It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any tree recognition experts here?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
That was a beautiful read 💜
You sum up my exact thoughts about how my big old favourite oak would speak if he could, thank you!
Our old oak has watched my son grow up from his first picnics there under the shade, to climbing his branches throughout childhood, and probably will see my son with his own child at picnics there in the future 😊

EDIT
I say 'our' tree but he's on public land, alone in the middle of a green meadow by the sea, he's everyone's tree and has been for a thousand years.
I often imagine the company of humans helps keep him alive.

edit on 30-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Sounds like a beautiful place and tree. Do you have any pics?

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I haven't but I'm not working tomorrow/today (lol its 4 am and I'm still awake) so I'll walk down and take some pics. It's my favourite local tree, have you got a favourite in your area?

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Looking forward to seeing the pics! I see you are a night owl like myself. LOL

I love maple trees in the Autumn with their colorful splendor. I love flowering trees, I love trees, all trees. ❤

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Long crazy story me not getting any sleep tonight lol

We only have one type of Maple in the UK they are lovely trees. I'd love to see the Great Redwoods in America, one day maybe.
And yes, I know what you mean, ALL trees are amazing! Most main streets and even residential (like mine) in my town are tree lined with many over 200 years old. Every now and then someone driving too fast crashes into one and dies with the cars absolutely ruined but the tree going 'meh' and carrying on doing it's thing unaffected. Of course relatives of the deceased always campaign they should be cut down but citizen power always wins the day.
When I visit towns with few or no trees they seem soulless places where I would never want to live.

EDIT
We have a few Yew trees in the UK between 3000 and possibly 9000 years old can you imagine that. I keep meaning to do a tour one day to visit some, but procrastination n all, one day lol.
Hard for me to comprehend a tree living for such a long time, trees so old they were alive when there was no North Sea and Britain was still connected to Europe so you could walk across!

edit on 31-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   
CONFIRMED
The young pretender who sneaked into my little grove of Oak saplings is a Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus)

They can grow to 35 metres, and live for 400 years, not native to Britain they were introduced in the 1500's so none of the originals are still standing.

They make a nice mature bonsai...

Ooh, I don't know what to do with mine now, plant wild and 'run free little one' or bonsai? I've got a couple of years to decide so I'll just nurture her for now

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   
You can also make sycamore sap wine. Like birch sap, but (er) using sycamores. My parents have a specimen tree in their garden from which wine was produced many years ago.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Ooh that's interesting. I wonder if that influenced them being imported 700 years ago.
I want to try now, presumably the tree suffers no ill effects, I don't imagine I'll live long enough to make some from my new little tree but I guess it depends on how mature they need to be.
Gonna google that now, cheers.

EDIT
I've found loads of info, and it is easy, you can even drink the sap neat and apparently it's lovely. Any tree with a diameter of at least 12 inches, and 5 litres a year is good to go per tree end of March (ish) time.
I'm gonna find me some sycamores and ask the landowners for next March, even offer some labouring work as an exchange.
Nice one paraphi

How to tap sap from a Sycamore tree
edit on 31-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
...years ago I picked apples and got over 200 seeds. (It made a marvelous cider, btw.)

Then I started germinating 50 a year, end up with 45 or so. The first year I planted them on the property.

The next three years I took year old trees and started planting them wherever we hiked.

Hey Lumenari, unfortunately You can not grow apple trees from the seeds - this is not the same strain then, maybe only, if You pollinate them for hand and made this in laboratory.

Mean, each seed is a mixture of different pollen and you get then 50 not similar trees, some nearly as original but some totally different.

For better grammar, copyied from internet: "Apples do not reproduce true to type, meaning that the tree from the seed will produce apples that are almost certain to be different than the parent. You can have fun and experiment, but don't expect to have the same fruit."

If You wanna do right, you have to learn to grafting apple trees. After 2-4 years or so you can sold them or guerilla plant these ca 2 meter tall youngsters.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I showed my landscaping husband and he said Sycamore leaf. I myself would have said at first glance maple but as I look the leaves aren't the right shape.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I brought a started avocado tree from my sister's home. It wasn't doing well (she had it in the house) and she felt that they could not care for it anymore and wanted me to take it home and see what happened.
It has already (within 2 weeks) developed new growth and if I can remember, I will take a pic when I get home tonight

I was quite disappointed when I researched and found that it will likely never grow avocados that I am accustomed to seeing/eating if it even produces at all.
Oh well, it will be fun either way.

Good luck to you and your mini forest!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SaddledMummy

These self-pollinate and are not a hybrid.

So yes, some fruit that are cross-pollinated will produce a cross between the two trees.

You can tell the cross-pollinated fruit by the color of their flesh. Genius idea, really.

The 5 year trees I have grown all have pink parfait flesh... red or red-white.

So I think I'm doing good.

edit on 31-7-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Ah maybe it needs another avocado tree to pollinate with? I wouldn't know, probably wouldn't grow at all in Britain at all lol
What's it need to fruit? Free avocados every year would be fantastic!

My lil forest is thriving thanks 😊
My babies lol, only one seems to be struggling so she's in quarantine just in case haha

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

It could be liquid Amber, do they grow around where you live ?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It's confirmed Sycamore tree, but I've never heard of liquid Amber, I'll have search to one of them

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

It's hard to tell with such a young leaf, but I can go with it, sycamore it is...

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Now just to decide what I'll do with it when it grows up a little, I think I'll find a nice big pot and hang on to it for a few years in the yard. It found me, not like the acorns, I found them, so I'll let it stay a while.

Here's an interesting minute about one of Britain's oldest trees...

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I've read about that tree before, it's amazing, and now changing its sex after 5000 years..!

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I blame the oesstrogen in the water

seriously though it is pretty mad after 5000 years alive being male.
I''d love to visit at berry time and try to grow some myself if it's allowed, or if I got home realised a berry accidentally fell into my pocket.
...after all those years as a bloke it probably got boring and she decided a change.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
For anyone interested these are two trees I walk past most days in town. We have big old horse chestnuts lining all the streets but these two are curiously the odd ones out. I think the first one is a Scots pine, and the second some other sort of pine but it's bark is different.
I couldn't imagine living in say a city with little or no mature trees, they make me smile every day, surrounded by lush green life, and these two especially...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join