It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army veteran who served two tours in Afghanistan has been deported to Mexico

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

edit on 25-3-2018 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2018 by DrumsRfun because: wrong thread

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Ya, good enough to possibly die for the country, but not good enough to keep/stay when through with you..IT STINKS.
Since the Romans..serving was the path to citizenship.

Did he Apply Legally to become a U.S. Citizen ? If not , I do not get where you are going here .

It's really simple, he served in the military defending Americans and American interests.

He deserves citizenship as he earned it with blood and sweat.

There is still a process that has to be completed.
It's not very difficult for a service member to gain citizenship.

I've served with quite a few guys who gained their citizenship while I was stationed with them.

It sounds like there are key parts of this story being left out.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

If he committed crimes prior to potential citizenship, then it's on his shoulders. No, not military prison. He's likely happier being free in his original country and we've saved the Pesos.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Possibly, in fact we can be sure facts are being left out.

Still if veterans want to be treated better you all need to stick together and demand better treatment for all veterans. Otherwise nothing will change, at this point even bona-fide American veterans are treated like garbage after they serve their country.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Sounds like the military just used him. I'm sure the military could have easily identified if he didn't have legal citizenship. Yet the military still allowed him to enlist?? So this guy serves two tours in Afghanistan, that alone should automatically declare him a U.S. citizen!

How many veterans have served this country and have come home with PTSD? Many of them don't receive the necessary help they need. I agree, this soldier should be treated here in the United States not deported to Mexico.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I think that if the guy can show proof that he received PTSD from his combat actions through treatment at a VA facility, then there should be some leniency on his case. On the other hand I don't feel he should get a free pass on the felony drug charge just because he served in the military. While he was in didn't he try and apply for citizenship?

Then there was this:

"After the second tour, there was more alcohol and that was also when I tried some drugs," Perez said last month. "But the addiction really started after I got back to Chicago, when I got back home, because I did not feel very sociable."

So he was using drugs before he left military service? How did he get out?

Then there was this tid bit:

Perez has said he was surprised to be in ICE detention and mistakenly believed that enlisting in the Army would automatically give him US citizenship, according to his lawyer, Chris Bergin. His retroactive application for citizenship was denied earlier this month. While there are provisions for expediting troops' naturalization process, a main requirement is that the applicant demonstrate "good moral character," and the drug conviction was enough to sway the decision against his application, Bergin said.

So he wasn't in good moral character, but still we should feel sorry for the guy because?

Maybe he was a good soldier:

Perez enlisted in the Army in 2001, just months before 9/11. He served in Afghanistan from October 2002 to April 2003 and again from May to October 2003, according to his lawyer. He left the Army in 2004 with a general discharge after he was caught smoking marijuana on base

Oh I guess not, but maybe he was an ok guy after he left:

In 2010, he was convicted in Cook County, Illinois, on charges related to delivering more than 2 pounds of coc aine to an undercover officer. He was sentenced to 15 years, and had served half his sentence when ICE began deportation proceedings. He had been in the agency's custody since 2016.

So I'm not seeing why this guy who really didn't want to follow the rules in the Army, couldn't get US Citizenship while in, and couldn't stay clean when he got out should get any simpathy for being departed. It sounds to me that the only reason he even joined in the first place was that he thought he would be granted a freeby citizenship.

I'm not going to fault the guy in this case, I'm going to fault the Army Recruiter for allowing this guy to join, and for the media for trying to make this guy a pillar of "Whats wrong in the Country today" issue. While I do feel that a person who decides to serve in the military should get a US Citizneship apon recieving an Honorable Discharge, this guy couldn't even get that.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
If he is not an American citizen, fighting for and being paid by the US military, would that make him a mercenary?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: Irishhaf

OK he screwed up by not taking the test , still he deserves better treatment, all veterans do.... To me this shows how little the government actually cares about veterans whether they are American or not.

Nope the rules are in place for a reason so the question that needs to be asked is what did he do that makes him more special than every other immigrant that served, deployed and still had to test.

A really important question I haven't seen answered (admittedly I haven't looked that hard) was he honest with the military about his immigration status? Cause I would wager if they knew he would have been counseled about what he wanted to do and how to achieve it.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
As sad as this is, the reality is that this is not so shocking as many would think.

There are hundreds of vets in 20 different countries, going from Vietnam all of the way to present who served, got out and then were deported.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Ahh, see. This all makes sense now.

He was sh*t bird. Screw him.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
how can this be real?

how could this guy pass a background check or security clearance?

I'm calling bs.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The biggest issue is why is the US military enlisting non-citizens?

That leaves SEVERAL back doors open for untold abuse.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
how can this be real?

how could this guy pass a background check or security clearance?

I'm calling bs.

Not everyone needed a security clearance back then. And as long as that background check didn't turn up any past felonies or pending legal actions you were accepted.

I know guys that crashed stolen police cars into gas stations and blew them up that are Officers now.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Oh, he did sell a kilo of coc aine to an undercover officer as well.

So there is that.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Being a veteran is not license to break the law.

This guy is a criminal.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
problem is you have to put forth an effort,if you didn't put forth the effort must not of wanted to be a citizen

I'd consider 2 tours ample effort and since he had to actually sign and say "yes, I will die for this country if needed" he should be granted automatic citizenship. Any application requirements post-combat should be taken care of by the US military.

The US government is an absolute shocker when it comes to the treatment of post-combat vets.

500 years ago, if a stranger came and fought for a village, the elders would make him/her an honorary citizen - because he/she helped keep the children safe - children being the only real asset to ensure the survivability of the species.

500 years ago, twelve was a ripe old age to be married to a guy twice the age.
And it was legal and acceptable.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

edit on 3/25/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Why can a non-citizen enlist?

I don't like deporting someone who risked their life twice in combat for us.

PTSD isn't an excuse for selling coke though.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl
Seriously. I was just thinking the same thing.
If you aren't a citizen... maybe you shouldn't be allowed to join the military. That's pretty simple.
Or... if it's like the French Foreign Legion... if you fight for France.. you're French. If you're wounded... you're 'French by spilled blood.' even if you don't finish your enlistment. Spill blood for the country... you're part of it.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

What a shame! He earned it... and if someone should be punished, whoever let him serve should be.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join