It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa slams Elon Musk’s SpaceX for launching a Tesla car into the heavens

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

Also... putting a Tesla on Mars may be a gimmick to some, but it could give regular people a clue to the climate and how something regular as a car would react to the air.

All I’m saying is there may be more to it. That could also be in part why NASA is truly pissed... exposure

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Space X just pulled one of the greatest engineers feat of all time, I guess someone is jealous.

Was it a great PR stunt? Sure.

One of the greatest engineers feat of all time? Not really.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   

So nasa is blaming Elon for the pollution in space that nasa has caused? Plus I thought the tesla wasn't orbiting earth and it was going to travel through the asteroid belt?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   
NASA want to claim space for them self..

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
This does not make any sense:

(a) it was a dummy load, every new rocket has one to not lose more money (by exploding satelite) if the rocket itself is destroyey on take-off
(b) it will not stay in any kind of earth-centered orbit More info
(c) it is not Nasa's job to tell people what to put in space, or is it?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Space X just pulled one of the greatest engineers feat of all time, I guess someone is jealous.

Totally agree.

Not only that but Tesla got people excited about a rocket launch, about space. When was the last time NASA really captured the public excitement? They even managed to lose it during the Apollo missions.

The money they’ve had over the years, we should be on Mars. I bet they’ll want Tesla’s data about the Van Allen belts.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Some of the replies in this thread are pretty harsh. Yes, NASA is a government entity that spends a lot of money but without it, Space-X wouldn't even exist. Not to mention all of the things that have come from NASA that's part of our everyday life. Look
it up, you'll be surprised by what you find. What's different between Musk and NASA is that Musk has to earn his income and so launching a car is a great PR stunt. At least his space junk becomes part of an asteroid belt eventually.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Shes not wrong..

She is actually.

First launches of new rockets tend to have terrible failure rates.

SpaceX made the sensible decision to test the rocket using a payload of no importance.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
and presents a needless threat to other space traffic.

No it wont as its not in earths orbit, its in the suns orbit..... that a extremely large area.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ARM1968

Totally agree.

Not only that but Tesla got people excited about a rocket launch, about space. When was the last time NASA really captured the public excitement? They even managed to lose it during the Apollo missions.

The money they’ve had over the years, we should be on Mars. I bet they’ll want Tesla’s data about the Van Allen belts.

I guess you weren't around when the first shuttle went up and came back. That is one of the most memorable events of my lifetime. More so than landing on the moon. It was such an incredible feat of engineering. I wish they had built a second generation.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
If Elon feels the need to send another red Tesla roadster into space, there is plenty of space in my garage that he could send one to anytime he wishes.

The only people that mission may upset would be the 'keeping up with the Joneses' neighbours.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Reydelsol

And this meams there will be no additional debris the size of a car free floating in our solar system?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Thats what happens when you are that rich. Its called "F___ You" money.
When you're so rich if people say, hey thats illegal, you can say "F U".

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

‘We have to figure out how to work closely, how to move forward in a collaborative posture so we don’t have another red Roadster up there in orbit.’

yea except the roadster was orbiting only for short time before leaving in the direction of asteroid belt...

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'm going to have to disagree right there. NASA has done "zip" to the public viewing. NASA is Peanut Butter and Jealous over Elon Musk and his integrity to deliver on his promises.

Who owns space? Not NASA-as they put almost all the space debris in orbit *Cough*great Job Lisa Pratt, Nasa’s planetary protection officer"Cough (end sarcasm).
That car in orbit, if it were to fall back onto Earth, would burn up before hitting grandma walking to the grocery.
We need more people to sell SPACE! THE GREAT SPACE RACE!!! LETS GET UP THERE AND COLONIZE!!! CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS!!! Elon Musk is a pioneer, when you have to break walls down first yourself, its gonna hurt, yet you give opportunity for others.
Fu** space debris, they should have flown it into the sun if NASA was sooooooo concerned about that bulls** of a lie.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

And tell me, in five hundred years, six hundred, a thousand, do you think that we will still be messing around in our planetary front yard, or do you think we will have begun expansion? When expansion really kicks in hard, do you think that we will be more or less likely to encounter objects we have flung out for a laugh?

Not doing stupid things now, is not about protecting the next three, or ten, or fifty launches from whatever we throw out there. Its about protecting the entire future of spaceflight, not just in our immediate vicinity, but throughout the entire solar system, and eventually beyond! Now, as of right now, our situation with regard to the space which is outside our solar system, is really good. We have one, maybe two objects that are even headed for the edge of our solar system.

But effective, efficient and responsible deployment of materials, regardless of its into orbit around our planet, or around other bodies, or indeed just catapulting around inside our solar system, is something we have to start getting right, IMMEDIATELY, with NO allowances for frivolity or silliness. We have already made our immediate vicinity a trash heap of epic proportions, which already poses a threat to operations near our planet. Accepting this Tesla action on the basis that it is not our planets orbit it effects, is like saying that dropping trash in your neighbours yard is perfectly fine. Its not.

Some people are not thinking about these things in long enough timescales. In my estimation, we have to think about the entire potential future of the human race, when we throw ANYTHING into space. Throwing up random gear that serves no purpose, by the way, into the solar system, regardless of the amount of space there is out there to occupy with our rubbish, is NOT responsible and WILL pose a threat to future space traffic, whether that traffic is on its way past Mars or into its orbit, and that is not a risk worth taking, for the small reward of having a Tesla Roadster in space.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
That car & dummy guy come back in a few hundred years to take over the planet....ala Star Trek.....NASA will be there to say " I told you so".......if I remember correct, that was one attractive bald women/robot or whatever the hell she was.

I would steer clear of Elon Musk......megalomaniac of biblical proportions.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
NASA want to claim space for them self..

NASA is God didn't you know?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GraffikPleasure

Also... putting a Tesla on Mars may be a gimmick to some, but it could give regular people a clue to the climate and how something regular as a car would react to the air.

All I’m saying is there may be more to it. That could also be in part why NASA is truly pissed... exposure

For a Company 'NASA' who's beginnings consisted of ex Nazi's they've done well with Public money. When it comes to being Numero Uno, they won't allow any squeeze room from anyone onto their turf. It doesn't come across as an Organization that shares well. People if anyone, deserve a say in where the billions of dollars go.

operation paperclip
edit on 2-3-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

And tell me, in five hundred years, six hundred, a thousand, do you think that we will still be messing around in our planetary front yard, or do you think we will have begun expansion? When expansion really kicks in hard, do you think that we will be more or less likely to encounter objects we have flung out for a laugh?

i don't think you get how big space is and the amount of space around the suns orbit, especially a orbit that strethes to the asteroid belt.
Even all the material in the solar system would not fill that space.

And we know exactly where that object is anyhow.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join