It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six people in hospital after explosion in Leicester

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

A “major incident” has been declared by police after reports of an “explosion” in Leicester.

At around 7.03pm Leicestershire Fire and Rescue received calls from the public who said they had heard a blast on Hinckley Road.

A spokeswoman for the force said six fire engines had been requested and that the incident is currently being treated as a search and rescue operation.

Leicestershire police tweeted: “There has been a major incident on Hinckley Road, Leicester.

“All emergency services are currently dealing with this. Carlisle Street and part of Hinckley Road have been closed. Please avoid the area.”

'Explosion' in Leicester (UK) sees police declare major incident

A number of news sources are now confirming this 'incident'

I haven't seen anything yet to confirm the source of the explosion. Could be an accident or perish the thought more terrorism.
Let's hope there are no casualties.
edit on 25/2/2018 by mirageman because: added pic

edit on 2/25/2018 by semperfortis because: Copy the exact headline

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Mixed reports seem to confirm that a local shop has exploded and been decimated . Raging flames were towering above nearby houses.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The other thread has another pic and a video clip also..adds to the overall details between the 2..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It would make sense to merge them but I don't know if that's possible with this forum.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Looks like a gas explosion to me. Common in the UK, people tampering with their gas meter maybe to avoid paying the bill?

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman
A very small target for a terrorist attack.
It could, perhaps, be the accidental explosion of bomb-making materials.
Or possibly just the accidental explosion of a domestic gas supply.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: salty_wagyu

Another type of explosion could rupture the gas main and continue fuelling the fire.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Agreed. I suspect it may be some form of gaspipe explosion (we seem to have had more in the last few years than I remember in the previous 30)or perhaps arson?

There are more pics coming through. It looks fairly calm despite the damage.

I think the most important thing is that hopefully no one has been hurt.

EDIT TO ABOVE : It appears that 4 or more people are in critical condition.

edit on 25/2/2018 by mirageman because: edit

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
a reply to: DISRAELI

Agreed. I suspect it may be some form of gaspipe explosion (we seem to have had more in the last few years than I remember in the previous 30)or perhaps arson?

There are more pics coming through. It looks fairly calm despite the damage.

I think the most important thing is that hopefully no one has been hurt.

EDIT TO ABOVE : It appears that 4 or more people are in critical condition.

Could have been a refrigerator exploding. Perhaps the cold weather made copper piping contract in the cold. The UK has been warned of Siberian cold weather this month with temperatures going below zero. Gas mains have cut-off valves that activate if the pressure on the customer side falls below a particular level. Or someone could have left a gas fire or cooker on. Some shops are using gas and electric heaters just now because of the extreme cold.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Seems like there isn't much information leaking out (no pun intended) in the last hour or so.

But it seems like a dreadful accident whatever the cause.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
BBC are reporting that six people have been injured and taken to hospital.

www.bbc.co.uk...

All of the casualties have been taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary, the ambulance service said, and crews remain at the scene. The hospital said two patients are in a critical condition and the other four are "Walking wounded". asked people not to attend A&E unless "absolutely necessary"

There is still no lead as to the cause of the fire and explosion.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
4 dead according to latest update on sky news.

new topics

top topics

join