It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russia 2018 World Cup Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

The FIFA World Cup finals in Russia open on Thursday 14th June with the hosts Russia taking on Saudi Arabia in Moscow. They are two lowest ranked teams in the competition.

Notable absentees are four times world cup winners - Italy, 3 times runners-up and former European Champions - the Netherlands, Copa América holders - Chile and the hosts of 1994 and coming 2026 competition - USA.

Here is the draw.

World Cup Groups:

Group A: Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
Group B: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
Group C: France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
Group D: Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
Group F: Germany, Sweden, Mexico, South Korea
Group G: Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
Group H: Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Group A

At first glance it looks like Russia, as hosts, have an easier task than some of the other seeds to make it through to the next round. But Egypt and Uruguay will be no pushovers and are higher ranked nations. Beating Saudi Arabia in the opening game is essential to keep the hosts hopes alive. But they could well bow out in the group stage. A fate that only one other host nation South Africa, in 2010, has faced

Group B

Portugal and Spain look favourites to get out of Group B and there is a tasty Iberian ‘derby’ match to look forward to. But the Iranians are a tricky side and if the Portuguese are as slow starting as they were at the Euros in France then their final game with Iran may well be their last one. A lot hinges on how the first game between Spain and Portugal goes.

Group C

The two European sides France and Denmark are definitely favourites here. Australia who still rely on 37 year old Tim Cahill will have to face both those sides in their two opening games and could well be on their way home by the time they face Peru in what could be a dead rubber.

Group D

While this is not quite a ‘group of death’ it could spring a surprise or two.

Argentina, despite having one the world’s finest teams on paper, made hard work of qualifying for Russia. Croatia and Iceland find themselves in the same group again after both making it through the same qualifying group. Croatia are a skilful team and likely to provide a difficult test for others in the group. Nigeria is another nation with a fine football pedigree. This is surely Iceland’s ‘golden generation of footballers’ and the achievement of reaching a World Cup Finals for such a sparsely populated nation is arguably their finest moment. But did they peak at Euro 2016 when they cough, errr beat hmmm another European nation! It will be exciting to find out what happens in a difficult to predict group.

Group E

Brazil will surely, surely win the group? Costa Rica, Switzerland and Serbia will slug it out to see who makes it through with them. The Swiss are slight favourites but don’t rule out Serbia or Costa Rica joining Brazil in the knock-out rounds.

Group F

Germany had a patchy build up to this World Cup but once the tournament starts they tend to get it together. They are World Champions and should dominate the group. Sweden knocked out Italy in the play-offs and should not be under-rated. They will probably challenge Mexico for the other qualifying spot in the group with South Korea being the also-rans here.

Group G

Belgium’s “golden generation” could be dark horses in this tournament but they ‘choked under pressure’ in Euro 2016. An inexperienced England side should make it through with the Belgians. But Tunisia and Panama are fairly unknown quantities at this level. There might be a surprise in store!

Group H

The bookmakers seem to hint any two from Poland, Senegal and Colombia to qualify with Japan making up the numbers. Don’t write anything off in this group.

As the tournament progresses I will update the results and add other information. Please feel free to join in with any comments you have and let’s hope this is a great festival of football.

edit on 13/6/2018 by mirageman because: tidy up

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

hope this is a great festival of football.

Always look forward to the WC, seeing as Scotland were unlucky not to make it (again), I'm cheering on Japan and I think Denmark might surprise. Hope VAR works out and I hope the cheats (such as those who manipulate decisions, like Brazil) get booked for it

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

I'll be keeping my eye on Belgium, they have some of the best names in football atm. I think the Aussies could do pretty good aswell, they have some hidden talent, Rogic has had an exceptional season at Celtic scoring some incredible goals. As for England....hmmmm lol.

I`ll be checking back on thread for results as will miss a lot of games.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Only thing i noticed yet is the lack of everything around this world cup, because it´s in Russia.

I remember the last cups, the time before they started. Documentaries about the stadiums were shown, about all the places, cities, towns where the matches later happened, "our" western media hyped every world more than the one before.

Then the world cup came to Russia. Here in Germany they started some days ago, to report a bit more about the event. And now it feels like if there is a Schützenfest, a marksmen`s fair starting in Buxtehude tomorrow. Everybody knows that the Schützenfest is coming but nobody really cares.

