It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German Broadcaster- Ramadan an ‘Old German Custom’ Celebrated Longer than Oktoberfest

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Sounds a lot like when President Obama made reference to the "achievements and contributions of Muslim Americans to building the very fabric of our nation and strengthening the core of our democracy."

Seems like countries are trying to post date Muslim participation in their societies

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
Oktoberfest is bavarian, not german!
Meanwhile other cities copy that drug party for the profits of the alcohol lobby, but that is as authentic as japanese, australian or "U"S tourists in Lederhosen on the real Oktoberfest.

Btw, could send you millions of stupid and unnecessary things rightwingers said and nobody heard it. Except some RJW´s, Rightwing Justice Warriors in the "U"SA, which seem to get paid to find such a stuff.

Interested?

I believe the topic of the thread IS NOT Oktoberfest
That means no one should be interested.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Well it's like their prime minister said Islam is the future of Germany.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I don't about the claims of this German journalist but he's not technically wrong that the celebration of Ramadan in Germany predates the celebration of Oktoberfest, considering that Oktoberfest dates to 1810.

Despite the Breitbart writer's mosque red herring, Muslims have been living in Germany since before 1810. There's a Muslim cemetery in Berlin that dates back to 1798.

Ever heard of the Bosniak Corps?

This is what was being referred to. The fact that Ramadan has been celebrated in Germany before Oktoberfest was. But you should know that people are going to take the wording in the OP and run with it.

It's the same as when people claim that Islam is invading the US, even though Muslims were here before the colonies split off to form the USA and a Muslim kingdom (Morocco) was the first nation to recognize the USA's independence. We're not the ones rewriting history, they are.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I don't about the claims of this German journalist but he's not technically wrong that the celebration of Ramadan in Germany predates the celebration of Oktoberfest, considering that Oktoberfest dates to 1810.

Despite the Breitbart writer's mosque red herring, Muslims have been living in Germany since before 1810. There's a Muslim cemetery in Berlin that dates back to 1798.

This is what was being referred to. The fact that Ramadan has been celebrated in Germany before Oktoberfest was. But you should know that people are going to take the wording in the OP and run with it.

It's the same as when people claim that Islam is invading the US, even though Muslims were here before the colonies split off to form the USA and a Muslim kingdom (Morocco) was the first nation to recognize the USA's independence. We're not the ones rewriting history, they are.

I celebrated my birthday here years before anyone knew about it, so what?

Once they knew about it, it blew ramadan out of the water.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I'm sure Muslims were there long before 1798. Eastern Europe borders on plenty of Islamic countries. Even as Russia was Orthodox Christian there was a heavy Islamic influence in their society for centuries. They were allies with the Ottoman Empire. Muslims controlled access to silk road overland trade routes. To the extent Germany interacted with these peoples, there was contact with Muslims but I wouldn't try to claim it was a national religion or anything. It's popularity in Germany rose and fell in accordance with their circumstances.
edit on 19-5-2018 by toms54 because: formatting

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Yeah, Germany was either surrounded by the Muslism Moorish in the 9th, 10th, 11th Century who held all of southern Europe and shared borders and trade routes with them and Ottoman Empire on the Eastern borders and reaching an interaction point where they were a small but famous part of army called 'tall men' and were respected enough by Germanic rulers they built a prayer room for them.

The idea various races and cultures didn't interact, travel thousands of miles and exchange ideas/culture stems from the falsehoods spread by European groups in late 18th, early 19th Century who were looking maintain racial dominance as empires collapsed and the slave trade ceased.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
Im as liberal as they come, but I reject this move to put down and rewrite European or white history to fit left or currently pc narratives. That's not justice.

Furthermore, I find it offensive as a person partly of German descent.

Muslims arrived in Germany in the 1600s. The first Islamic prayer centres were set up in 1739. Oktoberfest isn't german and started 70 years after.
Bavaria is part of Germany now brah.

Secondly, there are efforts both there and Scandinavia to inflate historic Islamic representation and devalue local culture. I have zero against Islam, nor am any kind of nationalist really. But, I don't think such moves represent real intercultural respect.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join