It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assassination attempt on former Russian spy in the UK , The Cold War Returns

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yes, it is a tricky one.

I remember an old Punch cartoon where we released laughing gas into the Politburo's box as the Mayday parade went past in Red Square.

Sorry, always found that funny.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Prior to Trump this story would have been all over this site, the reason it isn’t is this has become a far right and white board

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword

Prior to Trump this story would have been all over this site, the reason it isn’t is this has become a far right and white board

Yes, don't forget the knuckle dragging daily mail readers.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword

Its hard not to agree with this comment.

even if you just look at the pro-russia line many are taking.

Back when I joined ATS if you tried to argue that Putin was the victim in something like this you would have been laughed at, now it is entertained as a serious point. Changing times I Guess.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I wonder if there is a possibility he poisoned himself and his daughter?
"Hey, we gave you a safe place to live, for another couple of million, will you take this? We will stick you with atropine before it's too late."

I only say that because I can't see a point in doing it for the Russians. There isn't an upside for them.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr X

I suppose Daily Star and Mirror readers all have PHD's?

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

So why did they do Litvinenko, then? They must have thought there was an upside in that.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I only say that because I can't see a point in doing it for the Russians. There isn't an upside for them.

Makes Putin look strong during a election.
Stop him disclosing further information.
A warning to others not to defect as Russia can get you anywhere at any time.
Revenge for something not yet in the public domain.
To intimidate Britain.

I can think of a few reasons and I am pretty sure that SIS/MI5 and SO15 can think up a few more.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Glad to see you do have a sense of humour after all.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
There have been 14 suspicious deaths of people in Britain connected with Russia in recent years ,
as well as the man and his daughter a policeman that helped them is also in hospital but is supposed to be getting better.
Vladimir obviously has a hit squad in the UK and I really hope the authorities get the person or persons responsible.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Makes Putin look strong during a election.
Stop him disclosing further information.
A warning to others not to defect as Russia can get you anywhere at any time.
Revenge for something not yet in the public domain.
To intimidate Britain.

I can think of a few reasons and I am pretty sure that SIS/MI5 and SO15 can think up a few more.

There is zero chance of Putin losing an election. He doesn't need to look good and the downsides are pretty onerous aren't they?
Disruption to the World cup, tightening of sanctions etc. Russia starting to look like a rogue state.

The punishment I don't buy as they have history of leaving swapped spies alone.

A warning? Maybe...Certainly a possibility and ties in with the revenge thing.

I just reckon on balance, he seems small fry for the Russians to take such an international hit over.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

So the question remains, why did they hit Litvinenko? Which they did.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
So the question remains, why did they hit Litvinenko? Which they did.

Because the Russians saw him as a traitor. Not only did he expose the depths of criminal corruption in Russia and the fact it went right to the top, he was a critic of the regime he decided to work for MI5 after he left Russia. The Russian's felt he was better dead than alive, and thus he was assassinated. He knowe too much of the links between Russian politicians and criminal corruption.

Remember Litvinenko's death was very nearly unexplained until someone decided to have a look for radioactivity. The Russians so very nearly got away with it.
edit on 8/3/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Yes - I entirely agree with you, but I was putting my question in response to Sprocket's post where he was saying why would the Russians have risked it in this case.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
They'd already saved face with this guy, he had been tried and sentenced before getting swapped for Russians.

Litvinenko had merely defected so left them looking like he got one over on them.

a reply to: oldcarpy

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I suppose we can only wait and see how this pans out.

By the way, the bringing a knife on a date thing? Carving lovers' names on trees is a donkey's year old tradition so is it not surprising that people do bring knives to do just that? Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

They had a better chance of getting to him after leaving him for a few years, his house wasn’t too far away from the main local police station that has been closed now for a few years

Don’t forget he was exchanged and they might have gritted their teeth in doing so as they wanted their own deep sleeper spy’s back

At the moment the police have cordoned off the main cemetery here and IMO they are exhuming the body of his wife and son for toxicology tests

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Intersting, you do raise some valid points but I still think that for me when I look at all of this I still suspect direct involvement of the Russian government as the number one suspect in this assassination attempt.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I know about the tradition it was just a humorous observationi read and borrowed.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Fair enough. I just had a bored moment!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join