It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alison Moyet faces Twitter backlash for saying she prefers woman to cis-woman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Alison Moyet has faced a torrent of nasty abuse following her recent tweet on Twitter.

‘I defend everyone’s right to have the pronoun that they choose and will honour it. I do not choose Cis for mine. It took women like me long enough to own the title “woman” in the first place. It’s a long enough word for me

She was mocked. She had her grammar ridiculed and was told cis isn't a pronoun. She was also accused of stoking hate towards trans people. She defended her innocent tweet but in the end decided to delete it.

‘Ok. people. You win. I get that I’m reprehensible for not liking a word. I understand this now means I don’t get to sit with you all at lunch and yes, I am a wanker because I can’t do grammar. Thank you for showing me a better way. I delete.’.

Ok Peeps. I’ve had a reckless time brutally dismantling the ecosystem, and egregiously offending a whole community illiterately.I’ve used up this months twitter tokens.I’m sorry I won’t be here to reply to either kindnesses,bile or reason. Go well,my beauties.X

Moyet has supported the LGBT community for decades appearing at UK Pride events. In fact she headlined the main stage at the 2013 Pride event in Brighton. I completely get what Alison is saying and I agree with her.

What is it with these gender-activists. If you want people to acknowledge and use your preferred label then you have to respect what other people identify as and also recognise and accept if they choose not to use labels.

It works both ways.

Alison Moyet's Twitter page

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

meanwhile in the real world...

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

The left likes to present themselves as a unified group. But clearly, they are not.

It's never a good sign when they start railing against their own for the requirement by some that they should all share in the hive mind.

Politics in crisis everywhere.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I don't like the word either.
edit on 12-7-2018 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Transgender activism is misogyny in drag. She's exactly right and deserves no such criticism.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Let's be realistic here. The word "cis" means straight. The LGBT folks wanted to concoct a word to make them feel even more distinguished and legitimate.

This latest spat is a textbook example of why this horsesh!t doesn't work in reality.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I would take less issue with the word if it weren't used as an insult most of the time.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

This is the end result in giving the far left too much power and mainstreaming them. The right has radicals too, no neo-nazi will ever be mainstreamed.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I'm going to counter FB's platform with ButtHurtBook.

All the butthurt miserable asshats in the world are welcome... I'll be a billionaire!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Transgender activism is misogyny in drag. She's exactly right and deserves no such criticism.

lol That is the funniest statement I have read in a few days!

Damn shame a person can't have their own opinion of themselves without being bullied into submission.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I really enjoyed this lady's essay.

Gender is not a spectrum

This desire not to be cis is rational and makes perfect sense, especially if you are female. I too believe my thoughts, feelings, aptitudes and dispositions are far too interesting, well-rounded and complex to simply be a ‘cis woman’. I, too, would like to transcend socially constructed stereotypes about my female body and the assumptions others make about me as a result of it. I, too, would like to be seen as more than just a mother/domestic servant/object of sexual gratification. I, too, would like to be viewed as a human being, a person with a rich and deep inner life of my own, with the potential to be more than what our society currently views as possible for women.

edit on 12/7/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/7/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

What is it with these gender-activists. If you want people to acknowledge and use your preferred label then you have to respect what other people identify as and also recognise and accept if they choose not to use labels.

It works both ways.

You'd think. Look how tolerant they are. They want to be able to label others.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

It's really poetic, but it's sad she doesn't grasp the irony, and is serious about it.

The point is anyone can do that. So comparing it in this way is redundant.

She only makes the trans issue sound watered down, while simultaneously watering down the womans movement again.

Woman ARE equal, until they can conquer that mentality, they are not. SAME ISSUE WITH TRANS. Black men lead the way for the most part in terms of understanding this difference.
edit on 12-7-2018 by KatWouldKillYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Um, when were women not allowed to call themselves women?

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

she's offended adding 'cis' makes it 'too long' and that thus makes it 'offensive'. You know, because 'woman' is already longer than 'man' in her world of oppression, where even the name of her gender is a hindrance because of length.(In comparison to "Transgender" xD) And so when you refer to her as a 'cis-woman' she loses it because she is already down 1 step on the ladder of misogyny from the start.

Men are so evil, they make their gender easy and convenient to say by making it 3 letters and everyone else(LOL) is sooooo oppressed!!!!

That is what she is saying.
edit on 12-7-2018 by KatWouldKillYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Call the silly police.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I'll just leave this here.

Feminists Clash with Transgenders at London Pride Parade

Was it Antifa that held up one of the LGBTQ Parades--maybe NYC--after they let them lead it?

edit on 12-7-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Lettuce, guacamole, bacon, tomato, and queso.
The LGBTQ sandwich.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

what the hell is everyone's obsession with "Antifa".. not "everything" or "everyone" is "Antifa"

you guys are so goddamn blinded, it is lunacy...

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX

what the hell is everyone's obsession with "Antifa".. not "everything" or "everyone" is "Antifa"

On reflection that might have been BLM that held up the NYC parade. As far as Antifa: I'm not obsessed I just think that they are masked idiots that are co-opted by sinister forces and too stupid to realize it and/or care.

edit on 12-7-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join