It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa slams Elon Musk’s SpaceX for launching a Tesla car into the heavens

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Shes not wrong..

Huh? She's very wrong.

Collaboration works, when everyone has equal input. Leave it to NASA and we're still pointing dishes up at the sky and wondering why they wont talk to us.

Sending things up there, we open doorways to new avenues of pointing dishes up at the sky. Not the same old waiting game, but stepping closer to actually seeing things done.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

a reply to: Reydelsol

And this means there will be no additional debris the size of a car free floating in our solar system?

The sheer size of the solar system and the amount of space between the sun and the asteroid belt (where the car will pass near) is so massive that entire argument is irrelevant. You could crush down the entire earth and it would not fill a fraction of that space.

The sheer size scale is like a simple loose atom on a football field.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: GraffikPleasure
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

What we the people need are things that will improve our way of life and species.

-How about cheaper travel to LEO
- Mining asteroids, there are sssooo many around our planet that are rich in materials, ive been reading this book called “Soonish” that describes I of of thousands of asteroids that orbit us that has more ... I think iron?.. than the entire earth. That just one!
-better space facilities, ability to live self sufficiently in space for upwards of years.
- solar energy collection
-ways to terraform earth in case of an event
-and obviously, space exploration, personally, at this point, I think should be last, because the other things mentioned all go towards exploration.

If NASA can learn to share Space with others, we'll get there, sooner than later. It's about time we saw something solid, and not talking about more pretty pictures of rocks.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

NASA has become the nerd who says "Aww You can't do that, mathematically it is impossible, you can't x times y and then subtract a negative.. Guffaw, you are an idiot."

Musk, for all it's worth, is that kid who said "Well, lets see.. if I multiply x by y and subtract a POSITIVE... hey, I did it!..."

and so, here we are, he has done more with his last effort than I've seen NASA do in history.. sure they brought people back from the moon, we've even seen the movies about how they almost lost a crew.

Musk has done the unthinkable... rockets that take off, then land again. Intact.

This is a new age, NASA is an abacus...

this is the new era of space flight.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

No?

I beg to differ.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: ARM1968

originally posted by: Nickn3
Space X just pulled one of the greatest engineers feat of all time, I guess someone is jealous.

Totally agree.

Not only that but Tesla got people excited about a rocket launch, about space. When was the last time NASA really captured the public excitement? They even managed to lose it during the Apollo missions.

The money they’ve had over the years, we should be on Mars. I bet they’ll want Tesla’s data about the Van Allen belts.

I guess you weren't around when the first shuttle went up and came back. That is one of the most memorable events of my lifetime. More so than landing on the moon. It was such an incredible feat of engineering. I wish they had built a second generation.

Well NASA has a bit of a record of blowing people up.

but a a bad track record too. almost losing people, blowing people up.

other than that, floating around the planet.

It's one thing to send them up here and bring them back in a huge safety jacket... it's another to pioneer the way to keep things going to and fro.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Thats what happens when you are that rich. Its called "F___ You" money.
When you're so rich if people say, hey thats illegal, you can say "F U".

It says that when you are that rich, NO organisation owns what you can explore.

Illegal??? blah.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Reydelsol

And tell me, in five hundred years, six hundred, a thousand, do you think that we will still be messing around in our planetary front yard, or do you think we will have begun expansion? When expansion really kicks in hard, do you think that we will be more or less likely to encounter objects we have flung out for a laugh?

ugh.... stay in your 2 bedroom home and keep the telly on.

safer that way.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Shes not wrong..

She complains about space pollution...I get it, tons of satellites orbiting earth all posing increasing difficulty for new missions to navigate around all this junk...and it would have been a good point had the car been in orbit around earth.

Now if Musk starts doing stuff like orbiting around earth cars, chariots, a santa and reindeer, etc...then she would have a point (although it would be awesome if he did those things...a giant golden chariot...)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

What we the people need are things that will improve our way of life and species.

-How about cheaper travel to LEO
- Mining asteroids, there are sssooo many around our planet that are rich in materials, ive been reading this book called “Soonish” that describes I of of thousands of asteroids that orbit us that has more ... I think iron?.. than the entire earth. That just one!
-better space facilities, ability to live self sufficiently in space for upwards of years.
- solar energy collection
-ways to terraform earth in case of an event
-and obviously, space exploration, personally, at this point, I think should be last, because the other things mentioned all go towards exploration.

If NASA can learn to share Space with others, we'll get there, sooner than later. It's about time we saw something solid, and not talking about more pretty pictures of rocks.

What would you want pictures of? the lush rainforests of mars?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Also... putting a Tesla on Mars may be a gimmick to some, but it could give regular people a clue to the climate and how something regular as a car would react to the air.

All I’m saying is there may be more to it. That could also be in part why NASA is truly pissed... exposure

Air?

the space air?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Of course they're mad. They have valid competition now. One that isn't paid for by the people.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Musk wants a rivalry in order to stimulate some new space race.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a plan by the two organizations (X and Nasa) to pretend to be rivals, increasing over time to petty bickering, in order to stimulate todays snapchat attention span pwned culture to become interested in all of it through such bickering and sports team cheering....makes perfect sense actually.

I'll play along. Sure, why not. Go team X!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Shes not wrong..

Ummm...the idiot is wrong...the final stage performed so well that the tesla roadster is headed to the asteroid belt...well beyond Mars orbit...

I hardly think we need worry about it polluting the skies of Earth...

As others have stated...NASA has a jealousy problem...why couldn't they re-land...re-use their boosters...?

YouSir

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
...why couldn't they re-land...re-use their boosters...?

Cause ULA (lockheed and Boeing) would lose there cash cow to milk.
edit on 2-3-2018 by Reydelsol because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Shes not wrong..

She might not be right either!

Since when has NASA become the owner and decider of whatever goes on out of our planets atmosphere?

"scratches head"

Warmest respects

Lags

It does seem trivial in the short term. The roadster is in a huge orbit round the Sun, around 1.8million miles from Earth, so it's not exactly local space junk, where much of the space junk is NASA's, not including secret this and that which isn't space junk, and the roadstar won't be near Earth again for nigh on a century.
NASA should think of it this way, it's a good testbed for testing materials in space...but don't tell Phage!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
NASA. Wants people to think that they are the only ones allowed to send things into orbit.
They don't like it because it shows that it can be done without zillions of tax dollars , and reusable rockets, that don't require expensive recovery efforts for the boosters ..
NASA knows where that stripped down roadster is up there and doubt its a big problem.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

She's wrong in that the problem with space debris is when it orbits earth...the roadster is in heliocentric orbit (around the sun) we do have much going on out there...

Also its kind of bull# that a government agency is using its power to regulate competition out of existence. I don't want my tax dollars going to NASA so they can squash progress because they are too incompetent to accomplish anything...

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Shes not wrong..

She complains about space pollution...I get it, tons of satellites orbiting earth all posing increasing difficulty for new missions to navigate around all this junk...and it would have been a good point had the car been in orbit around earth.

Now if Musk starts doing stuff like orbiting around earth cars, chariots, a santa and reindeer, etc...then she would have a point (although it would be awesome if he did those things...a giant golden chariot...)

Ain't gonna lie...a giant chariot that seems to chase the rising sun would be fantastic.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I bet the amount of inspiration that launch and space car has given our kids is well worth any negative effect the space car being up there.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join