It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Expert: America’s Poor Becoming More Destitute Under Trump

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
It’s amazing how well-fed people get so upset at objective reality

The fact that this richest country ever, so proudly touted by the proud, is the worst of the industrialized countries in taking care of their poor.

I guess the truth hurts
I'm at McDonalds and spent $10 on a med value meal, they had onions in it. I threw it in the trash next to a hobo.

link   
a reply to: Willtell

Love those "special rapporteur on extreme poverty" people.

He sums up the xAdminiztration rather well.

😎🚬👋🤦

link   

It’s amazing how well-fed people get so upset at objective reality

The fact that this richest country ever, so proudly touted by the proud, is the worst of the industrialized countries in taking care of their poor.

I guess the truth hurts

Where's the data to support your crackpot story???
Show us these facts you speak of - because none were in your link.
Surely you have the specific facts and data or else, well, you'd be somewhat of an idiot.
edit on 3/6/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: UKTruth

He's a legitimate researcher, who unlike you. is not an armchair right-wingerer who sprouting right-wing dogma ALL THE TIME

He’s goes around AND SEES the poor for himself.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

He legitimate according to paid sourzes.

🥁💮

link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
a reply to: strongfp

You mean the world isn't fair?

Someone needs to write a law and make us all equal!

Equal? No one is asking for equal, they are asking for help.

You're closer in wealth to the poor than Trump.

link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

And you dug your way out.
So did I. I hit rock bottom, but all it took was a community and society to have the opportunities at my disposal, sure it got me 30 grand in debt, but I dug my way out.

I am not really for what the OP is saying, UN experts and what not have a much more deeper meaning usually and a little biased.

But I still stand by my point that the main reason why people are stuck in poverty is because they are almost forced into it and stuck to live with it. And to be a little honest, Trumps tax plan did benefit the rich more than the poor. Once again the rich got the better end of the stick.

link   

originally posted by: Taggart

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
And how are you helping the poor? Are you giving them your money?

America isn't some place where you can just raise your hand and be taken care of at the expense of government.

I could have sworn the whole point of government is to in fact protect it's citizens, top to bottom.

This isn't an 'America' thing, it's a first world thing.

No, it is governments job to provide equal opportunity not to take care of people. It is the individuals responsibility to take that opportunity and make something out of it and some people just want to leech off of said government.

link   

He's a legitimate researcher, who unlike you. is not an armchair right-wingerer who sprouting right-wing dogma ALL THE TIME

Show us the data. I would imagine a legitimate researcher would provide something to back up the claim...
Again, from the link.

However, the data from the U.S. Census Bureau he cited covers only the period through 2016, and he gave no comparative figures on the extent of poverty before and after Trump came into office in January 2017.

Sounds like a TDS sufferer, perhaps in the last stages, to me.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

But the author still did not have enough data to point out trends or compare Trump's administration to previous president's administrations.
edit on 3-6-2018 by feldercarb because: change date to data

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I have plenty of compassion, but I am realistic. Life isn't fair, and you don't make everyone "equal" by dragging everyone down to the same level.

I see plenty of "poor" people who have made and continue to make poor decisions. If you gave them a million dollars, they'd be poor again in a year or less.

I have, and continue to help those in my local community who are actually trying to better themselves.

Compassion can't be forced.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

OHhhh???

Dude, read your own post back, but in Daffy Ducks voice. Yeah, thats how ridiculous this is.

Stop embarrasing yourself bro 😒

I use to be poor and I see poor people all the time, can I become a UN expert?
edit on 3-6-2018 by Arnie123 because: Lol

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: feldercarb

Maybe not enough data for you.

Yet the Turmpers will claim credit for Trump without DATA all the time

“But the policies pursued over the past year seem deliberately designed to remove basic protections from the poorest, punish those who are not in employment and make even basic health care into a privilege to be earned rather than a right of citizenship,” Alston said. Almost 41 million people or 12.7 percent live in poverty, 18.5 million in extreme poverty, and children account for one in three poor, he said. The United States has the highest youth poverty rate among industrialized countries, he added. “Its citizens live shorter and sicker lives compared to those living in all other rich democracies, eradicable tropical diseases are increasingly prevalent and it has the world’s highest incarceration rate ... and the highest obesity levels in the developed world,” Alston said.

The data he has is first hand not theory. He's sees the poor and sick in America in the flesh

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Under which Presidential administration did this not happen? Has a Republican controlled or Democratic controlled Congress ever reversed this trend?

If you want to look for a root cause, start with the Federal Reserve Bank and the endless wars we've engaged in since its inception.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

“But the policies pursued over the past year seem deliberately designed to remove basic protections from the poorest, punish those who are not in employment and make even basic health care into a privilege to be earned rather than a right of citizenship,” Alston said. Almost 41 million people or 12.7 percent live in poverty, 18.5 million in extreme poverty, and children account for one in three poor, he said. The United States has the highest youth poverty rate among industrialized countries, he added. “Its citizens live shorter and sicker lives compared to those living in all other rich democracies, eradicable tropical diseases are increasingly prevalent and it has the world’s highest incarceration rate ... and the highest obesity levels in the developed world,” Alston said.

The data he has is first hand not theory. He's sees the poor and sick in America in the flesh

So he met some poor people and concluded that across America the poor are becoming 'more destitute'. He had no data at all, he just blurted. Some researcher, right there.

What an idiot.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

It's not a partisan issue as the article states poverty was massive under Obama and is continuing under Trump. It wouldn't have appeared with Obama or even Bush. It's something that appears tied to all of our economies. It's an issue in the UK, France, Russia, China, Australia and probably more places under the full spectrum of political parties.

Damn shame that maybe part of the problem is nobody really gives two #s beyond defending their own hill and blaming the other one.

What we should do is wait for that growing wealth gap to trickle its way down to the dirt poor. It's coming, right?! The middle classes are being sucked towards the poverty line too. It's cool though as long as we can float along on credit and servicing our debts.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

While Europe is on the brink of economic collapse. Why do i care about the opinion of some overpaid "expert" from the UN. The youth in this country want to be You Tube stars and Instagram models. They all go to college and get a PHDs in English and ask why they can't find a job. Of course some UN expert is gonna say this all started with Trump because it fits their narrative.

And the USA does take care of their poor. SO much so people have 5 kids and don't work to get the benefits. Able bodied people living off the government and i can't blame them for not wanting a job they get to be lazy and live comfortable. I'm jealous

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Yeah and it is just as foolish. You need real numbers to crunch if things are getting better or worse. And you have to be analyze those numbers to see if things are truly getting better or worse. Case in point, I probably could tell you that the poor have more money than ever before. The problem is that their buying power is lower and may be comparable worse or better than before. You need all the data to see if things are improving or not. Just doing anecdotal evidence is not going to solve problems.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Someone bias wrote the article.

Those statistics are from the Obama era.

California, that bastion of progressive ideals, accounts for a little less than half of that 500,000 number.

Congrats, you've fallen for propaganda.

ETA: Also, that stat doesn't tell the whole story, much like the suicide by gun stat. a decent portion of the homeless are not so because of the economy, but a drug habit.
edit on 3-6-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
What about the children? Typical.

I take good care of my daughter just like every parent is responsible for the well being of their kids. The problem is some parents are selfish and don’t do what is needed. It isn’t anyone’s responsibility to pay for your reproductive choices.

No it's not, I agree.
...but I'm happy that my UK taxes go towards funding projects which help kids with #ty parents. Maybe that is where we differ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join