It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Expert: America’s Poor Becoming More Destitute Under Trump

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
So unemployment is down and the economy is rising but poverty is increasing? That's very odd.

the unemployment number is a lie, we actually lost a % of overall labor force participation even though the unemployment # went down

this is all basic stuff people I mean you'll have to look past what team is winning right now and actually have to investigate some of the details

it be as easy as reading 1 sentence or a Tweet though so i doubt anyone is capable anymore

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
So unemployment is down and the economy is rising but poverty is increasing? That's very odd.

the unemployment number is a lie, we actually lost a % of overall labor force participation even though the unemployment # went down

this is all basic stuff people I mean you'll have to look past what team is winning right now and actually have to investigate some of the details

it be as easy as reading 1 sentence or a Tweet though so i doubt anyone is capable anymore

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Trump Declares War On The Poor

Republicans Create Budget Deficits and Want People Barely Scraping By to Pay for Them
Of course, the deficits increased because Congress cut taxes for corporations and the wealthy while vastly hiking military spending as well as retaining funds for domestic programs.

www.dcreport.org...

America punishes its poor and rewards the rich out of GREED and selfishness and ignorance.

No one is "at war with the poor". There might differences in opinion about what to do about poverty, but to conclude that people are somehow being punished because they are not getting more free stuff is a little ridiculous. You started off presenting to everyone with a false, politically biased, "study" from a "U.N. expert" that was clearly given only as a smear against the current President despite the fact that the data he used only goes up to the previous presidency. It really makes it difficult to take the U.N.--or yourself-- seriously.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

. It is NOT Trump's fault that there are poor people.

It is Trump's fault that he's neglecting them and actually making things worse for many of them. It's has fault that he only cares about millionaires instead of representing the whole country.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: timequake

the automatic default position is that people want free stuff

I consider that a partisan point of view because it ignore the reality that the average median income has only increased a very small % since the 1970's meanwhile the cost of living has quadrupled in the same amount of time

this has everything to do with the Fed and nothing to do with the right wing partisan point of view of, "taking responsibility", majority of these people are doing everything they can including working multiple jobs and massive amounts of overtime.

however it doesn't matter because they dollar they earn isn't worth enough to pay for what they need to pay for

it's sooooo hard to wrap your head around that I know, but GO TEAM!

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

. It is NOT Trump's fault that there are poor people.

It is Trump's fault that he's neglecting them and actually making things worse for many of them. It's has fault that he only cares about millionaires instead of representing the whole country.

the government should have no influence over the economy we shouldn't be able to blame politicians for the state of the economy, the fact that we can even do that in the first place is exactly what the problem is

the government think it's it's job to save the economy when it's not

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
money.cnn.com...

the actual data tells a different story than what many of you want to assert based on your biased anecdotal observations of what's happening in your own neighborhood without actual incorporating the data

good thing I don't come here for market perspectives, I used to but that doesn't work anymore

Many work even longer. Adults employed full time report working an average of 47 hours per week, which equates to nearly six days a week, according to Gallup. That's about an hour and a half more than they reported a decade ago. Nearly four in 10 workers report logging 50+ hours on the job.

but these people are so lazy cause Fox news said so! I'm on team conservative these people are lazy!!

nah sorry, hardest working nation on earth and it's still not good enough for you

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: Metallicus
They need to learn to take responsibility for themselves. No one owes you anything in this life.
Children as well yeah, get 'em in the workhouse cleaning under the machines, the lazy bastard poor kids...

What about the children? Typical.

I take good care of my daughter just like every parent is responsible for the well being of their kids. The problem is some parents are selfish and don’t do what is needed. It isn’t anyone’s responsibility to pay for your reproductive choices.
Yes, get the lazy bastard kids of lazy bastard parents under the machines, cleaning.
edit on 3-6-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Doing what?

There are a lot of jobs out there that will pay more than minimum wage that will see you comfortably off if you're smart, but you aren't going to make a career out of clocking in at Walmart.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

And you dug your way out.
So did I. I hit rock bottom, but all it took was a community and society to have the opportunities at my disposal, sure it got me 30 grand in debt, but I dug my way out.

I am not really for what the OP is saying, UN experts and what not have a much more deeper meaning usually and a little biased.

But I still stand by my point that the main reason why people are stuck in poverty is because they are almost forced into it and stuck to live with it. And to be a little honest, Trumps tax plan did benefit the rich more than the poor. Once again the rich got the better end of the stick.

I agree with you completely. I like you have pulled myself out of trouble. But I have a level of intelligence and skill sets that the majority of these people simply don't have.

So many people blame the poor for being poor. I don't think many people, even those who pulled themselves out can undersrand how truly trapped with little to no way out many of them are.

