in the center of town on the busiest main road next to CCTV cameras and it has flowers and shrubbery with areas of plain grass on it. I'll choose one, dig out a nice circle as if it is supposed to be there and plant one dressed in blackon a secret mission.

I'll get my son to come with me, he's up for a laugh like that, and he can take some pictures I'll post on ATS haha.
Yes, plan, won't be until winter though, I'll even install plastic grass edging around it so in Spring/Summer when the council worker goes to strim the grass he'll think it was planted by them and be careful not to damage it.
Thanks for twisting my arm!!

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Maybe i can send You my acrons? One eastern european common species, i have 2 oaks in my garden, aged about 60 years and full of acrons, so every summer i just mowing them sprouts like weeds.

Is the 1 kg enough
? Has not checked how this year great drought (three months without rain atm) impact trees fertility, but few kilograms sure i can collect for You.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostgirl
I thought it would be interesting to wind the saplings around each other and see what would happen, but I didn't realize until 'they' had been growing a couple years that it was actually two different species of oak tree, so now (ten years later) it's intriguingly odd looking, as the trunks have started growing into each other, and it has two different shapes of leaves...

I really love it, though have to admit that sometimes I feel a bit guilty (sort of evil scientist, like), because it actually is a bit of a 'franken'tree...
What a fantastic idea, I would never have thought about doing that, I bet it look cool as, can you get a picture up of it please I'd love to see it/them.

Trees are amazing how they can adapt to change, they will have (if not already) a symbiotic relationship now and when mature the amount of other things scratching out a life in them will be yuge!

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

We currently have Almonds, Black Walnuts, English Walnuts, Hazelnuts and Pecans. Fruit trees we have Apple, Pear, Peach, Apricot, Plums, Cherry, PawPaw and Persimmon. Berries we have Elderberry, Gooseberry, currants, blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry and grapes.

I am probably missing a few. It's hard to keep up.

We are actually selling our farm. We can't keep up with it physically anymore. Trees are getting neglected.
So we are selling out and we plan to travel full time.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Oh thank you but I think both of our countries either ban or heavily restrict the import export of our seeds and plants for 'contamination' reasons, big penalties etc.
A dear friend wants a bonsai tree from me and am nurturing one for her but I'm going to have to check big time because if they detect it with their organic materials scanner then you're busted and fined!

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: abago71
Oh wow, I am so jealous...thou shalt not covet thy neighbous plants...thou shalt not covet thy neighbous plants...thou shalt not covet thy neighbous plants lol
Sounds like you've been living the dream and are chasing a new dream, enjoy!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join