It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HS cheer team forced to accept everyone who tries

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

What a sudden flash back I just had. I remembered every detail of trying out for the cheer leading squad. I knew I was a shoo in because I was the only one that could do a split. Guess what! I didn't make it!

I was devastated and really pissed, so pissed that I tried out for the majorettes. I felt my baton twirling wasn't quite as good but guess what! I made it.

My mother was extremely supportive but her response to my not being selected was, "Their lost." When I said I was going to try out for the majorettes, she said "good for you". She suggested that I practice and that I show confidence. She had seen my baton twirling, and like she said, I needed some practice. But I know for a fact that though my baton twirling wasn't wasn't cracker jack when I auditioned, my confidence level was through the roof, because I was too pissed not to make it. It made the difference I needed.

My little story doesn't really add a lot to the thread, but it really did smack me between the eyes, and all those emotions shot straight to the surface again like it was yesterday.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I'm trying out bitches!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I quit the team and the internet.😒

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
we have allowed to many people with low IQs to rule in the domain of education

imagine that

IQ tests should be mandatory in order to teach only select the top 10%

IQ is not an indicator of one's ability to impart knowledge on to someone else.

In fact, it has been my experience that those with high intelligence and IQ's understand things in ways that other people would not be able to grasp.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Cant wait to see videos the opposing teams take of this outfit...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Wow, this is bad - I'd love to get the rest of this story and see all that happened and how it led up to it. I hate reading something interesting like this and only get a tiny bit of what actually happened. We're gonna have a generation of butter soft adults if there's truth to this. *shakes head*

And I don't want to piss off any parents here who take cheer-leading seriously but... why isn't cheer-leading all inclusive anyway? It's not a sport, it's not a competition, there is no winner and there is no loser... it's just people cheering and getting others to cheer - it really should be open to anyone.

Sports on the other hand... there are tournaments, scholarships, there is winning and losing - that should never be all inclusive and should be determined on auditions and skill. Now, I do realize there are special cheer-leading teams that compete against others but that is not the norm and most school cheer-leading teams do not compete.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

Love me.

You know you want to. . . . .

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I recall when I was in high school that it went from being a lame complete popularity contest to something more and better round about my senior year.

They got a new coach who wanted a select squad who could actually ... do acrobatics and stuff not just look pretty and hop around.

They split out the selection process to 1/3 student body rep input (as a top athlete and scholar I got a vote - not sure who put my name in the hat), 1/3 faculty input, and 1/3 coach choice. I had a friend and teammate who'd been in competitive gymnastics for a lot of years, and under the new system she tried out. She was nowhere near popular, but she could do the acrobatic stuff like no one else. Even though she was never what anyone would call pretty, I think she even got the student vote when she came in with a string of handsprings ending in a front flip with a perfect landing.

But after going to system that was more rewarding of merit like that one was with the purpose of trying to get a more respectable and athletic cheer squad, would you still decide to let every girl who wants a spot be on the squad?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
But after going to system that was more rewarding of merit like that one was with the purpose of trying to get a more respectable and athletic cheer squad, would you still decide to let every girl who wants a spot be on the squad?

Yes and no. Like I've said, flag girl or spirit squad seems appropriate for any girl that wants to be on a cheer team. Obviously, if they can't do the acrobatics, dance, etc, no... keep them off that portion of the cheerleading team.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Oh, I see.

I guess I always viewed those as different things.

Flag girls are part of the band, so you have to get the girl to accept being a band geek.
(This one time ... at band camp ... )

And your cheerleaders are different than your spirit squad all over again. One does all the pyramids and throws and roams the sidelines cheering while the other group does the dance routines that make the men happy.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
So with this method how do you promote people to excel and be better if everyone who tries is automatically accepted?

Why even have tryouts?
Just give everyone a uniform who shows up. Better bring plenty of XL uniforms as to not unintentionally oppress someone. Can't even believe this is a thing.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

So with this method how do you promote people to excel and be better if everyone who tries is automatically accepted? Why even have tryouts? Just give everyone a uniform who shows up. Better bring plenty of XL uniforms as to not unintentionally oppress someone. Can't even believe this is a thing.

What is this "method" and what is this "thing"?

Do you have inside knowledge as to what happened?

If not, do you not think you are making assumptions from a position of ignorance?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Let them Cheer...WTF

I never understood competitive cheer.

The more the better.

It shouldn't be just a few...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Believe it or not, girls can be competitive too.

People tend to compete to be the best at whatever they can figure out how to compete at.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Sometimes a Positive Attitude Outweighs a God given Talent .

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Acceptance onto the squad should be based upon participation and effort.

Not everyone can do flips and other physical feats.

But they can do cheers at least.

On the other hand. The cheer squad can mass quit and let the school deal with it. Might send a message.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Believe it or not, girls can be competitive too.

People tend to compete to be the best at whatever they can figure out how to compete at.

My child does it. $5000.00 to sign up. It's beyond ridiculous.

Boys can cheer as well. Why limit kids. You can still have Varsity.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

It's cheerleading, though. She may lack the ability to be part of the human pyramid or do cartwheels, but most high schools I've ever known accept any girl who wants to be on the cheer team... the ones unable to do the tricks are flag girls or pom pom wavers.

I'm torn here. On one hand, I think high school sports should accept anyone who wants to be on the team and hustles in paractices and games. That doesn't mean everybody gets to lineup and play on game days, however. My football team in high school always had a few guys on it that never saw a single minute of time in the actual game. They were playfully nicknamed "coach" by those of us in the game because they usually ended up as coaches assistants, water and towel boys, game footage recorders, etc.

If I was a HS coach, I'd rather have a kid with limited talent but full of drive and hustle to come to practice everyday and bust their ass despite knowing they'd never see game time or (in a cheerleader's case) be part of the A-team than see a kid with tons of talent who half asses their way through practices and knows they're place is secure because: raw talent.

Big tata's or nice legs?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Acceptance onto the squad should be based upon participation and effort.

Not everyone can do flips and other physical feats.

But they can do cheers at least.

On the other hand. The cheer squad can mass quit and let the school deal with it. Might send a message.

Don't they have that cheer squad already?

The ones in the stands with the cardboard stuff?

Besides the one on the field. If you can't get out of your own way, why do u deserve to be on squad?

Buffarilla's need not apply. There's enough huffin and puffin on the field.

Kim sent his to the olympics.

edit on 5 10 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

edit on 5 10 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

That's what Spirit Club is for. They go around and decorate lockers and cars and make posters for the school and organize for pep rallies and all that. It's like cheerleading except you aren't on the field.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

That's what Spirit Club is for. They go around and decorate lockers and cars and make posters for the school and organize for pep rallies and all that. It's like cheerleading except you aren't on the field.

I'm good with that.

But, they don't have that here.

Too bad, when I was a kid we had a flag team too.

Everyone got something to do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join