It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea to Discontinue Missile Testing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well this is certainly good news if it pans out. The only source I have so far is Buzzfeed's LA Bureau Chief on Twitter:

Jon Passantino Verified account @passantino

Big news KCNA: Kim Jong Un announces North Korea's nuclear and ICBM rocket testing "will be discontinued” and the nuclear test site in the country’s north "will be discarded"

5:50 PM - 20 Apr 2018

KCNA is North Korea's state media, Korean Central News Agency. Looking for additional sources.

ETA:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Sputnik is breaking this for the English-speakers.

North Korea's Kim Jong Un: No More Need to Test Missiles, Nukes

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un declared that Pyongyang no longer has a need to continue ballistic missile and nuclear weapons testing, according to the state-run KCNA news agency.

The country's military will cease carrying out nuclear tests by April 21, according to a report released early on Saturday. The test site in Punggye-ri, North Korea's only publicly known nuclear weapons testing facility, "will shut down" in order "to prove the vow to suspend nuclear tests," Kim said.

Pyongyang "will join international efforts to halt nuclear tests altogether," Kim is quoted as saying.

The decision was reached by the ruling Worker's Party of Korea at a meeting on Friday, KCNA reports.

edit on 2018-4-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I wonder. Did Pompeo make some sort of back door deal?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Cool. I wonder what happened behind the scenes.?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Makes sense after their "facilities" were blown sky high by guess who.

USGS: 6.3-magnitude 'explosion' in N. Korea

Bye-Bye Miss American Pie 😎

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Or is he making sweet mood music before his historic meeting with the President following Trumps statements a couple of days ago.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
You know, I think Kim Jung Un is sizing us up as a meal ticket, and an added bit of Prosperity to boot. Americans have always been quick to forgive and forget, and we might just feel like we have freed a nation and shower them with necessities previously unknown by all but just a few.

President Trump will also be able to add a feather to his/our 'Make America Great' hat. Win, win. China will come round on the tariff thing I believe, and Putin's just waiting to have good relations with the US again......'my opinion'. Again win, win

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Possibly a multilateral deal of some sort involving China and Russia as well. I think it's been over a month now since Kim Jong Un said he'd be willing to suspend missile tests for talks so it's not exactly out of the blue but it's interesting that they'd go ahead and make a formal announcement in good faith.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
WHAT if Worldwide Peace broke out ......?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

It was the K-pop concert in Pyongyang.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
WHAT if Worldwide Peace broke out ......?

I think it would mean the last of us had taken their final breath.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
There was a second tweet with more of the statement:

Kim: “The suspension of nuclear testing is an important process for global nuclear disarmament, and the DPRK will join international efforts and efforts to halt the nuclear test altogether."

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Tin foil hat time: Remember the "cave in" at the nuclear test site? It was not reported immediately. Another 100 rushed in to help dig out the survivors. What if it was not the survivors they were charging in to save but Glorious Leader??!

What if the Kim Jong Un we are dealing with is one of his body doubles and the "backdoor deal" was this, "We know you are not who you claim you are. You disarm, immediately. Or we tell the world that there is no leader, Glorious or otherwise, running the country."

This is ATS and it is Friday...

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
They must of got pictures of him doing the ghey.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Does this mean they will rejoin the NPT?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
There's also this from yesterday.

North Korea has dropped its long-held demand that the United States withdraw forces from South Korea in exchange for denuclearization, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Thursday.

The United States has about 28,000 troops stationed in South Korea, a presence that has long irked North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

However, in the burgeoning spirit of openness and diplomacy, Moon said Kim is willing to give up US troops' removal as a precondition for discussions over denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.

Linky
edit on 20-4-2018 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Its the beginning of the end.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
And Kim comes off as a Champion for Peace.

I think when Kim came to power when his father died, we all hoped that change and Peace would come to the Korean peninsula. I know I held out hope.. And we might be surprised to find "Be sure what you wish for, You might just get it"

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Will Ripley is the reporter on CNN reporting this right now.

All I can think of is "believe it or not".......

Weird.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Does this mean they will rejoin the NPT?

I would imagine so.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Maybe round boy was given notice to watch the TV regarding Syria and check out how quickly the US+coalition of the willing can unleash the warpigs when given the right 'scenario'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join