It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's not that the earth is getting warmer, but rather that the wind are getting slower.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
For the purposes of this thread I will be using data from these two sources:
1 Cosmos Magazine
2 Horizon Magazine

From 1;

The wind isn’t what it used to be. Scientists say surface wind speeds across the planet have fallen by as much as 25% since the 1970s. The eerie phenomenon – dubbed ‘stilling’ – is believed to be a consequence of global warming, and may impact everything from agriculture to the liveability of our cities. It has taken more than a decade for scientists to get a handle on stilling, a term coined by Australian National University ecohydrologist Michael Roderick in 2007.

From 2;

Wind speeds around the world seem to be decreasing in a phenomenon known as ‘stilling’ and European scientists are hoping to find out why.
Few people have probably noticed, but the world’s winds are getting slower. It is something that cannot be picked up by watching the billowing of dust or listening to the rustle of leaves on nearby trees.
Instead, it is a phenomenon occurring on a different scale, as the average global wind speed close to the surface of the land decreases. And while it is not affecting the whole earth evenly, the average terrestrial wind speed has decreased by 0.5 kilometres per hour (0.3 miles per hour) every decade, according to data starting in the 1960s.

So why does this matter? Slower wind speed cause storm systems to linger in spots longer causing them to gain strength and intensity. It also means the cold fronts will move slower over areas allowing for longer periods of colder air to ang out in an area (also this clearly means that warmer area of pressure will also hang out in areas too)

One of the assurtions is that global warming has slowed the winds, but the same scientiists have also made statements that reflect on the issue of not really knowing whats causing the issue. My question here is;
"With wind speeds globally slowing down, will governmental agencies finally start to accept that nothing can really be done about the weather, or will they use this as an excuse to fine and fee us for more money?"

***IMPORTANT INFORMATION***

While there is a questionable conspiracy about this situation, it should be noted that wind speeds are in fact causing more unknown issues with the weather then people first thought possible. That's the reason why I placed into this forum the underlying issue is a reflection on scientists not fully knowing what they are saying, but still trying to grasp the full picture of what's going on with our environment.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Deforestation would be a good cause of a decline in ground wind speeds as they are registered. Less bottlenecking.
edit on 11-6-2018 by wakeupstupid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Come to Vegas and try some Ground Speed Wind. When in Mid July at around 115 degrees, it doesn't matter if the wind is strong or non existent. The strong wind just makes it feel like your standing in front of a hair dryer from the Devil himself as your skin starts to melt.

I have a a feeling that isn't really what we're talking about here, but never the less, I persisted.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Idk. Sounds like fake news.

Wind and weather is caused by uneven heat on the surface of the earth, not the other way around.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Bull and crap.

IF global warming was the 'culprit' wind speeds would be magnified, not slowed.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Slower wind speed cause storm systems to linger in spots longer causing them to gain strength and intensity. It also means the cold fronts will move slower over areas allowing for longer periods of colder air to ang out in an area (also this clearly means that warmer area of pressure will also hang out in areas too)
Sort of, but not exactly. You are confusing cause and effect, on several levels. Wind, and the movement of weather systems, is governed by pressure differentials.

But to directly address the fallacious statement quoted above:

You'll note that your source #2 is talking about a weakening of surface winds, the movement of weather systems is governed more by upper level winds than surface winds. That's why you will notice that before a cold front arrives from the northwest, the surface winds will be from the southeast. Surface winds do not govern the movement of frontal systems.

Your source:

Roderick takes a more telescopic view: air movements are powered by differences in temperature at different places. The bigger the difference between warm and cold air, the stronger the wind. One effect of global warming is to flatten those differences. The poles are warming faster than the equator, winters are warming faster than summers, and nights warming faster than days. “Everything becomes more uniform,” Roderick says.

edit on 6/11/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Bull and crap.

Why?

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Safer to wear skirts in public, so that's a bonus.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well princess, time for you to expand your wardrobe...

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

While there may be a relationship, and I appreciate that you are publicizing an often overlooked detail, global warming directly relates to temperature.

Also, as Carl Sagan noted in his thesis on the atmosphere of Venus (runaway greenhose effect) the result of raising the general temperatures of the atmosphere leads to an oscillatory effect where weather moves to wilder extremes. This is until another point of 'atmospheric stability' is reached.

This is bourne out on Earth with observation of changes in storm severity and frequency at the same time the mean temperature rise is observed.

edit on 11/6/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Do we know if the average wind speed is cyclical like global temperatures? I wouldn’t think they could get long term data on wind speeds like they can with temperature.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Wonder if increased particulate matter is slowing the wind, acting as a buffer of sorts.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

1 Cosmos Magazine
2 Horizon Magazine

From 1;

The wind isn’t what it used to be. Scientists say surface wind speeds across the planet have fallen by as much as 25% since the 1970s. The eerie phenomenon – dubbed ‘stilling’ – is believed to be a consequence of global warming, and may impact everything from agriculture to the liveability of our cities. It has taken more than a decade for scientists to get a handle on stilling, a term coined by Australian National University ecohydrologist Michael Roderick in 2007.

