It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally Cut the Cable TV Off

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It feels so liberating !

Didn't watch it much anymore and used the firestick, Roku and chromecast more.

Cable TV was costing me $85 a month, internet about $40. I expect that to go up.

In the process of exploring more options with the devices I have.

Any helpful hints on apps and such?

Thanks and as always,

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Oh no, how will you get to watch the "news" and see what all the important people ("celebrities") are doing.

I'm calling the CNN hotline and reporting you as runaway.
edit on 19-7-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Smart move... cable is a redundant service anymore.

I use Netflix, but someone else's log in... it keeps a separate log of shows I watch as if I am signing in my own account.

Between the free content on Amazon Prime, Netflix, and a Firestick there is really no need to ever go back to cable... unless one thoroughly enjoys paying 80 a month for commercials. Hell... you'd think subscribers would get paid $80 to sit through ads non stop???

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Cable TV was costing me $85 a month, internet about $40

Is that all ?
What company were you using ?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Beat you by two years.
But welcome to the club.
I tried watching a show on antenna tv, "welfare five", and couldn't finish it because of commercials. Man after you get rid of commercials they are impossible to tolerate.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
On Roku, I get Philo, the cheap package, for $16 / monthly.
It's got the 'good' channels for that price....

Here's a free (no CC required) 7 day Trial:
Philo 7 Day Trial

free image sharing

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Sorry, cant figure how to post pic

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot
It feels so liberating !

Didn't watch it much anymore and used the firestick, Roku and chromecast more.

Cable TV was costing me $85 a month, internet about $40. I expect that to go up.

In the process of exploring more options with the devices I have.

Any helpful hints on apps and such?

Thanks and as always,

I've basically stopped watching TV for the most part. When I do, it is usually Amazon Prime. The only reason I even keep cable now is because of the wife and Game of Thrones.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
We get eleven channels over the air. I have to go buy two new antennas tomorrow because the old one got damaged when we redid the roof. I am buying two smaller directional antennas to hook up in parallel to shoot in two different directions.

We also have a Ruku for the TV

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

When you get home from work tomorrow you will have to explore the Sling TV I just put on the Roku and the Firestick! The Blue package had all of the channels that we still watch for $24.99 a month. That's a heck of a lot better than $85!

See you in the morning sleepy head!
edit on 19-7-2018 by GeauxHomeYoureDrunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I've basically stopped watching TV for the most part. When I do, it is usually Amazon Prime. The only reason I even keep cable now is because of the wife and Game of Thrones.

If you have Amazon Prime you can subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc. ala carte on there. HBO is $14.99 per month after 7 day free trial. When the final season of GOT comes on next year I'll subscribe long enough to watch the season and then cancel it.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Surely, the next step is to dump the TV. That's the liberation.

Not sure how good radio is in the USA, but I guess you could do internet radio. In the UK we have quite a diverse radio landscape, so that suits.

For the record I (we) have not dumped the TV, but tend to use it for films and documentaries. Its not a central part of life. Perhaps that's the "next step" - don't let TV rule you.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Tv streams now. You will thank me later.. It is what set TV was..

25 bucks a month for over 500 channels hi def .. adult channels, all the sports packages, all the movie channels.

in demand with movies and tv shows.No contracts.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   
If you want a good free app for the fire stick. Have you tried MOBDRO?

Its a pretty good little app , it has a bunch of tv shows just playing on a loop from the pilot to the finale.

they also have quite a few movies channels.

I like to use it and have King of the Hill or Seinfeld on as background noise...

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Take a watercoloring class with some of that time and money you're saving. (If you're into that sorta thing.) Good on you for ditching cable.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Makes sense. I don't watch network TV outside of football season. I mostly stream stuff now. I can watch what I want on my time. Not when they broadcast shows.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Welcome to the cable-free club. For me it's coming up on 26 years and I've never missed it. People still look about the house and are astonished that there's no tv on the first floor. There is one in the guest quarters on the second floor but hooked up to an antenna. Don't think it's been turned on in several years now so I don't even know if it works.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Oh no, how will you get to watch the "news" and see what all the important people ("celebrities") are doing. I'm calling the CNN hotline and reporting you as runaway. edit on 19-7-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

Oh my, like I ever watched that crap before. LOL !

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttobban

Smart move... cable is a redundant service anymore.

I use Netflix, but someone else's log in... it keeps a separate log of shows I watch as if I am signing in my own account.

Between the free content on Amazon Prime, Netflix, and a Firestick there is really no need to ever go back to cable... unless one thoroughly enjoys paying 80 a month for commercials. Hell... you'd think subscribers would get paid $80 to sit through ads non stop???

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Just got Steam TV live and it's awesome !

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Tv streams now. You will thank me later.. It is what set TV was..

25 bucks a month for over 500 channels hi def .. adult channels, all the sports packages, all the movie channels.

in demand with movies and tv shows.No contracts.

Thank you for the info. Got it set up now and love it !

top topics

<<   2 >>

join