It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can The Scouts Survive This?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
As other posters have said in the UK (and many other places) scouts have been mixed gender for years and it's generally been a great success.

Membership is up and there are waiting lists to join in many areas. (I believe finding sufficient adult volunteers remains a problem)

Girls have been allowed to be members of Scouts since 1991 in the UK and Baden Powell also founded the Girl Guides at the same time as the Boy Scouts in 1910.

The Scouts are trying to become more inclusive with emphasis on opportunity for all whatever your background, ethnicity, religion etc. They have changed the promise for each sections (Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorers) so this is more inclusive too. The focus is still very much on camping, hiking and lots of outdoor activities plus learning and being a part of your local and international community. You can see this change through reading old material from the 1910s onwards, but this can be said about society as a whole.

I'm a Beaver leader. We always have trouble clearing our waiting list. Finding adult leaders is a problem too as we mainly recruit from parents who have kids in scouting.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheocraticAmerica
It's not just the Mormons, but many organizations which believe in God and his teachings. As a follower of The Way and a former eagle scout I am offended by this change. My children will not take part in it, and I will not support either boy or girl scout groups by purchasing their cookies and candy. Thank God other off brands are making the same recipes.

You won’t support a completely unrelated group for what the Boy Scouts of America are doing?

<< 1  2  3   >>

join