It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

any weird things you like to collect?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
there is a fantastic thread right now about bone music that has lit a spark of obsession in me. i will be thinking about this for weeks now.

it also got me thinking about what kinds of strange things people collect.

what are some of yours?

i really dont collect anything specific except for books and old medicine bottles. i still cant find a laudanum bottle but im looking.

i am big into the 'kitsch' style art.

lately i have been buying up old wedding photo's from the early 1900's when i find them at goodwill and at second hand stores. i really enjoy these things.

my most prized find which is not exactly rare but the Hercules and Diomedes statue i got at goodwill for 5 bucks. i looked up and had to have it.

i dont want to post mine but i can but here is a google search to images of that statue

www.google.com... &biw=1366&bih=629#imgrc=_

the rest is just mishmash stuff. trinkets and the like.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Washers and bolts off the street.

As a kid, I'd have full pockets of dusty rusty hardware that I kept.

Occasionally it came in handy when we tried to build forts and carts!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Clowns, bugs, animal bones, animal teeth, long animal toenails.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I like to collect little fossils. It's crazy the places you can find them for sale from books stores to flower shops and cheap!
My favourite piece i recieved as wedding present from an aunt. It's a serving platter that's made from a cross section of rock that's highly concentrated with marine fossils sanded and polish so as every square inch has somthing neat to look at it's roughly 20 inches long 9 inches wide and about 1.5inches thick it's really spectacular.

I have a few ammonite fossils as well, my favourite one had its shell replaced with opal.

a reply to: TinySickTears

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

OHH! I collect old medicine/bathroom bottles too. Thanks to my hoarder grandma and great grandma, I have some really neat old glass prescription bottles with their info on them. I even have an unopened old bottle of Ivy dry, still in the box.

I also collect just odd old stuff. I have a mouth harp, hanging on my wooden valance over the window, and other odd stuff I found in grandma's pole barn. I like stuff that makes people ask, "what is that?"

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

OHH! I collect old medicine/bathroom bottles too. Thanks to my hoarder grandma and great grandma, I have some really neat old glass prescription bottles with their info on them. I even have an unopened old bottle of Ivy dry, still in the box.

I also collect just odd old stuff. I have a mouth harp, hanging on my wooden valance over the window, and other odd stuff I found in grandma's pole barn. I like stuff that makes people ask, "what is that?"

i have a mouth harp jews harp or mouth harp harmonica?

i have a jews harp

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I used to collect postcards when I was a teenager. It's a pretty sizeable collection, I have around 1,000 from all over the world (a huge benefit of penpals was when they went on "holiday", I got kick-ass postcards from them)

I don't really collect anything any more, other than books.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

LOL Not a harmonica, but I just know it as a mouth harp. Shaped like a horseshoe, with a metal thing that sticks out of your mouth that you "twang"?

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I collected a lot of tools. What a stupid obsession.

Well, I have enough to set up four of my grandkids with four different businesses. I can watch them use them with a coffee cup in my hand. I suppose they won't have any interest in construcion, body work, farming, or woodworking. Oh well, I can always sell them.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

LOL Not a harmonica, but I just know it as a mouth harp. Shaped like a horseshoe, with a metal thing that sticks out of your mouth that you "twang"?

yup.
thats a jews harp

its called mouth harp too.
some people call the harmonica the mouth harp which is incorrect. its a mouth organ.
thats why i asked

its all very confusing cause the old time dudes would play their mouth organ but call it blowing harp

anyway

i have one to

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I have a collection of various things but weird? Hmmm...can't think of anything weird. Cool thread!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I got a garage full of other peoples throw away junk.

Only in America. Some if it will find its way back to circulation. Some of it will return to landfill from whence it came, some will be refined and made into something else.

Its all good.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I collect a lot of what's considered "Steam Punk"
Antique pocket watches, old hats, bracelets and such.
My favourite thing I have purchased is a pair of WW2 Navy aviator goggles.
Cost me $200 at an antique store. But worth every penny.
They came in the original box, have the original papers, even have an extra set of green lenses I could pop in.
I also picked up one you might like OP,
It's a nasal spray bottle. I can't remember the name of it, but it has a little pump on the side, 2 copper lines go down into the body. Pretty cool looking.
If I was at home I'd post some pics.
Another beautiful find, was an Ivory knife.
Now don't get me wrong. I'm not supporting killing elephants or anything.
This antique dealer had a bunch of ivory art left over from when it was still legal....years back.
This knife is about 7-8 inches and has little elephants, carverd all along the back of the blade.
The intricacies on it is amazing.
Each elephant is holding the tail of the elephant in front of it.

Come to think of it, I have quite a few neat finds.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
ex's

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

Had to star it.

No matter what, we all end up with a collection of idiot exs at the end of the day.

Too bad we can't pack em up and store em in the basement to be found many, many, many years from now. Lol jk.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Trump campaign memorabilia. Political anything from posters, buttons, tshirts anything from any party any candidate, local or national.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Unattended children.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Coins from historical eras.

Revolutionary War era coins.
Civil War coins.
WWII foreign coins. (Nazi coins)
Pirate coins.
Spanish silver doubloons.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Army men, all kinds, also Cowboys and Injuns. I have dozens of packages that I have never opened even. Every time I go to a store that has them, I buy a bag or two.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I don't know that I have a specific thing but like some others I like to pick up the odd tool from the roadside. My old boyfriends thought I was nuts when I'd yell "pull over!!" and jump out at a stop sign and grab a socket, screwdriver or whatever was left behind from a breakdown. I guess I like old tools and such. My family wound up with most of Dad's hand tools (still kinda pissed off)...but I hid a few back!
My Dad used to do that, he'd take off walking and come home with his pockets loaded and sometimes a grocery sack full of stuff.
I have rocks and feathers and different things that I've run across that just 'spoke to me' at the moment and I put them in a safe space.
I have my Dad's old stamp collection that he started when he was a kid, he was born in 1924. Some really cool stuff in there.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join