It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so why hate on Harley? cost too much? they're garbage?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: RazorV66

I see your comparison links but I have never looked at anything new other than Harley.
I guess maybe anything new could be bordering on overpriced as far as I am concerned.

i see where you are at but do you see my end?

people say they are overpriced. they. not all new bikes
if they are real close to the price to all the other comparable bikes then they are not overpriced

I got you.
Yeah you are right.

so are you
the way to go is definitely used

i bought a new one because i got a settlement and had a stack of cash.
had i not got that settlement i would never have bought a new one

i just dont think they are overpriced when you compare other manufacturers.

i bought a 97 dyna for 5 grand. loved that bike

last year i had the opportunity to buy an FXR for 4200 and i walked away. kick myself in the ass for that one still.
you dont see the FXR too often. passed it up to buy a tuner car and now i dont have that either

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

a reply to: BigDave-AR

yeah its lame

have to sit in it like a car and use a wheel like a car but have to have a motorcycle license to operate and wear a helmet in those states

whats wrong with a drop top then?

I hope they don’t allow people to take the motorcycle driving test in one of those that could be very deadly when they decide to grow a pair and get a bike...

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I actually made money when I sold the shovelhead I pretty much got it as a throw in on a trade I did and I was able to sell it for a damn good price I made at least $2500 on it.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

the only appeal to those reverse trikes are that you don't need a M1 motorcycle license to ride it, just a standard driver's license.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

yeah its lame

have to sit in it like a car and use a wheel like a car but have to have a motorcycle license to operate and wear a helmet in those states

I hope they don’t allow people to take the motorcycle driving test in one of those that could be very deadly when they decide to grow a pair and get a bike...

dude that motorcycle operator test is #. in no way does it measure a persons ability to operate a legit motorcycle in traffic. at least in my state.
i had never even bothered to get my endorsement until i got the new dyna. i took my test on a small all closed section of the parking lot of the bmv. i took and passed my test on a 1690cc bike.
bunch of dudes taking theirs on 250cc bikes. even smaller than that

right next to the bmv there is a tanning salon. that tanning salon rents scooters for 75 bucks a pop for people to take their test on. scooters as in no clutch. no shifting. like zero cc's.
people were taking tests on those and those 250's and were still putting their feet down.

it was terrible.

i went last so i got to watch everyone. it was a major joke

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Not to be pedantic, but you can also hear them.

what do you think about full face helmets?

i ask because i am not a fan of them.
i feel like it drastically reduces vision and i dont understand why people wear them.

my buddy at work has some 600cc type of deal and even in the summer he wears a leather. big ass gloves and a full face helmet with the shield.
i wear a helmet too. the smallest allowed by DOT but i can not wear the full face helmet.

what about you?

i will also say that i never wore a helmet up until i got the 2015. my wife was up my ass about it so i caved in and got one of these.
www.bikerhelmets.com...

major difference in how i felt. i was so much more relaxed on the bike. i had never even realized i had a little tension about my noodle but i did.

sucks people buy those helmets because of sons of anarchy so i kind of feel like a dick but in the end those helmets are legit man. that is the only kind i will wear.

i had a half shell someone gave me and that thing is massive compared to the one above. much heavier too

If you ride anything other then a 50cc scooter, I'd highly recommend a full face helmet.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: cancerslug

the only appeal to those reverse trikes are that you don't need a M1 motorcycle license to ride it, just a standard driver's license.

different state to state
in my state you need a motorcycle license

link   

At the cost of your dignity

link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

If you ride anything other then a 50cc scooter, I'd highly recommend a full face helmet.

ok
why?
fill me in

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

ok
why?
fill me in

It's to make it easier for the road crew to scrape the brains off the road.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

yeah its lame

dude that motorcycle operator test is #. in no way does it measure a persons ability to operate a legit motorcycle in traffic. at least in my state.
i had never even bothered to get my endorsement until i got the new dyna. i took my test on a small all closed section of the parking lot of the bmv. i took and passed my test on a 1690cc bike.
bunch of dudes taking theirs on 250cc bikes. even smaller than that

right next to the bmv there is a tanning salon. that tanning salon rents scooters for 75 bucks a pop for people to take their test on. scooters as in no clutch. no shifting. like zero cc's.
people were taking tests on those and those 250's and were still putting their feet down.

it was terrible.

i went last so i got to watch everyone. it was a major joke

I do agree that the tests are inadequate and if I were in charge you would have to take the test on a bike with a clutch and 500cc or greater. I’m also a dick and think that if you’re a candy ass and can’t lift your bike if it gets laid down you shouldn’t be allowed to ride. But alas this is why my dictatorship won’t get off the ground level.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
around were i live live the course you take, you have to use their bikes. 250cc honda rebels. a girl dumped her bike twice and still passed

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

ok
why?
fill me in

Hyperbolic much. I had a friend that got killed by by a deer literally leaping of a rock face that was cut through for the road and tackling him off the bike it was not pretty
edit on 6/26/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

around were i live live the course you take, you have to use their bikes. 250cc honda rebels. a girl dumped her bike twice and still passed

yeah its bull#
in ohio there is no helmet law but you have to wear a helmet to even take the test

what is funny is you can take the test on one of those scooters and then jump on your 1700 cc and ride away

i dont have the answer on how to fix it but it is clearly a formality and a way for the state to make money off issuing operator permits.
very clear they are not actually concerned if people can actually operate their motorcycle.

operating it in a parking lot with zero traffic is far different than on the road. people passing. all that #

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

ok
why?
fill me in

the helmets like i posted do a fine job of protecting your head

even though i wear one now i dont think they should be a requirement

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

ok
why?
fill me in

a full face helmet protects the chin an open face helmet does not
if you go on "gaijinriders" we have a video about helmets, I don't have the link handy but do a search or later I'll try to find it. A very good video about safety.
I've owned 3 bikes and now on my 2nd scooter here and I recently bought a full face helmet (again) for riding the scooter.

www.gaijinriders.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I was being serious.
I know several people that have died on motorcycles and the one that hit a tree had his head pretty much liquified in his helmet.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

fair enough
thanks for answering

i wont be wearing one of those

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

, cars, bikes whatever. Some people just enjoy driving and riding, and have to live with the attention their choice brings.

I get that. We hired a convertible in Europe a few years ago. 3 years ago it was time to replace the family car and we decided a BMW Z4.
Always was against moving rooftops. "they leak" etc
These were ideas ingrained by perceptions over time. Once behind the wheel and letting the twin turbo rip all logic took a back seat. It helped that they usually retain their value over time. We dont aim to replace it.

The ride is magnificent, without effort have had it to 180kms ( yeah I know no big deal )

Every time I wash it or get under the hood I marvel at the level of German design ingenuity. I was flabbergasted when told they were assembled in the US.

Some good specs but at the end of the day most buying decisions are made on subjective feelings.

We learn't selling life insurance people buy on solutions not features, wants not needs.

Funny thing is thats it a 2013 model and heads still turn. Unwanted attention but I guess it has a design that may not date so quickly. We look at the new Jags from the rear they look like another Hyundai

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I was being serious.
I know several people that have died on motorcycles and the one that hit a tree had his head pretty much liquified in his helmet.

It doesn’t matter what kind of helmet you have if you get nailed by a car at high speed or hit a tree at high speed all you can do is be grateful it will be a quick death. Until they invent airbag leathers were you turn into bubbleboy when you have a collision....
edit on 6/26/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join