It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin: Russia’s new nuclear weapons can avoid any missiles

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

MOSCOW – Russia has developed nuclear weapons that can avoid any missile defense systems and plans to bolster its arsenal with nuclear-powered cruise missiles capable of hitting any point on the globe, President Vladimir Putin claimed in his annual address to lawmakers Thursday.

He also warned that Moscow would consider any nuclear attack, of any size, on it or its allies an attack on Russia that would lead to an immediate response – adopting Cold War-style overtones that appeared to ramp up Russia’s posturing against the West and its allies.

Are they preparing for an incoming nuclear war or this is just politics?

Putin’s speech – which began with a rundown of domestic projects – quickly veered into a harsh rendering of East-West tensions and boasts over purported major advances in Russia’s arsenal such as a nuclear-powered cruise missile that could strike anywhere.

Putin did not specify any of Moscow’s allies that it would defend or cite any immediate threats. But his remarks could be seen as a message to Washington over souring relations with Moscow, including U.S. investigations into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

Putin said the United States had failed to take Russia’s nuclear might seriously or to adequately negotiate arms control. U.S. efforts to contain Russia, he said, had failed.

“No one listened to us,” Putin said. “Listen to us now.”

Seems like a threat to me.

“This is the start of a new Cold War,” said Alexander Golts, a Moscow-based independent analyst of the Russian military. “This is an effort to scare the West.”

The nearly two-hour speech to top Russian officials and members of parliament began with a series of promises to improve domestic living standards and ended with stark warnings to the United States.

Russia, Putin asserted, had responded to U.S. development of missile defense shields by developing weapons impervious to them.

On the big screen behind him, video footage and computer graphics showed off the new weapons. In one animation, a missile launched from Russia was shown flying across the Atlantic, rounding the southern tip of South America, and heading up the Pacific toward the U.S. mainland.

So what do you guys think?

Things are getting hotter and hotter or is it just the global warming?

Mercury news

NBC News

edit on 1/3/2018 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Things are getting hotter and hotter or is it just me?

Been snowing for 3 days here mate, it's just you and the story you mention is nothing more than sabre rattling

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Well, considering that everybody was expecting a speech about the incoming election, not a long one about its new nuclear capability, I don't think this is just hype.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

expect to see lots of sanctions against Russia.

Russia is actually part of a nuclear proliferation, unlike NK, so expect Trumps hammer to hit even harder on Russia than a small and defenseless country.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Are they preparing for an incoming nuclear war or this is just politics?

It's a # measuring contest.

Putin is telling us his is bigger.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I just came to see if this was here yet.

The only question I have for ol' Vladimir is "Why?". I mean I get it, the kid with the coolest toys rules the block but come on, why would you want to create a weapon that ensures we all, as a race, come to an end?

Stoo the world. I want to get off...
edit on 1/3/18 by djz3ro because: I hate autocorrect...

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Ummm...I read that this morning...

It seems we have Russia...just where we want them...

SMH

YouSir

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Well the US announced a few weeks ago that they were designing new nuclear weapons systems. Which left Russia with no choice but to abandon nuclear non proliferation and research new weapons systems too.

Which is how this works.

Sad we're entering a new era of nuclear arms races though. Massive waste of money. Massive threat to all life on earth.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Well I for one am not at all surprised by this news. NATO have had Russia choked out by missile defenses for a few years now.

On the assumption that this technology is real, who can blame them?

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Sabre-rattling with new technology. That's all it is in my opinion

link   
a reply to: Painterz

Quite. Russia were pushed into this.

link   

Russia has been developing new missiles and weapons for years now. They introduced a new SLBM, and a UUV capable of carrying nuclear warheads over long ranges.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm not so inclined to believe someone who is so well-versed in propaganda as Putin.
True or not sounds like a new arms race and America's military industrial complex is about to get a little richer.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

Well, considering that everybody was expecting a speech about the incoming election, not a long one about its new nuclear capability, I don't think this is just hype.

So what? The planet has been under the threat of this stuff for over 70 years, you going to try and out run the mushroom?

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Regardless of claims, no missile system will avoid 100% of anti missile systems, just as no anti missile system will ever be 100% effective. There are always new advances that will render whichever is being talked about less effective.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Also, this didn't start a few weeks ago. Russia were all for non proliferation but the NATO started pressing years ago and didn't hold up their end of the bargain. Russian development is evidently a defensive move.

I see no hostility in this, it's just defense.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: crtrvt

You'd better.

The Topol series is some wicked snip.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
We are where we are now because the oligarchical controllers of the United States squandered the peace dividend that followed the collapse of the Soviet Union, and chose to attempt to get control over Middle East oil and to extend American hegemony in the world through military means, rather than promote peaceful multi-lateral solutions to the world's problems.

The result was that after getting over their shock, perplexity and dealing with post Soviet chaos, Russia and other states hunkered down and played diplomatic chess until the moment came when they could be more assertive. Pakistan went nuclear in 1998 and assisted North Korea to go nuclear. Saudi Arabia has expressed interest in getting nuclear weapons.

This is the road that the United States has chosen to go down and in bipartisan fashion. America has made a fundamental judgment about human nature in doing so, i.e., that people are inherently aggressive and therefore the best plan is to do unto others before they do unto you. Unfortunately this assessment or prediction of human behavior is self-fulfilling. It doesn't "give peace a chance".

In American minds (key policy makers, decision makers) the Cold War may have ended, but the Covert Cold War never did. It just went into "spin cycle" and the use of such terms as "partners" and "partnership" and "colleague" came into fashion among the world's national leaders. It was baloney but the baloney was widely believed, particularly in the press.

Perhaps a real hope was being entertained by all involved, but it was a faint one in the face of persistent American belligerence. This attitude, this American attitude, "do unto others before they do unto you" was adopted by Russia in the Ukraine and in Crimea. It was adopted by North Korea.

It is clear that America is heading for some kind of very large "hot" war. The alternative is a return to a new "cold war" stasis, but that cannot be achieved without the full cooperation of the allies that Donald Trump has expressed such disdain for.

North Korean acquisition of nuclear weapons should have been countered by installation of ICBMs into Japan, but clearly Japan has refused to allow it. This is a major breach in America's international alliance system and has not been reported by the press.

We are in a pickle folks. Is it time for America to change its foreign policies? Is it time to give peace a chance? Can America coexist without dominating? Can America dominate without the military? Like it or not, these questions are going to be answered, if WW3 doesn't break out.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

How is that different from North Koreas threads?
Besides the fact that we know he can back it up.
Notice the reaction: silence.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

originally posted by: vinifalou

So what? The planet has been under the threat of this stuff for over 70 years, you going to try and out run the mushroom?

True. But things should not be escalating again.

The point is: it's a second Cold War now. 10 years ago we were fine.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join