On one side it feels good that there is not such a massive hype(to make profits) this time, but on the other side it feels a bit wrong, knowing that this only happens because this time the world cup takes place in Russia.

Sports should stay sports and silly politics should stay silly politics.
But it seems "our" west loves the cold wars...

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Yep - noticed it too.
It seems like it's being downplayed.

It's strange not to see Italy and The Netherlands in the finals.
As for us, we'll dream of success and hope beyond hope, only to be heart broken again when we get knocked out (probably on penalties).

edit on 13/6/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth
I guess Germany will leave early this time, if not the wonder happens again and they grow with every match to the tournament performers we germans know. But i can´t see it this time, i bet on Spain or Brazil.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Spain have just sacked Lopetegui and replaced him with Fernando Hierro. I wonder how this will affect their preparations for the tournament.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Pffffttttt
I fart in the general direction of your predictions

I can say with 100% certainty that with no sneaky Italians to cheat their way past us in the dying minutes of an elimination game Australia will win this whole thing almost easily. We may have an early hiccup or 2 while our blokes adjust to the round ball but after that we'll absolutely coast it through.

I can guarantee this outcome as Im an Aussie who knows nothing about soccer but I have a really good hunch.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

I can say with 100% certainty that with no sneaky Italians to cheat their way past us in the dying minutes of an elimination game Australia will win this whole thing almost easily.

Yes cheating in sport like those sly Italians. It's just not cricket is it?

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Even as a german i know what is meant.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

there will be no suprises when it comes to the final rounds. spain, french, brasil, germany, argentina. one of them will be champion.

i tink argentina is playing germany in the final. and argentina wins.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

As a former ATS fantasy football winner (couldnt resist) i say its a pity we Irish aren't in it, everyone knows how good our fans are inside and particularly outside the stadiums. Party? Laughter? We just celebrate win lose or draw.
I understand that the Belgium players dont rate Martinez's tactics and game plan too much. Understandable as a lot of the players are managed at club level by managers a lot more successful than he'll ever be. So im not rating their chances.
My pick for the trophy is Brazil. They are so strong in attack, even if they concede they look like they'd go up and get a goal back.

Its only a day away!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Group D, made up of Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria and Iceland, although gives the impression of being the Group of Death, is in fact not a group of death. If you ask me, the toughest group, which features at least three rival contenders, is the Group H with Poland, Senegal, Colombia and Japan.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Russian ultras are going to be a problem......

[MasterClickBaiter[/yvid]
edit on 13-6-2018 by Quadlink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'm hoping for a final between Iran and Saudi Arabia. Now that would be a spectacle. The hate.

In the real world, let's just hope Russian football nutcases don't spoil things, as they can be a tad violent.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Modified by TEOT but

originally posted by: mirageman

World Cup First Round Group Matches:

Thursday
Group A: Russia v Saudi Arabia

Friday
Group A: Russia v Saudi Arabia; Egypt v Uruguay
Group B: Morocco v Iran;______Portugal v Spain

Saturday
Group C: France v Australia; Group D: Argentina v Iceland
Group C: Peru v Denmark;__ Group D: Croatia v Nigeria

Sunday
Group E: Costa Rica v Serbia;_Group F: Germany v Mexico
Group E: Brazil v Switzerland; Group F: Sweden v South Korea

Monday
Group G: Belgium v Panama; Tunisia v England

Tuesday
Group H: Colombia v Japan; Poland v Senegal

All time Western Orthodox (i.e., USA) Oriental, Early game listed first. Please check your local listings for appropriate times as the Googs standardizes me to EST/USA time and not UTC.

Go Iceland!!

edit on 13-6-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: stoopid formatting

edit on 13-6-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: stoopid formatting again!!

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
rooting for Mexico since USA not in

VIVE EL TRI!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Russia 5-0 Saudi Arabia

The Arabs looked very naive in this opener and will probably be back home shortly if they play like that again. Russia however can only beat the opposition in front of them and were incisive and dominant. Both teams will now face sterner tests. But the Russians now give themselves a very decent chance of making it past the group stage. Roll on tomorrow where we have 3 games.

Group A

Egypt v Uruguay

Group B

Morocco v Iran
Portugal v Spain

Check local media for kick off times.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   

From what I seen that was akin to a Div. 1 side playing against a Sunday League side (with hangovers), so bad

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Nvm
edit on 15-6-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: Uruguay headed it in in 89th min

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join