It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army veteran who served two tours in Afghanistan has been deported to Mexico

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
www.thebalance.com...

Undocumented immigrants may not enlist in the U.S. military.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ok Fox did some actual reporting so there's less speculation. Man CNN is such garbage.

Fox

Perez was born in Mexico, but grew up in Chicago, and was a legal permanent resident when he joined the Army in 2001. He said he mistakenly thought he became a legal U.S. citizen when he enlisted.

Perez is one of thousands of green card-holding veterans who face deportation, according to the Ashley’s Memory Project, which was started by a local church and the immigrant mother of a deceased veteran. There are also numerous veterans who have been deported and are fighting to return to the U.S.

Very interesting.

Now how the hell is this going on?

Totally incompetent people running the government.

I will say however that legal residence here is typically contingent upon now breaking our laws.

So this is a tough one but veterans should not be deported.

Also I would like to point out, who or how exactly do you get a kilo of coc aine?
edit on 25-3-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Why can a non-citizen enlist?

I enlisted before becoming a citizen. I was a permanent resident alien(green card holder) when I joined.

This guy did not do his citizenship paperwork. I did.

I too deployed to combat.

I did NOT sell a key of coke to an undercover cop. He did.

Some people(not saying you but certainly people in this thread) seem to think that service in war should be a get out of jail free card. I don't know who this guy thinks he is but if he thinks he's going to beat the system on sympathy points then he's in for a rude awakening.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Ok Fox did some actual reporting so there's less speculation. Man CNN is such garbage.

Fox

Perez was born in Mexico, but grew up in Chicago, and was a legal permanent resident when he joined the Army in 2001. He said he mistakenly thought he became a legal U.S. citizen when he enlisted.

Perez is one of thousands of green card-holding veterans who face deportation, according to the Ashley’s Memory Project, which was started by a local church and the immigrant mother of a deceased veteran. There are also numerous veterans who have been deported and are fighting to return to the U.S.

Very interesting.

Now how the hell is this going on?

Totally incompetent people running the government.

I will say however that legal residence here is typically contingent upon now breaking our laws.

So this is a tough one but veterans should not be deported.

Also I would like to point out, who or how exactly do you get a kilo of coc aine?

Why are legal permanent residents being deported in the first place?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Sounds simple paper work should have been filled out at the same time as enlistment. 1.Follow the rules and your set.
Selling 2 pounds to under cover cop does not comply with rule 1.

Options . Allow him to become citizen then put him in prison for length of sentence.

stories.avvo.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Why are legal permanent residents being deported in the first place?

One of the stipulations of being a permanent alien resident is that you can't commit felonies. They will revoke your status and send you packing.

Permanent resident alien status is not a right. It's an administrative proving step for assimilation time for future citizens.

It can be revoked for criminal activity. Citizenship cannot.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

The guy had felony drug charges which automatically prevents him from obtaining citizenship so there's really no argument to be had.

However, I wanted to comment on your feelings about soldiers who serve active duty combat deployments. I've served through multiple active duty combat deployments and trust me there are dirt bags amongst the ranks. From privates to colonels. During my time I've seen no less than 12 instances of UCMJ actions taken against soldiers for a myriad of reasons.

Just because a soldier serves on multiple combat tours does not mean he/she should be given a free pass.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I see....thx.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
im genuinely split on this one.

lots of good points on both sides.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

If you completed basic training, and then went to Afghanistan, you already put forth an effort, rather a significant one. I can think of no moral, ethical or logical grounds which suggest that a person willing to lay down their lives in combat on behalf of a nations citizens, ought to be received upon return from war as anything other than a citizen themselves. I would wager that this person has done more to prove their loyalty to the concept of America, than many natural born citizens who did not go to Afghanistan.

The man did the work, he just did not get treated as if he had done it.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Illegal immigrants do serve in our armed forces, and do so with the complete knowledge of the military. It isn't a secret.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Holy crap. Why in the hell don't we just immediately grant citizenship for recruits after a certain period of time? I just assumed that was a thing. I couldn't imagine signing up to risk my life for some nation and not be considered one of them afterward. Total bs.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
2 Felonies for coc aine sales to a undercover officer. As one who suffers from PTSD I can say I never thought of becoming a drug dealer or mule because of it, maybe that's just me. Hmmm I'm not finding any pity in this story.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

for committing felonies.....

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
He was caught delivering 2 pounds of coc aine to an undercover agent. Cocaine is considered a dangerous drug. If it was Cannabis (perfectly safe miracle herb), I would be on his side. He was sentenced to a lengthy 15 years. Look at the bright side, he got out early. More time than a murderer though. Mexico is a great place according to Jesse Ventura. But he has plenty of money.

Perez was convicted in 2010 of manufacturing or delivering more than two pounds of coc aine in Cook County, Illinois, and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

What Stinks ? An Illegal Alien Deported According to U.S. Laws . By the way , How can Illegals enter the U.S. Military without an SS Card ?....Hmm.....

He wasn't Illegal. He was a green card holder since the age of 11.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bg_socalif

What Stinks ? An Illegal Alien Deported According to U.S. Laws . By the way , How can Illegals enter the U.S. Military without an SS Card ?....Hmm.....

Who had his green card revoked for selling a key of blow to a cop.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Ya, good enough to possibly die for the country, but not good enough to keep/stay when through with you..IT STINKS.
Since the Romans..serving was the path to citizenship.

He'd been a green card holder since the age of 11. But he had not applied for citizenship, that's on him. Both his parents managed to become citizens. Then he violated his green card status by trafficking in coc aine (4.4 lbs). Veteran or not, that get's you deported.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: bg_socalif

Who had his green card revoked for selling a key of blow to a cop.

Yes i know. Hence his deportation.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Holy crap. Why in the hell don't we just immediately grant citizenship for recruits after a certain period of time? I just assumed that was a thing. I couldn't imagine signing up to risk my life for some nation and not be considered one of them afterward. Total bs.

If active duty military, citizenship can get expedited and not have the usual 5 yr wait period. But the service member has to apply for it. His parents became citizens and he had a chance to apply since the age of 11 as green card holder, but hadn't.

<< 1  2   >>

join