It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeopath “treated” 4-yr-old boy’s behavior problems with saliva from rabid dog

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
A Canadian mother thought that giving her son rabid canine spit would turn her demon-child into an angel. Some kids have behavior problems, there's no denying that. My personal experience is that many (if not most) parents are to blame for the majority of problems getting their children to "act" the way they expect them to behave. But, children are just small humans with their own brains trying to establish their place in this crazy world- it takes time to learn enough from experience to be able to understand what is appropriate behavior. And, even then, children will express their free-will and intentionally go against what their parents require of them.

There are some brain disorders that might make little Johnny throw tantrums when you tell him it is time to take a nap, but, more often than not, Johnny just doesn't want to miss out on anything even if he is tired and needs to sleep. What should parents do to get their children to behave? Certainly not what this "Homeopath" was doing.

Ars Technica Source

“Hair of the dog” remedies may do the trick for some hangover sufferers. But health experts say that a Canadian homeopath took the idea too far—way, way too far. Homeopath and naturopath Anke Zimmermann used diluted saliva from a rabid dog to “treat” a four-year-old boy, according to a blog post she published earlier this year. Zimmermann claims that the potentially infectious and deadly concoction successfully resolved the boy’s aggressive behavior, which she described as a “slightly rabid-dog state.”

The tale fits with the scientifically implausible principles of homeopathy. These roughly state that substances that produce similar symptoms of a particular ailment can cure said ailment (“like cures like”) and that diluting a substance increases its potency (“law of infinitesimals”).

Homeopathic drivel The lengthy post unleashed the months-long saga of four-year-old Jonah. The boy presented with aggression and sleeping troubles, according to Zimmermann. He was said to be violent, easily angered, and known for growling at people. He also suffered from fears and nightmares of werewolves, wolves, zombies, and ghosts. When Zimmermann asked him how he feels when he growls, she said that the four-year-old responded: “Like there is a tornado inside me. My spirit is a hurricane!” Zimmermann quickly sniffed out the source of the problem: when Jonah was younger, a dog bit him. That is, Jonah’s mother said that one time a dog accidentally “broke the skin slightly” on Jonah’s hand while it was reaching to get food Jonah was holding.

A bite from an animal, with or without rabies vaccination, has the potential to imprint an altered state in the person who was bitten, in some ways similar to a rabies infection. This can include over-excitability, difficulties sleeping, aggression, and various fears, especially of dogs or wolves. This child presented a perfect picture of this type of rabies state. Most homeopaths would have easily recognized the remedy required in this case.

I have tried Homeopathic "remedies", and I know a few people that use them and would rather die than be treated by "Western Medicine" doctors. Honestly, I thought that these homeopathic cure-all's were completely bunk. But, now I believe that their effectiveness (if any) comes primarily from the INTENT of the person taking the substance. Sometimes what I tried worked, and even worked well, but usually I noticed absolutely no change in whatever symptom I was trying to alleviate.

I'd be interested in hearing:

1. What do you think about Homeopathy? What are your experiences with it?

2. What should happen (if anything) to the woman for treating her child with dog drool? Is it child-abuse or neglect?

3. How have you dealt with a child's behavior issues?

Read more about this at the SOURCE

Certain conditions such as headaches, arthritis, and hot flashes are the most responsive to placebos
Placebos have the human brain cannot deal with conflicting information unless it can be integrated the brain picks one side of the conflict, and then suppresses everything that does not fit with that dominant belief

The average placebo effect is 33%, though it can range lower and higher The U.S. Dept of Health reports that 50% of severely depressed people get better if they take an antidepressant like Prozac This same agency also reports that 32% of depressed people get better if they take a sugar pill they THINK is an antidepressant

Studies have shown that placebos are effective in 50 or 60 percent of subjects with certain conditions Studies analyzed 39 studies, done between 1974 and 1995, of depressed patients treated with drugs, psychotherapy, or a combination of both-> found that 50 % of the drug effect is due to the placebo response 75% of the effectiveness of anti-depressant medication is due to the placebo-effect rather than the treatment itself

Placebo effects can arise not only from a conscious belief in a drug but also from subconscious associations between recovery and the experience of being treated
edit on 4182018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

What lunatic tries to intentionally give their child rabies? I'm not a big proponent of people having their children taken from them but this guy is mental.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Homeopathy is the air guitar of medicine.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

What lunatic tries to intentionally give their child rabies? I'm not a big proponent of people having their children taken from them but this guy is mental.

Alternative medicine people(which would just be called medicine of it worked), anti-vaxxers, homeopaths, naturopaths, and other quacks.
edit on 18 4 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Like cures like?

Next time I burn my hand on the stove I’ll just shove my arm in the oven. Should work great.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Next time I burn my hand on the stove I’ll just shove my arm in the oven. Should work great.

My tum-tum hurts, can you punch me in the liver?

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

This is my new favourite description of homeopathy.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I think that one case is the exception and not the rule.

Such minority views are very much steering public perception these days all across the full scope of current topics.

By design such will end everyone and everything if continued.

I also think that if you make antibiotics at home then that could be labeled as homeopathy....

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

My tum-tum hurts, can you punch me in the liver?

Only if we can knife fight next time I have heartburn.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Also where in the world does one find a rabid dog?

I thought they were outlawed.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
There needs to be a homeopathic remedy for stupidity.
This story makes my brain hurt.
Poor kid.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

Such minority views are very much steering public perception these days all across the full scope of current topics.

I also think that if you make antibiotics at home then that could be labeled as homeopathy....

Antibiotics are nothing to do homeopathy. Homemade or not.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

opossum milk
or willow bark

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat

For what it's worth, I was prescribed a homeopathic preparation (Eyebright) by a naturopath to deal with a periodic eye thing. I use it...it goes away.
Rabies? Naw, I'd take a pass.

a reply to: AccessDenied

opossum milk
or willow bark

Willow bark...eases pain and reduces fevers. Known by First Nations and a natural source for salicylic acid...used in aspirin. Opossum Milk? You can milk those critters?
edit on 18-4-2018 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

is that your official opinion there mr. genius?

So if i grow my own garlic or make some liquid silver then i am a freakin medical student?

How about if i actually make some penicillin? is my house to be considered a laboratory

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Only if we can knife fight next time I have heartburn.

Done. Severing your aorta will instantly minimize the effects of heartburn.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

So if i grow my own garlic or make some liquid silver then i am a freakin medical student?

How about if i actually make some penicillin? is my house to be considered a laboratory

None of those things is homeopathy either.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I agree for the most part but then again I've seen the results of chemo.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

None of those things is homeopathy either.

oh i see we are dealing with a war of words here... one where people say one thing but mean another...

ho·me·op·a·thy
ˌhōmēˈäpəTHē/Submit
noun
the treatment of disease by minute doses of natural substances that in a healthy person would produce symptoms of disease.

so the most widely known example of homeopathy is........VACCINES by definition.

oh how quaint
edit on 18-4-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join