It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some things congress blew our money on.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Why are we in debt. Here is some things our congress spent money on.

Musems and Parks
750,000 for the baseball hall of fame
700,000 for the Siver ring Thing Museum in Pennsylvainia
90,000 for the Cowgirl hall of fame in Texas
350,000 for the ROck and Roll hall of Fame

Other
1 Million to Study DNA in Bears
1 Million to study brown tree snakes
6 Million to study sea lions
1 Million on the Mormon crickett in Utah
220,000 for blueberry research

Transpertation

20 million at building roads over seas
1.5 million to study packing habits of truckers
500,000 to study sidewalks at the Kennedy Center
3 Million on propganda on the virtues of highways.

Projects for there buddies

6 Million to help start the Robet J Dole Instiute
1.5 Million for The Claiborne Pell Institute

Nasa

40 Million for Nasa
122 Million for Joint space ventuers with Russia

They dont care its not there money they are spending.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snowman9

Transpertation

20 million at building roads over seas
1.5 million to study packing habits of truckers

Nasa

40 Million for Nasa

Do you have a source the information came from?

As for the ones I left that you gave there is a very good reason.

The 20 million for roads overseas is part of a joint venture where we build roads over there with our methods and materials; they in turn come to the US and build some of our roads here using their methods and materials. That is a win win situation for all.

We have one section of a major freeway in our area where Germany came over here and repaved a stretch of highway 20 miles long 15 years ago where they intentionally drilling what one would think would have turned into pot holes by now yet there is no expansion of the original holes, nor has that section of freeway needed any major repairs. Hardly what I would consider blowing money since the road today is just as good as it was on day one.

Edit to add comment on study of truckers. That is a safety issue and needs to be addressed. That can only be implemented once they find where the majority of errors in packing trucks is found out.

I also note you consider it a waste of money on NASA and the joint ventures with Russia, why? That is hardly a waste of money when you consider the technology we have gained from building our space program.

[edit on 2/19/2005 by shots]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

220,000 for blueberry research

The people who grow and sell blueberries pay taxes so why shouldn't some of that money back into their industry?

The US blueberry industry was worth $210 million in 2002.

www.uga.edu...

I think more money needs to go into agriculture.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   

During the 20th century, more than $20 billion has been spent on major league ballparks, stadiums, and arenas. This includes a minimum of $14.7 billion in government subsidies that has gone to the four major league sports —Major League Baseball, the National Football League, the National Basketball Association, and the National Hockey League —including more than $5.2 billion just since 1989.

The question that I would like to offer is should U.S. tax dollars go to fund sports? I say no.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Nasa

40 Million for Nasa

Even if they didn't spend all of this, this wouldn't make any difference whatsoever in the national debt.

Plus, some of these things are quite important, like funding NASA and joint space research with Russia.

[edit on 19/2/05 by Slayer]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Personally, I favor some of the Libertarians' arguments for ending the government monopoly in the US on space travel and exploration....

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
The people who grow and sell blueberries pay taxes so why shouldn't some of that money back into their industry?

The US blueberry industry was worth $210 million in 2002.

How about not taking their money and letting them fund their own research?

I think more money needs to go into agriculture.

Who's money? Even if the blueberry industry pays into taxes, when they get that money back for their own industry, it comes out of others pockets.

How about saying what you mean. How about instead of saying "I think more money needs to go into agriculture," you should say "cavscout, I think more of your money should go into agriculture, so I'm going to commit armed robbery against you, for the sake of the blueberries."

What happened to the good old days when the stole my money for the poor, or for the kids, something that at least sounded honorable. I dont even like blueberries, for the love of God!

Where the hell is Robin Hood when you need a good theif to steal your money?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Subsidies for business/agriculture/etc. are no different than welfare. It's government welfare for businesses.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Taxes pent on sports? Yes, real sports that is.... Not baseball, not until they finally make taking steroids illegal. I swear, in baseball you don't need talent or skill, just the money for steroids. Do you really think they hit all those homeruns with skill? It is why they threatened to strike when drug testing was going to be added to the rules, so they removed drug testing and the users came back fo their millions.

FootBall, BasketBall, Soccer/European FootBall, Nascar/Busch, track sports,(Olympic Sports, summer, not winter). Not Baseball till they drug test, Golf(70 year old men are not athletes) Tennis(ping pong USE to be a sport, it isn't anymore, therefor tennis isn't either), hmmmm, what else do people say is a sport but isn't? CURLING! Figure skating, diving, swimming(you don't you drown) sailing/yachting,(unless you include taking the bus or catching a taxi as a sport) and well, anything else I left out.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I just find the fact that the U.S. government funds professional sports somewhat absurd...no, not somewhat absurd, but outright absurd.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I agree. The only legitimate function of government is the protection of life and property. If sports can’t gain enough support from fans to stay in business, then let them go, let them run their natural course. I don’t watch sports, so I don’t want to pay for sports. If anyone wants to be charitable toward sports, go ahead. Just leave my paycheck out of it.

Anything that can’t sell itself well enough to make a profit is not needed enough to justify theft of wages.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Thanks for your replies. I agree with sports not being funded by our goverment. You mean all the money that the players and owners make and we have to pay for the hall of fame.

new topics

top topics

join