It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adventures With Bankrupty and My Quest for a New Guitar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Source: American Musical Supply.

Hi ATS!

By now you have heard that Gibson Musical Instruments filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy at the beginning of May.

I just happened to have enough cereal boxes saved up, and some dollar bills, and a stamp, and I was ready to make a purchase of a Gibson Explorer. I was going to go with the antique white finish which is what this year's model comes in. I go to my favorite (and dependable, and reasonable) on-line music store only to find that not only is this year's Explorer out of stock, but ALL of them were being purchased! I waited two days before talking myself into a 2016 all black one only to find it gone. The HP model... also gone! Then earlier this week, they posted an update saying the new stock will be in June 6.

I can't believe this! I have the money, all of it, sitting there in the bank but everybody is running around purchasing pre-bankruptcy Gibsons!

GAH!

After dorking around all day, I wanted to see if any other on-line seller has one, in stock. A quick googles shows AMS has both the 2018 Explorer in antique white, but what is this?? They have another model sitting there and in stock!

The photo is the Gibson LE Explorer Elite 2018 Aged Cherry w/Gold Hardware.

After showing my buddy during a break at the hockey game last night, my drooling self sat down and looked some more. Turns out the Elite has a few features different than the stock model. First, the pickups are Burstbuckers: BB2 - neck, BB3 - bridge. Next, the frets have been cryogenically treated with liquid nitrogen which hardens them up internally while leaving the surface feel just the same as regular medium jumbo frets. That means they should last longer (Gibson says you should probably never need a re-fret, ever). Add to it the aged cherry finish and gold hardware... well, I couldn't stand it any longer.

I created an account, added my shipping info, paid the ferry man, and hit "Submit" (oh, I did! Trust me! In both senses of that word!!).

My new Gibson Explorer Elite arrives on Tuesday! And it is a pre-bankruptcy one! I hope they get back to just making guitars as this fine specimen is! I am glad my money went to them and is no longer burning a hole in my pocket.

C'mon Tuesday!!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I only understood about half of that terminology, but holy cow, I can feel your excitement. That is awesome!!!

I have tried going down that path many times. Multiple lessons with separate instructors and RockSmith until my fingers bled. I just don't have the talent. I think I will live through you.

Once you get it, will you grace us with a couple of recorded riffs?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Didn't know about Gibson , that's sad.
Hope you and your new obsession will spend many happy years together.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

i have not had the feeling of a new guitar in some time. happy for you

i would not have went that route as that guitar is not my style but those soap bars are sexy as # man. good call on that one.

safe to assume youre a metal guy??

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Probably! Then I will probably never shut up! lol.

a reply to: gortex

Gibson bought Phillips in a bid to become Gibson brand from making music to playing it on your home stereo. Except they never had run a home electronic business before. Now, 4 years later, they sold that section and had to restructure under Ch.11. Yeah, that is really sad. Elvis, Chuck Berry, B.B. King, Dave Ghrol, Chris Cornell, brothers Gallagher, John Lennon, and so many more... it is hard to imagine them have to do that.

I have the perfect name for her...

Dora!!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
this is where i'm at

www.musiciansfriend.com... sby

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Yeah, that is really sad. Elvis, Chuck Berry, B.B. King, Dave Ghrol, Chris Cornell, brothers Gallagher, John Lennon, and so many more...

frank zappa
dweezil zappa
derek trucks

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I play more "alternative" music (Cult, Cure, Cranberrys, Sonic Youth, Nirvana, New Model Army) but come from the punk scene (and if push comes to shove, I really started in classical. I also did two years hard jazz time at college).

I like all kinds of music! Even metal! hehehe..

I love to crank up Killswitch Engaged! And who doesn't love Opeth??

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Gretsch is pretty awesome too! I really wanted to get the Billy Duffy White Falcon but fell a couple grand short!

I thought about an SG and letting my inner Zappa out but I always wanted an explorer, so I forked out the dough!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
That’s sweet dude. NGD is always a good day.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Could've saved yourself a lot of grief and just bought a Fender

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

i dont like opeth

but yay for the cure

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Already have a couple of those! My main guitar for years was a Mexi strat with Dimarzios and a Warmoth neck. The thing is built like a tank.

This looks like a piece of furniture! Heck, the case alone is the size of a coffee table!

I guess there is always one person who does not like Opeth!

'S'all good! You like Zappa, you cool with me!

The band I was in back in college played 80's stuff like The Cars, Police, U2, INXS, and some band called A Flock of Seagulls. I had a delay back then (Digitech, I think) and we played with a drum machine so we would always be in time. But every now and then, me and the bass player would spend hours step-writing in Rush. I really like playing Limelight. We both had fun playing YYZ. I think we did Tom Sawyer for the lunch crowd one time.

Bits of everything.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

zappa is the man.

i know who flock of seagulls are man.

im heavy into new wave these days. was just talking about that earlier

take that kick ass new guitar and play some la villa strangiato. its off hemispheres

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Just having a joke with the old Gibson/Fender rivalry thing! Congrats on the new axe. Honestly when I saw the thread title I thought like me you were too broke to afford a new guitar!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is my baby gal.
Reverend Manta Ray. 2011 limited edition.
Have fun with your new Gibby.

edit on 18-5-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I remember reading about the grief Gibson guitars had with the feds over imported wood.

www.newsmax.com...

www.npr.org...

"He's even warned clients to be wary of traveling abroad with old guitars, because the law says owners can be asked to account for every wooden part of their guitars when re-entering the U.S. The law also covers the trade in vintage instruments."

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Congrats.
I bought my Gibson Les Paul last year. A fine musical instrument. I bought one in 92 also, wasn't pleased with it at all. Sold it for 80000 yen. It was the first year they came out with a clear maple top and gold hardware. Beautiful guitar, but something just was missing on that one, the Gibson magic seemed to have left it at the factory.
I got a Zen-on classical guitar that is around 60 years old. None finer then that one. The tone just sings out like a bird chirping in the morning.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
My only Gibson. Bought this '76 Firebird in '83 - just sold it last year. Cool looking and great sounding but neck-heavy, just wouldn't balance on a strap.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

That is one Rush song that I am not a fan of! lol. I'll probably just rock out to Tool!

a reply to: underpass61

My solution: Fender AND Gibson!

I had a sudden influx of cash. I decided to kind of invest in myself through a new guitar.

My buddy borrows my guitars all the time for recording stuff. He had one for nearly year! I did not even really notice. I plunk away on acoustic mostly (and his banjo! I figured out "Come as you are" which is funnier than h3ll to play on banjo!)

This should be fun!

a reply to: skunkape23

I wonder if I was too subtle? C'mon, it is funny!

Dora, the Explorer!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join