From 2;

Wind speeds around the world seem to be decreasing in a phenomenon known as ‘stilling’ and European scientists are hoping to find out why.
Few people have probably noticed, but the world’s winds are getting slower. It is something that cannot be picked up by watching the billowing of dust or listening to the rustle of leaves on nearby trees.
Instead, it is a phenomenon occurring on a different scale, as the average global wind speed close to the surface of the land decreases. And while it is not affecting the whole earth evenly, the average terrestrial wind speed has decreased by 0.5 kilometres per hour (0.3 miles per hour) every decade, according to data starting in the 1960s.

So why does this matter? Slower wind speed cause storm systems to linger in spots longer causing them to gain strength and intensity. It also means the cold fronts will move slower over areas allowing for longer periods of colder air to ang out in an area (also this clearly means that warmer area of pressure will also hang out in areas too)

One of the assurtions is that global warming has slowed the winds, but the same scientiists have also made statements that reflect on the issue of not really knowing whats causing the issue. My question here is;
"With wind speeds globally slowing down, will governmental agencies finally start to accept that nothing can really be done about the weather, or will they use this as an excuse to fine and fee us for more money?"

While there is a questionable conspiracy about this situation, it should be noted that wind speeds are in fact causing more unknown issues with the weather then people first thought possible. That's the reason why I placed into this forum the underlying issue is a reflection on scientists not fully knowing what they are saying, but still trying to grasp the full picture of what's going on with our environment.

I hadn't heard about global 'stilling' so thank you for the information.

It has happened, perhaps, over the same period as mean global warming and could very well be a concurrent condition.

No one has ever said global warming was a single, problem, it is a complex set of changing conditions the only one of which we humans can EASILY control is the burning and release of carbon into the atmosphere.

I find your statement ""With wind speeds globally slowing down, will governmental agencies finally start to accept that nothing can really be done about the weather, or will they use this as an excuse to fine and fee us for more money?"" is of great concern to me - it sounds like your pocket book thickness is more important then a habitable planet for future generations.

On to the conspiracy thinking:

One I believe you are referring to Global Warming specifically Anthropogenic (man-made) Global Warming being a conspiracy to take away your hard earned money.

Second - the geoengineering conspiracy - that may or may not be using your tax dollars to mitagate the acknowledged effects of global warming on life on land, sea and air?

Look up Global Dimming which is also a 'near' concurrent effect of global warming. And other patented weather modification techniques being used as weapons and other unknown reasons.
edit on 11-6-2018 by FyreByrd because: Usage error

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Look up Global Dimming which is also a 'near' concurrent effect of global warming.
Not really.

And other patented weather modification techniques being used as weapons and other unknown reasons.
Such as? But you know that the vast majority of the planet is signatory to the ENMOD treaty?
edit on 6/11/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It's plenty windy here in Austin.
I had a painting I've worked on for a couple of days blown down to the creek.
I'd have to be Spiderman to retrieve it.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

A lessening of average wind speeds does not mean that there are no windy days anymore than an increase in average temperatures means there will be no cold days.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

As Paris Hilton would say "That's hot."

i should add that as soon as I read the title, Slow Ride started playing in my noggin.

edit on 6112018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Bull and crap.

Wind is driven by temperature differential.

Warming is happening more at the poles than elsewhere.

The decline in temperature differential easily meshes with slowing average wind speed.

In fact, weather as we know it will cease to be in the future, as the surface becomes ever closer to uniform in temperature.

The only other possibility would be the rest of the world cooling, while the poles cooled at a slower rate (or warmed) - and that ain't happening.

So, really, this study gives you one conclusion with two (either or both) reasons...

The Earth is becoming more uniform in temperature at the surface, and:
1) The poles are warming at a faster rate than the rest of the Earth.
--or--
2) The rest of the Earth is cooling at a faster rate than the poles.
edit on 18Mon, 11 Jun 2018 18:18:14 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago6 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

1 Cosmos Magazine
2 Horizon Magazine

From 1;

From 2;

I hadn't heard about global 'stilling' so thank you for the information.

It has happened, perhaps, over the same period as mean global warming and could very well be a concurrent condition.

No one has ever said global warming was a single, problem, it is a complex set of changing conditions the only one of which we humans can EASILY control is the burning and release of carbon into the atmosphere.

I find your statement ""With wind speeds globally slowing down, will governmental agencies finally start to accept that nothing can really be done about the weather, or will they use this as an excuse to fine and fee us for more money?"" is of great concern to me - it sounds like your pocket book thickness is more important then a habitable planet for future generations.

On to the conspiracy thinking:

One I believe you are referring to Global Warming specifically Anthropomorphic (man-made) Global Warming being a conspiracy to take away your hard earned money.

Second - the geoengineering conspiracy - that may or may not be using your tax dollars to mitagate the acknowledged effects of global warming on life on land, sea and air?

Look up Global Dimming which is also a 'near' concurrent effect of global warming. And other patented weather modification techniques being used as weapons and other unknown reasons.

Anthropomorphic is ascribing human characteristics to something; anthropogenic is the word you're looking for.

Man-made global dimming is reducing the net effect of man-made global warming, potentially by a degree or more Celsius. The global warming effect is stronger, and some of the global dimming emissions will be warming in the long term.

Much of our dimming is a result of coal emissions; these mostly fall out of the atmosphere in weeks, and if those decline as a result of less coal use, the effect of warming will be more pronounced.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join