It saddens me that anyone is homeless unless by choice. We have the technology and the resources to solve this problem and yet we do nothing.

As for the OP, our government has done almost nothing since the enactment of Welfare to help or hurt anyone who is in poverty. Trump included.

edit on 3-6-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Then you have people like my sister and brother-in-law who are poor and keep making bad choices. They have plenty of ways out, and plenty of help from family to get out.

But right now, all they do is take, take, take and never once use what they're given to actually improve so they can start to do for themselves.

Sooner or later, they'll wear out everyone's goodwill.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Then you have people like my sister and brother-in-law who are poor and keep making bad choices. They have plenty of ways out, and plenty of help from family to get out.

But right now, all they do is take, take, take and never once use what they're given to actually improve so they can start to do for themselves.

Sooner or later, they'll wear out everyone's goodwill.

I have seen this side too. I think this problem gets worse and worse with each generation.

Participation trophies for everyone doesn't teach the true nature of the world to our children. If anything it promotes the stagnant ideas of communism.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Yes, the Fed is the biggest part of the problem. Nevertheless, the programs to which are being discussed entail, necessarily, given things away. What you are refering to is a more sophisticated problem that goes beyond the President. I'll wager that any siting president that tried to correct the issue with the Fed wouldn't remain President for long.
edit on 3-6-2018 by timequake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
money.cnn.com...

the actual data tells a different story than what many of you want to assert based on your biased anecdotal observations of what's happening in your own neighborhood without actual incorporating the data

good thing I don't come here for market perspectives, I used to but that doesn't work anymore

Many work even longer. Adults employed full time report working an average of 47 hours per week, which equates to nearly six days a week, according to Gallup. That's about an hour and a half more than they reported a decade ago. Nearly four in 10 workers report logging 50+ hours on the job.

but these people are so lazy cause Fox news said so! I'm on team conservative these people are lazy!!

nah sorry, hardest working nation on earth and it's still not good enough for you

I know people that work 50+ hours because they want to. They get overtime and can make decent money doing it. You're implying that these people are working more because they have to make ends meet. From some that may be true, but several others, myself included, are simply hard workers that don't mind the extra hours. You chide others for supposed team bias, but I think you're not so far from that yourself despite your claim

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: timequake

I see a lot of blame the government.

Where is blame the bankers?

For those of you that truly undersrand global finance you will understand that the majority of our economic problems are not caused by fiat currencies. But rather fractional reserve lending and usury.

End the Federal Reserve and private banking like our founding fathers intended and America would quickly become a truly unstoppable force.

It's the bankers and the global corporations that grew up around them that have bought the government and used it to gain even more wealth.

edit on 3-6-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You cannot judge the world.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: ketsuko

You cannot judge the world.

Creating universal welfare programs enables what I described above, and it is a large and growing part of the problem. Many of those programs are not hand-ups, they are endless hand-outs and create dependency rather than fostering independence through their very design.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
the greatest weakness of a fiat currency are words, every time these hit pieces are released it damages our economy by eroding confidence bit by bit, so you should ask, who is this guy working for?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I agree. Wars are fought to get banks set up in foreign countries. The last time the US. attempted to end the banking issue, the war of 1812 came about... A war we lost and most people know nothing about.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I'm a 52 year old sales rep, this is an issue I discuss with my home office, the poverty rate in my territory, is higher than most other states,I'm in the southeast US, that said it has got better since the late 70's. Is it enough no probably not, but finding that balance can be like plugging your finger in a leaky dyke . There are certain areas that are going to always struggle, got so many areas that are are one factory towns, that factory moves over seas, bam you got a town of 5-10 thousand hurting. People disregard natural disasters too, certain areas of SC never recovered from hurricane Hugo and that was in the 80's. Its a complex issue, especially for a free nation of this population and area. Not to mention the systems in place are sometimes fraught with abuse,fraud and corruption that is damn near impossible to control in a country so large. Its really an issue that needs to be attacked at the community level not just the federal level.

Lets not forget though that unemployment and welfare was never set up to be permanent solution either, and it goes through multiple political agencies that are bloated and inefficient themselves. This doesn't even count cultural and logistical challenges because studies show Americans give a lot to charities, though it might not be flowing down to those who need it most. Think like a lot of issues its easy,lazy and uninformed to ascertain why doesn't the US government do more, without realizing thats almost the last entity you should want to control it. I know Europeans are are used to having their government to wipe their noses and make them feel secure , but a lot of America has a different attitude about such things. I mean you would literally have to set up centers in every little town and wide spot in the road, and there would still be people not taking advantage of it. Sure that doesnt mean you quit and dont try, but this communities are better served by getting the local economy going if possible you can't just throw money at it.

time.com...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join